    time....(If I can do that) which might get me through to Vista release...
    Will there be a cheaper 'upgrade version' of Vista? Any guesses on cost.
    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Feb 16, 2006

  2. If you're using the trial and happy with it, then I would say install the
    full version. You won't lose your settings and you'll save yourself a lot of
    grief. The only way to do the trial again would require wiping the partition
    on which x64 resides.

    Come Vista, if you're already running x64, you'll be in position to do a
    direct upgrade. And yes, upgrade versions are always cheaper than full new
    versions.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006

  3. The question is, is XP Professional x64 doing all you need it to do? Are all
    your drivers and applications compatible? Vista won't be out until later
    this year, so the trial will expire before then. I also suspect your upgrade
    path will be determined by XP Pro x64, you will probably have to upgrade to
    a Vista Pro x64 or higher SKU.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 16, 2006
  4. If we are the happy owner of an OEM version of XP Pro x64 is it your
    understanding that we too will be offered an upgrade path to Vista? I
    had assumed not but would be happy to hear different.

    J. Eric Durbin, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Yes, I would assume we would. For example, if you had an OEM version of
    Windows 2000, you could upgrade to a retail version of XP by buying the
    upgrade version. You didn't need to buy a full, fresh install, product. I'm
    assuming that the situation will be the same for Vista.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  6. I guess my question should have been......Will there be an upgrade path for
    the TRIAL X64 to Vista 64 bit?
    Thanks to the board for your replies.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Feb 16, 2006
  7. Well, I guess there would be, but the trial you have only allows about 5
    installs, you would probably have to do a lot of downloading until Vista
    arrives so that you can upgrade to the trial.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 16, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Don't think you will get credit for a free product to upgrade to Vista.
    Just a guess, but would be a first.

    John Barnes, Feb 16, 2006
  9. Reinstalling and downloading the trial so many times sounds like a chore. I
    say upgrade to the full version.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 16, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=

    Clayton Guest

    I wish people would clean install Operating Systems when they move to
    another version, upgrades are like patching pot holes in the road

    Clayton, Feb 17, 2006
  11. Yes, though I do understand the reasoning. It can be a lot of work. I'll be
    interested to see how well the Vista upgrades work, since they're using a
    somewhat different technology.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 17, 2006
  12. The staged install is what interest me in Vista, install time down to 15
    mins, that sounds like amazing stuff. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 17, 2006