should I enter a photo contest?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by orida70, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. orida70

    orida70 Guest

    orida70, Mar 25, 2009

  2. orida70

    Don Stauffer Guest

    orida70 wrote:
    > Here are my pros and cons about photography contests and shows. I
    > think they are a great tool, but I've have some cautions and
    > suggestions...
    >
    > http://roycebair.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-should-i-enter-photo-contests-or.html
    >
    > I'd love to hear your comments here or on my blog.
    >
    > Royce Bair
    > YOUR PHOTO VISION
    > http://roycebair.blogspot.com/

    Here are my thoughts, even without reading your blog. Enter! If you do
    well, it is an ego boost. If you do NOT do well, it is an inspiration to
    do better next time. You may examine winners with more attention, and
    you always learn a lot studying contest entries.

    Don Stauffer, Mar 26, 2009

  3. orida70

    orida70 Guest

    On Mar 26, 8:47 am, Don Stauffer <> wrote:
    > orida70 wrote:
    > > Here are my pros and cons about photography contests and shows.  I
    > > think they are a great tool, but I've have some cautions and
    > > suggestions...

    > >http://roycebair.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-should-i-enter-photo-contes...

    > > I'd love to hear your comments here or on my blog.

    > > Royce Bair
    > > YOUR PHOTO VISION
    > >http://roycebair.blogspot.com/

    > Here are my thoughts, even without reading your blog.  Enter!  If you do
    > well, it is an ego boost. If you do NOT do well, it is an inspiration to
    > do better next time.  You may examine winners with more attention, and
    > you always learn a lot studying contest entries.

    Ego boosts are a driving force!

    orida70, Mar 26, 2009
  4. orida70

    Bob Williams Guest

    orida70 wrote:
    > On Mar 26, 8:47 am, Don Stauffer <> wrote:
    >> orida70 wrote:
    >>> Here are my pros and cons about photography contests and shows. I
    >>> think they are a great tool, but I've have some cautions and
    >>> suggestions...
    >>> http://roycebair.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-should-i-enter-photo-contes...
    >>> I'd love to hear your comments here or on my blog.
    >>> Royce Bair
    >>> YOUR PHOTO VISION
    >>> http://roycebair.blogspot.com/

    >> Here are my thoughts, even without reading your blog. Enter! If you do
    >> well, it is an ego boost. If you do NOT do well, it is an inspiration to
    >> do better next time. You may examine winners with more attention, and
    >> you always learn a lot studying contest entries.

    > Ego boosts are a driving force!

    Each Year I attend the San Diego County Fair primarily to see the Photo
    Gallery and Awards. Thousands are entered, but only hundreds are
    displayed, so the quality of almost all of the selected entries is very
    good.
    What is particularly striking is that the "People's Choice" is almost
    never a picture chosen as 1st, 2nd or 3rd place by the judges.
    Some years I tend to mainly agree with the judges picks and other years
    I wondered if the judging immediately followed their "happy hour". WTF
    were they thinking when they chose THAT?
    Judging photos is highly SUBJECTIVE exercise. I had a Professional
    Photographer friend who entered a lot of contests because a good
    placement might enhance his reputation and hence his fees.
    But very often he would NOT enter a contest because Mr. X was a judge.
    And from experience, he knew that Mr. X did not care for his style and
    would never give him an award. He was OK with that because everyone is
    entitled to his own opinion of what is good or not.
    That very same entry, under a different Judge, may win a "Best in Show"
    for him...........Go Figure.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Mar 27, 2009