    my time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Phil

    Phil Seidel, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Phil Seidel

    MikeF Guest

    Phil,

    I teach A+ and MCSE 2000 classes. I cruised throught the depression
    with a heavy cut in pay but pretty constant work. Now that we are in
    "recovery," my ex-employer (I had got up to teaching at the second
    most important university in my area) cancelled an entire program of
    classes that included the ones I taught. I heard that sucking sound.

    As I search the job boards, I am seeing many more jobs for developers
    than for SysAdmins. My suggestion would be if you are sick of coding,
    do auto mechanics: 80 grand - I am hearing - for guys that can
    interpret the computer readouts on new cars. But if you are not sick
    of coding, continue what you are doing and add .net (lots of demand)
    Websphere (lots of demand) or any sort of middleware integration
    skills (lots of demand).

    Now, realize, I am talking about my area, Phila, PA, the most backward
    big city in the industrialized world.
    And. as with everything, location location location. So check demand
    in your location. But right now, the demand for NT admins (4.0
    through 03) seems to be only for heavy, heavy experience in large
    companies with project management experience to boot.

    That aside, yes, you can use the self paced training kits and get the
    certs. Caveat - buy other books - or spend time online downloading MS
    Kb articles and everything you can get out of the Resource kits for
    2kpro and server, XP and 03. And of course, reading them, which for
    me, is always annoying. Reading a computer screen.... but if you 've
    been developing, it may be easier. And go buy a couple amd 350s or
    pentium 2 400s or better ($60-120 apiece) and set up a little lab
    netowork. Others recommend VM ware, or Virtual Pc, but vm ware is
    more expensive and, to start out, I think you should hook a few
    computers together. Plug in that RJ-45! Run NetMon and watch those
    computers chatting with each other. See that client you plugged in
    get its IP addy from the DHCP server you just set up!

    Of course, if you go into the advertising business, you'll get an
    awful lot more women...................
    But that may not be a desideratum.

    And finally, if you decide to do it, go XP for the client and 2003
    Server. The tests for 03 are coming out regularly and i have a
    feeling, completely undocumented of course, that lots of companies
    have been waiting for 03 before either upgrading from NT 4 or
    switching to Windows. And 03 is Win2K Version 2 - the same, with lots
    more stuff. Which makes it more complicated, but might as well bite
    the complexity bullet right away. With your background, it should not
    be hard for you. But it does take time.

    best of luck,

    Mike

    "Phil Seidel" <> wrote in message
    > I have been working professionally as a web application developer

    for the
    > past 4 years. I have a pretty good job right now, but as of late I

    am
    > feeling as though I might want to change careers and work as a

    windows
    > admin. I have always had a great deal of involvement in maintaining
    > development environments, database servers, iis, and windows 2000

    servers.
    > Does anyone think that it might be worth making the transition? I

    know that
    > if I am going to change careers I should do it sooner than later.

    Is it
    > possible to obtain a MCSE certification by using the self paced

    training
    > kits on a home network (1 win2003 dc, xp pro, and 2k pro machine)

    with the
    > "limited" experience that I currently have, or am I just going to be

    wasting

    MikeF, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Phil Seidel

    Phil Seidel Guest

    Wow!
    Thanks for the feedback. I know that the job market is pretty poor right
    now, and I wouldn't even think about leaving my job unless I had something
    nice lined up. Hopefully, things will pick up and those jobs will start
    popping up again. Anyway, you mentioned that you teach... Would you have
    any recommendations for weekend classes that teach the mcse cert?

    Thanks,
    Phil

    Phil Seidel, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Phil Seidel

    pheonix1t Guest

    MikeF wrote:

    > Phil,
    >
    > I teach A+ and MCSE 2000 classes. I cruised throught the depression
    > with a heavy cut in pay but pretty constant work. Now that we are in
    > "recovery," my ex-employer (I had got up to teaching at the second
    > most important university in my area) cancelled an entire program of
    > classes that included the ones I taught. I heard that sucking sound.
    >
    > As I search the job boards, I am seeing many more jobs for developers
    > than for SysAdmins. My suggestion would be if you are sick of coding,
    > do auto mechanics: 80 grand - I am hearing - for guys that can
    > interpret the computer readouts on new cars. But if you are not sick
    > of coding, continue what you are doing and add .net (lots of demand)
    > Websphere (lots of demand) or any sort of middleware integration
    > skills (lots of demand).
    >
    > Now, realize, I am talking about my area, Phila, PA, the most backward
    > big city in the industrialized world.
    > And. as with everything, location location location. So check demand
    > in your location. But right now, the demand for NT admins (4.0
    > through 03) seems to be only for heavy, heavy experience in large
    > companies with project management experience to boot.
    >
    > That aside, yes, you can use the self paced training kits and get the
    > certs. Caveat - buy other books - or spend time online downloading MS
    > Kb articles and everything you can get out of the Resource kits for
    > 2kpro and server, XP and 03. And of course, reading them, which for
    > me, is always annoying. Reading a computer screen.... but if you 've
    > been developing, it may be easier. And go buy a couple amd 350s or
    > pentium 2 400s or better ($60-120 apiece) and set up a little lab
    > netowork. Others recommend VM ware, or Virtual Pc, but vm ware is
    > more expensive and, to start out, I think you should hook a few
    > computers together. Plug in that RJ-45! Run NetMon and watch those
    > computers chatting with each other. See that client you plugged in
    > get its IP addy from the DHCP server you just set up!
    >
    > Of course, if you go into the advertising business, you'll get an
    > awful lot more women...................
    > But that may not be a desideratum.
    >
    > And finally, if you decide to do it, go XP for the client and 2003
    > Server. The tests for 03 are coming out regularly and i have a
    > feeling, completely undocumented of course, that lots of companies
    > have been waiting for 03 before either upgrading from NT 4 or
    > switching to Windows. And 03 is Win2K Version 2 - the same, with lots
    > more stuff. Which makes it more complicated, but might as well bite
    > the complexity bullet right away. With your background, it should not
    > be hard for you. But it does take time.
    >
    > best of luck,
    >
    > Mike

    I agree with Mike....developers are usually more in demand and better
    off than pure hardware people (sys. admins, router people).
    The thing is you have to be well rounded to get good work. So,
    following Mike's advice on the .NET is wise...so is knowing Java and a
    few scripting languages (Perl and PHP for starters).
    After a while, most of the concepts are familiar, it's just the syntax
    that changes.

    Good luck,

    Oskar

    pheonix1t, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Phil Seidel

    pheonix1t Guest

    Phil Seidel wrote:

    > Wow!
    > Thanks for the feedback. I know that the job market is pretty poor right
    > now, and I wouldn't even think about leaving my job unless I had something
    > nice lined up. Hopefully, things will pick up and those jobs will start
    > popping up again. Anyway, you mentioned that you teach... Would you have
    > any recommendations for weekend classes that teach the mcse cert?

    I guess you can take classes if you prefer....I'd recommend getting a
    good set of books. The books from sybex or MSpress are usually the most
    popular. I prefer sybex but it's subjective....MSpress has gotten much
    better. A few years ago they were just aweful.
    For "industrial strength" information (real world situations),
    www.oreilly.com is your friend! Being a programmer, you may be very
    familiar with them.

    pheonix1t, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Phil Seidel

    MikeF Guest

    Since I'm waiting for the spaghetti, phoenix is right. I've seen jobs
    for NT admins that want so much scripting that you would think they
    are looking for integration and admin for the price of admin. Java is
    common. Perl and PHP are common. All of the windows scripting
    technologies are common. (even tho windows still works with good old
    bat filesm, now also called .cmd files As for the weekend classes,
    check your local community colleges. The price is usually better, and
    the edu. is as good as the faster classes at commercial computer
    training schools.

    Mike0

    MikeF, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Phil Seidel

    Phil Seidel Guest

    Thanks for the advice guys... Anything else you might wish to share feel
    free.

    Thanks.

    Phil Seidel, Nov 14, 2003