    If i remember right the problem came after i've solved the problem with
    "BOOTMGR" because i have SATA2 and an IDE harddisk.

    /Denno
    Denno, Dec 23, 2007

  2. "solved the problem with boot manager"? You'll need/want to tell us what you
    did there. My guess is something you probably shouldn't have.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 23, 2007

  3. Denno

    Denno Guest

    Well i found a guy in a forum who had the same problem as i had with the
    missing BOOTMGR file and he decribed how he got this problem too.

    Like i have on my pc, he had an IDE-disk and a SATA2-disk, and installed
    Vista on the SATA2-disk. The problem is by doing so, Vista places it's boot
    files on the IDE-disk and since vista is installed on SATA2, it's not
    possible to boot Vista. What he said that could be done, was first to unplug
    the IDE-disk. Then boot on the Vista cd and make a repair there. Then plug
    the IDE-disk into the pc again, and vista should be able to boot without
    problems with the with or without the IDE-disk. It worked perfectly to me.

    I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong here, but oh well. You may never know.

    Denno, Dec 24, 2007
  4. Vista can be installed on any (permanent) disk it can see in your system. It
    will install boot files on the first drive in your BIOS.

    By changing things around, it sounds like you've got drive assignments not
    where Vista thinks they should be, causing this issue. Since this is a new
    installation, I'd strongly recommend starting over.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 24, 2007
  5. VistaBoot Pro 3.3 can write the bootloader (both legacy and Vista) files to
    whatever disk (even all of them) you want. It uses a GUI and is an
    indispensible tool.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 24, 2007
  6. Denno

    Denno Guest

    The guy where i got this help from explained in detail (in Danish though) on
    how Vista accidantly puts it's boot files on the IDE, and his solution worked
    fine for me, so i will stick to his point of view on this problem.

    I was wondering if i should try reinstalling Vista. Just a lot of work.

    Another thing I've noticed is that it's typical those programs that get
    installed in the folder "Program Files (x86)" that's exactly these programs
    where the shortcuts are missing.

    Denno, Dec 24, 2007
  7. Denno

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Denno.

    Every Windows since at least WinNT4.0 has installed in TWO parts:
    1. A few startup files into the System Partition.
    2. The rest of Windows into the \Windows folder on the Boot Volume.

    When there's only a single hard drive and only a single partition, good old
    Drive C:, everything goes into that Drive C:. It's not even obvious that
    there are two parts.

    But when there are multiple hard drives or multiple partitions on a single
    hard drive, things can get more complicated - and confusing if we forget
    that 2-part structure. And when we mix different drive interfaces
    (IDE/ATA/PATA, SCSI, SATA, etc.) the BIOS can play tricks on us. Older
    BIOSes ALWAYS tried first to boot from IDE, even if WE wanted to boot from
    the SCSI drive. Newer BIOSes have more options, but we have to study the
    manual to learn the right settings, and your BIOS is probably different from
    mine.

    Ambiguous and counterintuitive terminology also makes it hard to explain
    clearly. We boot from the System Partition and keep the operating system
    files in the Boot Volume. See KB 314470:
    Definitions for system volume and boot volume

    When you "installed Vista on the SATA2-disk", the Boot Volume was created
    there, the \Windows folder was created there, and all those GBs of files I
    mentioned under Part 2, above, went there. But the start-up files (Part 1,
    above), including the bootmgr file, went to the System Partition, which was
    on the drive then designated in your BIOS as the boot device - and that,
    apparently, was your IDE drive.

    This is a completely normal situation, Denno. Vista (and earlier Windows)
    is quite happy to start the boot-up on IDE and then, using instructions it
    finds in bootmgr and the hidden \Boot folder there, find Vista on the SATA
    drive and load it from there. But it would be just as happy to start from a
    System Partition on the SATA drive - if you adjust the BIOS or drive cable
    configuration.

    If you remove the IDE drive completely and have only the SATA connected when
    you boot from the Vista DVD to install, then Setup will have no choice but
    to put the startup files (including bootmgr) into the Active (bootable)
    primary partition on that SATA drive. You can tell Setup to "install" Vista
    into that same partition, or to use (and even to create, if necessary) a
    different partition on that drive. Whichever volume you specify will become
    the boot volume and will be assigned the letter Drive C:. If it is not the
    same as the System Partition, then that partition will get the next
    available letter, most likely Drive D:.

    What often happens - and may have happened in your case - is that both the
    IDE and SATA drives are connected when we run Setup by booting from the
    Vista DVD. We say to install Vista on Drive V: (or whatever), which is on
    the SATA drive, and all those Part 2 files are written to V:\Windows, but
    the BIOS shows the IDE as the boot device, so bootmgr is written to the IDE.
    When the installation is all done, we remove the IDE and the SATA becomes
    the boot device - but there are no startup files on it, so Vista cannot boot
    from it.

    To get those startup files onto the SATA drive, you'll need to run Setup
    again. But you should not have to run the whole thing. When it gets to the
    part about "repairing" the startup files, just have it create the needed
    files on the SATA drive. Then you should be good to go. Later, you can
    plug in the IDE and set your BIOS to boot from your choice of either the IDE
    or the SATA.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Dec 24, 2007
  8. Well, by all means, ask your danish expert.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 24, 2007
  9. Denno

    Denno Guest

    That pretty much is what i got told, and the way you said to solve it was
    exactly the same i did.
    ´
    Because of my other problem I've described on the top, i'm pretty sure i
    will reinstall Vista. Just a last thing i want to be sure:
    If i remove the IDE-disk before i start installing vista, and plug it into
    the pc again when Vista is up and running again, will i then get these boot
    problems again?

    Denno, Dec 25, 2007
  10. Denno

    Denno Guest

    I've just reinstalled Vista 64-bit and installed a few security software +
    other stuff, and already now i can see that i get the same problem as i
    started out with. Some shortcuts are missing.

    Here's what I've found out so far:

    - Programs where you can choose to make these shortcuts, these programs
    place their shortcuts (If you choose to do so).

    - Programs that install themselves in "Programs Files" make their shortcuts,
    where as progams that install themselves in "Program Files (x86)" don't, even
    if they normally do so.

    - The programs where the shortcuts are missing, they can be found in the
    controlpanel or find it manually in c:/program files (x86)/...

    Denno, Dec 25, 2007