    D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile

    and added the above line. Restarted thunderbird but it hasn't made any
    difference.... any suggestions?

    Moo, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Moo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just installed Mozilla Thunderbird to try it in place of Outlook express
    > and it seems pretty good, however, the news group names are shortened to
    > just a few letters which can make selecting the right news group annoying.
    >
    > I googled it and came up with a answer saying that is needed to add the
    > line user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate",false); to my user.js file.
    >
    > I didn't have a user.js file so I created it in the following folder:
    >
    > D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile
    >
    > and added the above line. Restarted thunderbird but it hasn't made any
    > difference.... any suggestions?

    You were correct about creating your own user.js, but you inserted it in
    the folder that holds defaults for newly created profiles, rather then
    in the profile itself. Delete that file.

    There is an easier way to do this, using the ui.

    Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Config Editor

    In the Filter field, type mail.server.default.abbreviate

    Right click on the pref and click Toggle to change it to False.

    For future reference, here are the locations for profiles of Mozilla
    apps in various versions of Windows.

    Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Netscape7, or Firefox (For Mozilla/SeaMonkey/NS7
    profiles look in the Profiles subfolder, for Firefox, look in
    Firefox\Profiles)

    WinXP, 2K:
    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla

    Win ME, 98:
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla

    For Thunderbird, replace Mozilla with Thunderbird in above paths.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Moo

    Moo Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Moo wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Just installed Mozilla Thunderbird to try it in place of Outlook
    >> express and it seems pretty good, however, the news group names are
    >> shortened to just a few letters which can make selecting the right
    >> news group annoying.
    >>
    >> I googled it and came up with a answer saying that is needed to add
    >> the line user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate",false); to my
    >> user.js file.
    >>
    >> I didn't have a user.js file so I created it in the following folder:
    >>
    >> D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile
    >>
    >> and added the above line. Restarted thunderbird but it hasn't made
    >> any difference.... any suggestions?

    > You were correct about creating your own user.js, but you inserted it in
    > the folder that holds defaults for newly created profiles, rather then
    > in the profile itself. Delete that file.
    >
    > There is an easier way to do this, using the ui.
    >
    > Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Config Editor
    >
    > In the Filter field, type mail.server.default.abbreviate
    >
    > Right click on the pref and click Toggle to change it to False.
    >
    > For future reference, here are the locations for profiles of Mozilla
    > apps in various versions of Windows.
    >
    > Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Netscape7, or Firefox (For Mozilla/SeaMonkey/NS7
    > profiles look in the Profiles subfolder, for Firefox, look in
    > Firefox\Profiles)
    >
    > WinXP, 2K:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla
    >
    > Win ME, 98:
    > C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla
    >
    > For Thunderbird, replace Mozilla with Thunderbird in above paths.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks very much, that did the job!

    Moo, Sep 15, 2006