Should I be afraid???

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Bubba, Oct 25, 2007.

  1. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Hello all.

    I have a computer running both Win 2000 and Win XP. I've just recently
    noticed that while running 2000, my firewall blocks MANY attempts to
    access my computer. XP doesn't appear to be affected at all.

    Every time I boot Win2000, these attempts start even before I have a
    chance to log in. If I'm reading the firewall info correctly, several
    attempts occur each minute and attempt to access different ports in
    ascending order.

    While trying to figure this out, I discovered that the source IP address
    is the same set of numbers as my DNS client.

    Does anyone know what this is or have any suggestions?

    FYI, I have a linksys cable modem, linksys firewall router (about 5 years
    old) and Zonealarm security suite (freshly updated). ZoneAlarm reports
    no viruses. Also, I just tried a clean install of Win2000 and still had
    this happen.

    TIA,

    Bubba
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007

  2. Bubba

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns99D3BAF712120bubba@216.196.97.131>, says...
    > FYI, I have a linksys cable modem, linksys firewall router (about 5 years
    > old) and Zonealarm security suite (freshly updated). ZoneAlarm reports
    > no viruses. Also, I just tried a clean install of Win2000 and still had
    > this happen.

    You don't have a firewall, you have a NAT Router.

    If you don't have ANY Port-forwarding enabled and you have UPnP
    disabled, there then you might want to check for firmware updates
    because no unsolicited traffic should be reaching your PC through the
    NAT Router - unless you have Port-Forwarding, UPnP, or you put the
    computer in the Linksys DMZ address location.

    You could have any number of malware on the computer, but you really
    need to determine if you are actually compromised.

    Most Linksys have a LOG function, enable it and then download and
    install WALLWATCHER so that you can see, in real time, what traffic is
    entering and leaving your network.

    Since you've wiped/reinstalled 2000, why not reset the NAT router to
    factory defaults, then properly configure it to block UPnP and not use
    the DMZ and make sure that you change the password.

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.
    Leythos, Oct 25, 2007

  3. Bubba

    goarilla Guest

    Bubba wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I have a computer running both Win 2000 and Win XP. I've just recently
    > noticed that while running 2000, my firewall blocks MANY attempts to
    > access my computer. XP doesn't appear to be affected at all.
    >
    > Every time I boot Win2000, these attempts start even before I have a
    > chance to log in. If I'm reading the firewall info correctly, several
    > attempts occur each minute and attempt to access different ports in
    > ascending order.
    >
    > While trying to figure this out, I discovered that the source IP address
    > is the same set of numbers as my DNS client.

    huh ? do you mean DNS server ?

    goarilla, Oct 25, 2007
  4. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Leythos <> wrote in

    > You don't have a firewall, you have a NAT Router.

    Yeah, I was just reading a previous post on that topic. Sorry for my
    ignorance. I thought I was fairly techincal but you guys have me beat by
    a mile!

    > If you don't have ANY Port-forwarding enabled and you have UPnP
    > disabled, there then you might want to check for firmware updates
    > because no unsolicited traffic should be reaching your PC through the
    > NAT Router - unless you have Port-Forwarding, UPnP, or you put the
    > computer in the Linksys DMZ address location.
    >
    > You could have any number of malware on the computer, but you really
    > need to determine if you are actually compromised.
    >
    > Most Linksys have a LOG function, enable it and then download and
    > install WALLWATCHER so that you can see, in real time, what traffic is
    > entering and leaving your network.
    >
    > Since you've wiped/reinstalled 2000, why not reset the NAT router to
    > factory defaults, then properly configure it to block UPnP and not use
    > the DMZ and make sure that you change the password.

    Thanks Leythos. I'm not familiar port-forwarding or UPnP, but I'll do
    some research on them. I tried a firmware update last night but it
    failed for some reason. I'll try it agian now.

    I'll give the factory defaults a try again and look at Wallwatcher.

    I just did a search on blocking UPnP and didn't find much. But what I
    did find said to block ports 1900 and 5000. Is that what you mean?
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007
  5. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote in

    > huh ? do you mean DNS server ?

    Probably. I'm afraid I'm out of my depth here. But I'm learning!
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007
  6. Bubba

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns99D3C9F769801bubba@216.196.97.131>, says...
    > Leythos <> wrote in
    >

    > > You don't have a firewall, you have a NAT Router.
    > >

    > Yeah, I was just reading a previous post on that topic. Sorry for my
    > ignorance. I thought I was fairly techincal but you guys have me beat by
    > a mile!
    >

    > > If you don't have ANY Port-forwarding enabled and you have UPnP
    > > disabled, there then you might want to check for firmware updates
    > > because no unsolicited traffic should be reaching your PC through the
    > > NAT Router - unless you have Port-Forwarding, UPnP, or you put the
    > > computer in the Linksys DMZ address location.
    > >
    > > You could have any number of malware on the computer, but you really
    > > need to determine if you are actually compromised.
    > >
    > > Most Linksys have a LOG function, enable it and then download and
    > > install WALLWATCHER so that you can see, in real time, what traffic is
    > > entering and leaving your network.
    > >
    > > Since you've wiped/reinstalled 2000, why not reset the NAT router to
    > > factory defaults, then properly configure it to block UPnP and not use
    > > the DMZ and make sure that you change the password.
    > >

    > Thanks Leythos. I'm not familiar port-forwarding or UPnP, but I'll do
    > some research on them. I tried a firmware update last night but it
    > failed for some reason. I'll try it agian now.
    >
    > I'll give the factory defaults a try again and look at Wallwatcher.
    >
    > I just did a search on blocking UPnP and didn't find much. But what I
    > did find said to block ports 1900 and 5000. Is that what you mean?

    Your NAT router, if you open the administration pages for it, has a
    number of things that you can control - UPnP is one that you can
    disable.

    Leythos, Oct 25, 2007
  7. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Yup! I just found it. I tried to hurry back here tell you to ignore that
    question but I didn't make it in time.

    I'm trying some of the other thins you mentioned. I'll report back on any
    progress soon.

    Thanks again.
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007
  8. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Leythos <> wrote in

    > You could have any number of malware on the computer, but you really
    > need to determine if you are actually compromised.

    Wouldn't the clean install negate that possibility? I only installed
    SP4, factory supplied audio and video drivers, ZoneAlarm, Firefox, and
    then finally the network card driver.

    > Most Linksys have a LOG function, enable it and then download and
    > install WALLWATCHER so that you can see, in real time, what traffic is
    > entering and leaving your network.

    Done. It doesn't see what ZoneAlarm is reporting but it's seeing plenty
    of other things. That much traffic is kind of scary.

    > Since you've wiped/reinstalled 2000, why not reset the NAT router to
    > factory defaults, then properly configure it to block UPnP and not use
    > the DMZ and make sure that you change the password.

    All things done. ZoneAlarm still reports blocking attempts. But I do
    feel safer now.

    The only thing I couldn't do was update the firewall firmware. I go thru
    the motions but it just doesn't take.

    Also, I told ZoneAlarm to "Stop all internet activity" and a couple of
    blocks still happened, but not at the same furious rate as before, and
    then they stopped completely. Could this be something that Zonealarm
    itself is doing? And why wouldn't any of this be happening on XP?

    For all I know this has been happening for years and I just never
    noticed. But now that I have noticed, it worries me.

    Are there any other ideas? I'm thinking a new NAT router might be a good
    way to go.
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007
  9. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    > The only thing I couldn't do was update the firewall firmware. I go
    > thru the motions but it just doesn't take.

    I meant router firmware.
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007
  10. Bubba

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Bubba wrote:

    > Hello all.
    >
    > I have a computer running both Win 2000 and Win XP. I've just recently
    > noticed that while running 2000, my firewall blocks MANY attempts to
    > access my computer. XP doesn't appear to be affected at all.
    >
    > Every time I boot Win2000, these attempts start even before I have a
    > chance to log in. If I'm reading the firewall info correctly, several
    > attempts occur each minute and attempt to access different ports in
    > ascending order.

    > While trying to figure this out, I discovered that the source IP address
    > is the same set of numbers as my DNS client.
    >
    > Does anyone know what this is or have any suggestions?

    Hm... getting more specific? Which ports? What packet contents? What
    firewall are you running?
    Sebastian G., Oct 25, 2007
  11. Bubba

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Bubba wrote:

    > Leythos <> wrote in
    >
    >> You could have any number of malware on the computer, but you really
    >> need to determine if you are actually compromised.

    > Wouldn't the clean install negate that possibility? I only installed
    > SP4, factory supplied audio and video drivers, ZoneAlarm, Firefox, and
    > then finally the network card driver.

    Where is that a clean install? You installed ZoneAlarm again, so how could
    you get any reliable networking at all?

    > Done. It doesn't see what ZoneAlarm is reporting but it's seeing plenty
    > of other things. That much traffic is kind of scary.

    OK. And now what about any reliable information source on any reliable system?

    > All things done. ZoneAlarm still reports blocking attempts. But I do
    > feel safer now.

    Huh? You have ZoneAlarm installed. Now how could you be safe in any way? And
    do you have any reliable reports somewhere?

    > Also, I told ZoneAlarm to "Stop all internet activity" and a couple of
    > blocks still happened, but not at the same furious rate as before, and
    > then they stopped completely. Could this be something that Zonealarm
    > itself is doing? And why wouldn't any of this be happening on XP?

    Because ZoneAlarm is a nondeterministic software supposed to randomly
    introduce networking errors? Seems to work quite well.

    > For all I know this has been happening for years and I just never
    > noticed. But now that I have noticed, it worries me.

    Wait a moment... you have been running ZoneAlarm on this machine for years
    long? Now you should seriously consider the machine as compromised and you
    being a total fool.

    > Are there any other ideas? I'm thinking a new NAT router might be a good
    > way to go.

    No, you're not thinking about it at all. Anyway else you'd immediately
    notice that this is another foolish idea.
    Sebastian G., Oct 25, 2007
  12. Bubba

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:50:46 +0200, "Sebastian G." <>
    wrote:

    >Wait a moment... you have been running ZoneAlarm on this machine for years
    >long? Now you should seriously consider the machine as compromised and you
    >being a total fool.

    you got something against ZA ?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 25, 2007
  13. Bubba

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns99D3DD8CA63A1bubba@216.196.97.131>, says...
    > Leythos <> wrote in
    >

    > > You could have any number of malware on the computer, but you really
    > > need to determine if you are actually compromised.

    > Wouldn't the clean install negate that possibility? I only installed
    > SP4, factory supplied audio and video drivers, ZoneAlarm, Firefox, and
    > then finally the network card driver.

    No, you could be installing bad/infected applications or other
    compromised software - since you're installing non-MS software from
    unknown sources and in an unknown state, we don't really know that
    you're using clean software.

    > > Most Linksys have a LOG function, enable it and then download and
    > > install WALLWATCHER so that you can see, in real time, what traffic is
    > > entering and leaving your network.

    > Done. It doesn't see what ZoneAlarm is reporting but it's seeing plenty
    > of other things. That much traffic is kind of scary.

    No, it's not scary, it's normal. What you want ot know is what things
    actually make it INTO your network - if nothing is making it INTO your
    network then ZA is giving false alarms or is telling you of something
    INSIDE your network that is contacting your PC.

    > > Since you've wiped/reinstalled 2000, why not reset the NAT router to
    > > factory defaults, then properly configure it to block UPnP and not use
    > > the DMZ and make sure that you change the password.
    > >

    > All things done. ZoneAlarm still reports blocking attempts. But I do
    > feel safer now.

    What is it reporting - you need to tell us exactly what it's reporting.

    > The only thing I couldn't do was update the firewall firmware. I go thru
    > the motions but it just doesn't take.
    >
    > Also, I told ZoneAlarm to "Stop all internet activity" and a couple of
    > blocks still happened, but not at the same furious rate as before, and
    > then they stopped completely. Could this be something that Zonealarm
    > itself is doing? And why wouldn't any of this be happening on XP?
    >
    > For all I know this has been happening for years and I just never
    > noticed. But now that I have noticed, it worries me.
    >
    > Are there any other ideas? I'm thinking a new NAT router might be a good
    > way to go.

    First, if you have a NAT Router, there is nothing that Zone Alarm will
    provide that is better than the NAT Router. The NAT Router already
    blocks INBOUND connections that you didn't request - meaning that you or
    your computer has to reach out and connect to something before it can
    connect to you/your computer.

    Leythos, Oct 25, 2007
  14. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Leythos <> wrote in

    >What you want ot know is what things
    > actually make it INTO your network - if nothing is making it INTO your
    > network then ZA is giving false alarms or is telling you of something
    > INSIDE your network that is contacting your PC.

    I'm starting to lean towards the false alarm theory. As I said before,
    this is going on even after ZA is told to stop all internet activity.

    Also, last night I installed a plain ZA firewall (no anti-virus, ect) and
    it reported nothing. I'm starting to think the Security Suite is causing
    this. I'll give ZA a shout and see what they say.

    > What is it reporting - you need to tell us exactly what it's
    > reporting.

    "ZoneAlarm Security Suite blocked traffic to port 1036 on your machine
    from port 53 on a remote computer whose IP address is 24.93.##.###."

    24.93.##.### is the same number as my DNS, according to the router. The
    port numbers increase, with some numbers being skipped, on every block.
    And the numbers reset to 1025 or 1026 every time I reboot to Win2k

    If I block that IP address, I get no more internet.

    I'm still learing about Wallwatcher, but it isn't reporting anything from
    that IP.
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007
  15. Bubba

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns99D475C84ADDBbubba@216.196.97.131>, says...
    > Leythos <> wrote in
    >

    > >What you want ot know is what things
    > > actually make it INTO your network - if nothing is making it INTO your
    > > network then ZA is giving false alarms or is telling you of something
    > > INSIDE your network that is contacting your PC.
    > >

    > I'm starting to lean towards the false alarm theory. As I said before,
    > this is going on even after ZA is told to stop all internet activity.
    >
    > Also, last night I installed a plain ZA firewall (no anti-virus, ect) and
    > it reported nothing. I'm starting to think the Security Suite is causing
    > this. I'll give ZA a shout and see what they say.
    >

    > > What is it reporting - you need to tell us exactly what it's
    > > reporting.
    > >

    > "ZoneAlarm Security Suite blocked traffic to port 1036 on your machine
    > from port 53 on a remote computer whose IP address is 24.93.##.###."
    >
    > 24.93.##.### is the same number as my DNS, according to the router. The
    > port numbers increase, with some numbers being skipped, on every block.
    > And the numbers reset to 1025 or 1026 every time I reboot to Win2k
    >
    > If I block that IP address, I get no more internet.
    >
    > I'm still learing about Wallwatcher, but it isn't reporting anything from
    > that IP.

    Port 53 is used for DNS - it could be that YOUR computer is reaching out
    for DNS information, as you indicate, and that it's not inbound by poor
    working of ZA.

    As for WW, make sure you have it set to show IN/OUT connections.

    Leythos, Oct 25, 2007
  16. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Leythos <> wrote in

    > Port 53 is used for DNS - it could be that YOUR computer is reaching
    > out for DNS information, as you indicate, and that it's not inbound by
    > poor working of ZA.
    >
    > As for WW, make sure you have it set to show IN/OUT connections.

    WW seems to be doing it's thing well. Lots of "i" and "o" listings.

    I think I'll try someone else's firewall and see if it reports the same
    thing.
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007
  17. Bubba

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns99D47B3454686bubba@216.196.97.131>, says...
    > Leythos <> wrote in
    >

    > > Port 53 is used for DNS - it could be that YOUR computer is reaching
    > > out for DNS information, as you indicate, and that it's not inbound by
    > > poor working of ZA.
    > >
    > > As for WW, make sure you have it set to show IN/OUT connections.
    > >

    > WW seems to be doing it's thing well. Lots of "i" and "o" listings.
    >
    > I think I'll try someone else's firewall and see if it reports the same
    > thing.

    You don't need a soft firewall, the router provides better protection in
    most cases.

    You need to pay attention to the I's that show a local IP address, if
    they only show it ending in your public IP it means that it was blocked,
    if it shows a local IP then it means that it got in your network.

    You also need to watch the OUTBOUND so that you can see what is going
    out - in case you had a rouge malware that was doing bad things.

    Leythos, Oct 25, 2007
  18. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Leythos <> wrote in

    > You need to pay attention to the I's that show a local IP address, if
    > they only show it ending in your public IP it means that it was blocked,
    > if it shows a local IP then it means that it got in your network.

    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, but let me give it a try.

    Most of the inbound attemts appear to want to want to contact my real world
    IP address.

    But I've found one that was trying (or did) contact my router IP of
    192.168.1.100.

    Is that what you mean for me to watch out for?

    WW reports no contact from 24.93.##.###
    Bubba, Oct 25, 2007
  19. Bubba

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns99D4814824891bubba@216.196.97.131>, says...
    > Leythos <> wrote in
    >

    > > You need to pay attention to the I's that show a local IP address, if
    > > they only show it ending in your public IP it means that it was blocked,
    > > if it shows a local IP then it means that it got in your network.

    > I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, but let me give it a try.
    >
    > Most of the inbound attemts appear to want to want to contact my real world
    > IP address.
    >
    > But I've found one that was trying (or did) contact my router IP of
    > 192.168.1.100.
    >
    > Is that what you mean for me to watch out for?
    >
    > WW reports no contact from 24.93.##.###

    If the inbound shows a PRIVATE IP then it means that something OUTSIDE
    made it INSIDE your network - the only way that can happen is if you've
    enabled UPnP on the router or if you've setup port forwarding.

    Disable UPnP on the router, Disable Port Forwarding, Disable Admin
    Forwarding, Disable GAME forwarding, Disable "Trigger" Forwarding,
    disable DMZ address if it has one.

    Leythos, Oct 25, 2007
  20. Bubba

    goarilla Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <Xns99D4814824891bubba@216.196.97.131>, says...
    >> Leythos <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> You need to pay attention to the I's that show a local IP address, if
    >>> they only show it ending in your public IP it means that it was blocked,
    >>> if it shows a local IP then it means that it got in your network.

    >> I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, but let me give it a try.
    >>
    >> Most of the inbound attemts appear to want to want to contact my real world
    >> IP address.
    >>
    >> But I've found one that was trying (or did) contact my router IP of
    >> 192.168.1.100.
    >>
    >> Is that what you mean for me to watch out for?
    >>
    >> WW reports no contact from 24.93.##.###

    > If the inbound shows a PRIVATE IP then it means that something OUTSIDE
    > made it INSIDE your network - the only way that can happen is if you've
    > enabled UPnP on the router or if you've setup port forwarding.
    >
    > Disable UPnP on the router, Disable Port Forwarding, Disable Admin
    > Forwarding, Disable GAME forwarding, Disable "Trigger" Forwarding,
    > disable DMZ address if it has one.

    and disable telnet, http interface, ssh (remote management) on the WAN
    side as well
    goarilla, Oct 25, 2007