    Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    lenses.
    , Feb 10, 2007

  2. Cgiorgio Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:yxozh.6476$...
    > Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    > lenses.

    If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes better
    PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the Logo).
    Cgiorgio, Feb 10, 2007

  3. Daryl Bryant Guest

    Yes, especially since your other lenzes fit as well - nice camera!

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/

    --
    Bing Bang Boom Voila Done!
    Daryl Bryant, Feb 10, 2007
  4. ray Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:54:22 +0000, wrote:

    > Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    > lenses.

    So, what is the problem?
    ray, Feb 10, 2007
  5. Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:54:22 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    >> lenses.

    > So, what is the problem?

    I think i will buy it. It will be nice to use my old 50 mm 1.7 lens on it.
    , Feb 10, 2007
  6. Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    > > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:54:22 +0000, wrote:
    > >
    > >> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    > >> lenses.

    > > So, what is the problem?

    > I think i will buy it. It will be nice to use my old 50 mm 1.7 lens on it.

    If that older lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, you
    might have to change some settings on the camera to use it. But you
    *can* use it. :)
    Paul Mitchum, Feb 10, 2007
  7. Pete D Guest

    "Cgiorgio" <> wrote in message

    > <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    >> lenses.

    > If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
    > better PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the
    > Logo).

    K10D firmware has already had some improvements made, I would not hold my
    breath on getting Samsung updates real soon.
    Pete D, Feb 10, 2007
  8. Pete D Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >> > So, what is the problem?

    >> I think i will buy it. It will be nice to use my old 50 mm 1.7 lens on
    >> it.

    > If that older lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, you
    > might have to change some settings on the camera to use it. But you
    > *can* use it. :)

    And the F1.7 is extremely sharp.
    Pete D, Feb 10, 2007
  9. Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I think i will buy it. It will be nice to use my old 50 mm 1.7 lens on
    >>> it.

    >> If that older lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, you
    >> might have to change some settings on the camera to use it. But you
    >> *can* use it. :)

    > And the F1.7 is extremely sharp.

    Its also very old. i used it on my k1000. When went to Europe in 1982 I
    used my k1000 and a 50mm 1.7f lens. also used 64 and 100 iso slide film.

    you can view them here on my smugmug site.
    ALL of them were taken with a k1000 and 50mm lens
    http://tootal2.smugmug.com/gallery/1215642#56872965

    I think i will order the k10d kit tonight.
    , Feb 11, 2007
  10. dj_nme Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>ray wrote:

    >>>So, what is the problem?

    >>I think i will buy it. It will be nice to use my old 50 mm 1.7 lens on it.

    > If that older lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, you
    > might have to change some settings on the camera to use it. But you
    > *can* use it. :)

    Press the "green" or AEL button and the camera will auto-expose in
    manual mode, setting the aperture and shutter speed as though it's in
    program (P) mode.
    dj_nme, Feb 11, 2007
  11. Paul Mitchum Guest

    dj_nme <> wrote:

    > Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>I think i will buy it. It will be nice to use my old 50 mm 1.7 lens on
    > >>it.

    > > If that older lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, you
    > > might have to change some settings on the camera to use it. But you
    > > *can* use it. :)

    > Press the "green" or AEL button and the camera will auto-expose in manual
    > mode, setting the aperture and shutter speed as though it's in program (P)
    > mode.

    Well, not quite. At least, not on the *ist D series. You have to tell
    the camera to let you use the aperture ring to set the aperture. After
    that, you can do what you say above.

    It might be different on the K10D.
    Paul Mitchum, Feb 11, 2007
  12. Pete D Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Pete D wrote:
    >> "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    >>> If that older lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, you
    >>> might have to change some settings on the camera to use it. But you
    >>> *can* use it. :)

    >> And the F1.7 is extremely sharp.

    > Its also very old. i used it on my k1000. When went to Europe in 1982 I
    > used my k1000 and a 50mm 1.7f lens. also used 64 and 100 iso slide film.
    >
    > you can view them here on my smugmug site.
    > ALL of them were taken with a k1000 and 50mm lens
    > http://tootal2.smugmug.com/gallery/1215642#56872965
    >
    > I think i will order the k10d kit tonight.

    Have never had a K1000, as a features freak I went straight to the KM (still
    use one occasionally) and I have had a K10D since the end of last Novemeber,
    they are seriously good you will like it.
    Pete D, Feb 11, 2007
  13. On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <> wrote:

    ><> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    >> lenses.

    >If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes better
    >PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the Logo).

    But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
    won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.
    Oliver Costich, Feb 11, 2007
  14. Paul Mitchum Guest

    Oliver Costich <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <> wrote:
    > ><> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >
    > >> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    > >> lenses.

    > >If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
    > >better PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the
    > >Logo).

    > But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
    > won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

    I've never had a problem processing PEF files. What software are you
    having trouble with?
    Paul Mitchum, Feb 11, 2007
  15. On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:46:40 -0800, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    wrote:

    >Oliver Costich <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <> wrote:
    >> ><> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >> >If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
    >> >better PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the
    >> >Logo).

    >> But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
    >> won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

    >I've never had a problem processing PEF files. What software are you
    >having trouble with?

    Most notably, Adobe Camera Raw, which worked fine with PEF files up
    to, but not including, the K10D, although apparently (I just checked)
    the latest version does support the K10D files.

    I hadn't checked recently since I traded the K10D for a Nikon D80.
    Oliver Costich, Feb 11, 2007
  16. Paul Mitchum Guest

    Oliver Costich <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:46:40 -0800, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Oliver Costich <> wrote:

    > >> But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
    > >> won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

    > >I've never had a problem processing PEF files. What software are you
    > >having trouble with?

    > Most notably, Adobe Camera Raw, which worked fine with PEF files up
    > to, but not including, the K10D, although apparently (I just checked)
    > the latest version does support the K10D files.
    >
    > I hadn't checked recently since I traded the K10D for a Nikon D80.

    So then it's unfair to say that 'most' RAW workflow software won't
    process K10D files.
    Paul Mitchum, Feb 11, 2007
  17. Cgiorgio Guest

    "Oliver Costich" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <> wrote:
    >

    >><> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    >>> lenses.

    >>If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
    >>better
    >>PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the Logo).
    >>

    > But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
    > won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

    DNG is PS standard, and the GX10 comes now with Silverfast, which gives
    excellent control (and the Samsung RAW converter).
    Cgiorgio, Feb 11, 2007
  18. Guest

    wrote:
    > Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
    > lenses.

    I ordered the k10d from bhphoto.com I hope it is a good camera.

    I will post some test photos with it next week i hope.
    , Feb 12, 2007
  19. On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:23:53 -0800, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    wrote:

    >Oliver Costich <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:46:40 -0800, 0m (Paul Mitchum)
    >> wrote:

    >> >I've never had a problem processing PEF files. What software are you
    >> >having trouble with?

    >> Most notably, Adobe Camera Raw, which worked fine with PEF files up
    >> to, but not including, the K10D, although apparently (I just checked)
    >> the latest version does support the K10D files.
    >>
    >> I hadn't checked recently since I traded the K10D for a Nikon D80.

    >So then it's unfair to say that 'most' RAW workflow software won't
    >process K10D files.

    Having rechecked, ACR support is not in the current version but in
    the next version, to be released later this month. Silkypix and Bibble
    supports it, but just recently. Last time I checked most of the
    others, like Rawshooter, DxO, SharpRAW, ACDSee and Picasa do not.
    Adobe Lightroom and Apple Aperture do not.

    At this point most raw processing software does not properly read K10D
    files. It's a good bet that all will eventually.
    Oliver Costich, Feb 12, 2007
  20. On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:35:32 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <> wrote:

    >"Oliver Costich" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>><> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>>
    >>>If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
    >>>better
    >>>PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the Logo).
    >>>

    >> But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
    >> won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

    >DNG is PS standard, and the GX10 comes now with Silverfast, which gives
    >excellent control (and the Samsung RAW converter).

    TRy the White Balance settings on DNG files from the K10D and tell me
    it is correctly reading them. Not all DNG diles are created equal. The
    RAW software has to be able to read the info from the file and K10D
    DNGs are different than others.
    Oliver Costich, Feb 12, 2007