    the non-listed one die faster or worse, destroy my motherboard or burn
    my house down?

    Thanks

    loomis, Mar 14, 2005

  2. loomis

    Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 04:52:13 GMT, loomis <> wrote:

    |> Hello.
    |>
    |> I am in the process of trying to build a PC. I see that one can buy UL
    |> listed and non-UL listed power supplies. The UL listed ones seem to
    |> cost a little more. Should I get a UL listed or not listed one? Will
    |> the non-listed one die faster or worse, destroy my motherboard or burn
    |> my house down?

    Doesn't a UL mark http://www.ul.com/mark/ pretty much mean they're
    satisfied it won't catch fire?

    Purchase the UL one.

    , Mar 14, 2005

  3. loomis wrote:

    > I am in the process of trying to build a PC. I see that one can buy UL
    > listed and non-UL listed power supplies. The UL listed ones seem to
    > cost a little more. Should I get a UL listed or not listed one? Will
    > the non-listed one die faster or worse, destroy my motherboard or burn
    > my house down?

    Looks like you've already got the picture. The only remaining question
    is this: are you a gambler?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 14, 2005
  4. loomis

    none Guest

    On 14 Mar 2005 07:55:06 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >loomis wrote:
    >
    >> I am in the process of trying to build a PC. I see that one can buy UL
    >> listed and non-UL listed power supplies. The UL listed ones seem to
    >> cost a little more. Should I get a UL listed or not listed one? Will
    >> the non-listed one die faster or worse, destroy my motherboard or burn
    >> my house down?

    >Looks like you've already got the picture. The only remaining question
    >is this: are you a gambler?

    Another way of looking at this is: Since it costs the manufacturer so
    little to build it to UL specs and get the certification, and since it
    adds to the perceived value of the product, why would they not want to
    do that? I think it is very scary to buy one that is not certified.

    Also, most of the really cheap power supplies have output ratings that
    are so far over their real output that it is better to get a good
    brand, IMNSHO. Personally, I use Antec 95% of the time and I think the
    extra price that I have paid is well worth it.

    In the old days, I used to see amplifier specs that were 20 times the
    actual output. I have seen a few that were 100 times the real output.
    You have to have some skill in reading the specs of any piece of
    equipment because they are worded so that an unskilled person will
    think it is better than it really is.

    I also found it interesting that the magazine reviews of some of those
    grossly overrated units used very carefully chosen words in order to
    not come right out and say the specs were false. Why not just say "The
    manufacturer claims 100 watts, but our tests showed 5 watts of clean
    power. Anything over 5 watts was so distorted that it is essentially
    unusable."

    Could their reluctance to tell the truth in an easily understandable
    way be the result of advertising dollars?

    But then this is getting too off topic, sorry :)

    none, Mar 14, 2005
  5. loomis

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "loomis" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I am in the process of trying to build a PC. I see that one can buy UL
    > listed and non-UL listed power supplies. The UL listed ones seem to
    > cost a little more. Should I get a UL listed or not listed one? Will
    > the non-listed one die faster or worse, destroy my motherboard or burn
    > my house down?
    >
    > Thanks

    All power supplies sold for use in (insert your country here) should be
    tested by whatever agencies are authorized to do such testing. In the US,
    Underwriter Labratories are *NOT* the only agency doing this kind of
    testing. And, tests by some agencies are not approved in countries other
    than the one in which they exist. For that reason, some manfacturers choose
    testing agencies that are accepted in more areas.

    The company I work for manufactures building products. They have to be
    tested. Rather than test at US testing facilities, we have them tested at
    Canadian facilities. Why? The Canadian test results are accepted in both
    Canada and US. But the US agency certifications are not accepted in Canada.
    So why would we test in the US? It would be a waste of money. The fact that
    our products show certification from labs other than UL does not in any way
    show that our products are 'below standard', and in fact, show that we
    exceed the US requirements.

    That may or may not be the case with the manufacturer of any specific power
    supply, but if you look at the label on any PS, there *will* be
    certification of some sort.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 15, 2005
  6. loomis

    Lookout Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 04:52:13 GMT, loomis <> wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >I am in the process of trying to build a PC. I see that one can buy UL
    >listed and non-UL listed power supplies. The UL listed ones seem to
    >cost a little more. Should I get a UL listed or not listed one? Will
    >the non-listed one die faster or worse, destroy my motherboard or burn
    >my house down?
    >
    >Thanks

    4 out of 5 dentists prefer URL listed power supplies.

    Lookout, Mar 15, 2005
  7. loomis

    samdib99

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    There is a huge diffrence between UL and non-UL power supplies (www.12vadapters.com)

    I am a distributor of 12 volt power supplies (and have 5 years experience in the market.) I can assure that the difference between a UL listed power supply and a non UL listed power supply is Huge.

    For our units (on www.12vadapters.com), our non UL units have a failure rate of 1%, or 1 in 100. For our UL listed units, the failure rate is close to 0%, as in I barely remember anyone ever returning a unit as having failed or been defective. There is a 10% price difference, but a huge difference in failure rate. Why is this?

    UL listing means that the product (any product) is examined, tested, and meets a minimum standard of quality. For a 12V power supply, this means the wiring has to be a certain thickness, the soldering has to be a certain strength, the power produced has to have a noise threshold that is below a pre-defined level. The non-UL units have no such quality standard or overseer, and are completely in the hands of the chinese factory, which wants to produce them as cheap as possible...

    For any device that is valuable (such as a hard drive), or critical, such as medical equipment, or sensitive to line noise, such as audio recording gear, it is really worth the upgrade to a UL listed unit.

    Sam Dib
    Owner
    12vAdapters.com

    samdib99, Jun 13, 2012