    mostly not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    --
    Regards
    Mike, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    <Troll group snipped>

    There is a problem with assigning shortcut keys from task bars,
    or the quicklaunch bar. Use the shortcuts in the Start
    Menu / Programs to assign your shortcuts, instead.

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:59:32 +0100, in
    <cckjkj$s97$>
    Mike scrawled:

    >XP Home.
    >
    >On the properties sheet of shortcuts to Windows applications there is a
    >field called 'Shortcut key' which allows the addition of a letter plus a
    >mandatory Ctrl+Alt to open the file by key combination. Thus Ctrl+Alt+N
    >would open notepad if this combination were put in a shortcut to
    >notepad.exe. This is a very useful function but it hardly ever seems to
    >actually work. Am I missing anything? I set up a shortcut to application X,
    >put Ctrl+Alt+X in the shortcut key field, close and press Ctrl+Alt+X and
    >nothing happens. The process taunts me by working with a few files but
    >mostly not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Mike

    Gaz Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > XP Home.
    >
    > On the properties sheet of shortcuts to Windows applications there is a
    > field called 'Shortcut key' which allows the addition of a letter plus a
    > mandatory Ctrl+Alt to open the file by key combination. Thus Ctrl+Alt+N
    > would open notepad if this combination were put in a shortcut to
    > notepad.exe. This is a very useful function but it hardly ever seems to
    > actually work. Am I missing anything? I set up a shortcut to application

    X,
    > put Ctrl+Alt+X in the shortcut key field, close and press Ctrl+Alt+X and
    > nothing happens. The process taunts me by working with a few files but
    > mostly not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Regards

    That feature doesn't work properly. You can set shortcut keys to favourites
    as well but they stop working after a while.

    Cheers.
    Gaz, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Gaz wrote:

    > That feature doesn't work properly. You can set shortcut keys to
    > favourites as well but they stop working after a while.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!
    Gaz, the ablated, taxing hotelier, Jul 9, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > <Troll group snipped>
    >
    > There is a problem with assigning shortcut keys from task bars,
    > or the quicklaunch bar. Use the shortcuts in the Start
    > Menu / Programs to assign your shortcuts, instead.
    >

    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:59:32 +0100, in
    > <cckjkj$s97$>
    > Mike scrawled:
    >
    >> XP Home.
    >>
    >> On the properties sheet of shortcuts to Windows applications there
    >> is a field called 'Shortcut key' which allows the addition of a
    >> letter plus a mandatory Ctrl+Alt to open the file by key
    >> combination. Thus Ctrl+Alt+N would open notepad if this combination
    >> were put in a shortcut to notepad.exe. This is a very useful
    >> function but it hardly ever seems to actually work. Am I missing
    >> anything? I set up a shortcut to application X, put Ctrl+Alt+X in
    >> the shortcut key field, close and press Ctrl+Alt+X and nothing
    >> happens. The process taunts me by working with a few files but
    >> mostly not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Thanks for this. Windows help did not mention that the shortcut needed to be
    within the start menu hierarchy or on the desktop. Works for me now - also
    someone in another ng mentioned using Shortcuts Map to see which if any are
    already assigned. Thanks again.

    http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/shortcuts/

    --
    Regards
    Mike, Jul 9, 2004
  6. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 06:51:39 +0100, in
    <cclbpa$ife$>
    Mike scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> <Troll group snipped>
    >>
    >> There is a problem with assigning shortcut keys from task bars,
    >> or the quicklaunch bar. Use the shortcuts in the Start
    >> Menu / Programs to assign your shortcuts, instead.

    <snip>

    >Thanks for this. Windows help did not mention that the shortcut needed to be
    >within the start menu hierarchy or on the desktop. Works for me now - also
    >someone in another ng mentioned using Shortcuts Map to see which if any are
    >already assigned. Thanks again.
    >
    >http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/shortcuts/

    You're welcome.

    --