    just remove everything Symantec.

    TIA

    Louise

    Louise, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Louise

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Louise - Well, if you decide to try and uninstall Norton AV the following
    may be of help:

    Norton NIS or Firewall Uninstall - do everything but the reinstall stuff.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001090510510636

    Take a look here for the AV removal tool:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606
    (Click on the little + signs to read the detailed instructions) For manual
    removal, it may also depend on your OS. See at the end of this document for
    appropriate links.

    You may want to try their removal tool in compatibilty mode before trying
    the manual uninstall, above. See here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...567ac0063608c&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

    or http://tinyurl.com/yuevl

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Louise

    speeder Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:43:55 -0400, Louise <> wrote:

    >I'm running Norton AV 2002 and have subscribed to updates. I update
    >every night via their security response webpage. And every few weeks, I
    >run Live Update.
    >
    >However, I'm becoming concerned that since Symantec doesn't support 2002
    >anymore, the virus engine itself is probably out of date.
    >
    >Is this something to be concerned about?
    >
    >If so, I know that I would now go to AVG - but I also know it will take
    >a lot of effort to really get Norton AV off my system and this will be
    >complicated by the fact that I use Ghost and WinFax Pro - so I can't
    >just remove everything Symantec.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Louise

    Tough call, Louise. In a way, appending a year to software products is
    partly a marketing gimmick to make you upgrade every year fearing
    you're missing something critical. But it is also very true that
    software and particularly virus technology evolves rapidly.

    Rule of thumb is don't change a solution that's working. But with an
    anti-virus the rule is to always keep updated!

    I'm not helping you, I know... But maybe this piece of experience will
    assist you.

    I once used Norton 2003 and was completely satisfied (never got a
    virus). The excessive bloat and grip it had on my system concerned me
    but I didn't feel confident I could remove it without hosing my system
    (I had like 150 applications installed and meticulously tweaked). I
    uninstalled *carefully* following Symantec's procedures and (luckily?)
    everything went flawlessly. I never looked back. And am I glad I am
    free from Norton's slavery! Because that's what I was, a slave.

    Never have the words "make a backup before proceeding" meant so much.

    speeder, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Louise

    optikl Guest

    Louise wrote:
    > I'm running Norton AV 2002 and have subscribed to updates. I update
    > every night via their security response webpage. And every few weeks, I
    > run Live Update.
    >
    > However, I'm becoming concerned that since Symantec doesn't support 2002
    > anymore, the virus engine itself is probably out of date.
    >
    > Is this something to be concerned about?

    In theory, yes. In practice, it would depend just how susceptible you
    are to the unintentional execution of malware.

    > If so, I know that I would now go to AVG - but I also know it will take
    > a lot of effort to really get Norton AV off my system and this will be
    > complicated by the fact that I use Ghost and WinFax Pro - so I can't
    > just remove everything Symantec.

    You can get a tool from Symantec's web site that will sufficiently
    remove significant traces of NAV 2002.

    optikl, Jun 24, 2005
  5. Louise

    Kyle Hutto Guest