    wireless icons are located?
    tia,
    rt
    rt, Aug 18, 2007

  2. rt <> hath wroth:

    >For some unknown reason Windows changed the default quick launch
    >icon for the wireless network to a tiny icon that nearly blends
    >in with the task bar. I'd like to change it back to the default
    >icon, but I can't find it in shell32.dll or a few other dll's in
    >the system32 dir that I looked at. Does anyone know where the
    >wireless icons are located?

    Well, to change the icon, right click on the quicklaunch icon, select
    "properties" and punch the "change icon" button.

    The problem is that I can't tell what you're using for a wireless
    device that would have a desktop icon or a shortcut (or copy) of that
    icon in the quicklaunch area. It's probably mixed in with one of the
    driver libraries (DLL's) that came with the manufacturers card. It
    won't be in shell32.dll as those are just the ones that come with
    Windoze. It's also not the Wireless Zero Config icon, which appears
    in the system tray, not the quicklaunch area. Anyway, try digging
    through the wireless device manufacturers driver or client connection
    manager files.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Jeff Liebermann, Aug 18, 2007

  3. rt

    rt Guest

    Jeff Liebermann <> wrote in

    > rt <> hath wroth:
    >
    >>For some unknown reason Windows changed the default quick

    launch
    >>icon for the wireless network to a tiny icon that nearly

    blends
    >>in with the task bar. I'd like to change it back to the

    default
    >>icon, but I can't find it in shell32.dll or a few other dll's

    in
    >>the system32 dir that I looked at. Does anyone know where the
    >>wireless icons are located?

    > Well, to change the icon, right click on the quicklaunch icon,

    select
    > "properties" and punch the "change icon" button.
    >
    > The problem is that I can't tell what you're using for a

    wireless
    > device that would have a desktop icon or a shortcut (or copy)

    of that
    > icon in the quicklaunch area. It's probably mixed in with one

    of the
    > driver libraries (DLL's) that came with the manufacturers

    card. It
    > won't be in shell32.dll as those are just the ones that come

    with
    > Windoze. It's also not the Wireless Zero Config icon, which

    appears
    > in the system tray, not the quicklaunch area. Anyway, try

    digging
    > through the wireless device manufacturers driver or client

    connection
    > manager files.

    Thanks. I looked in device manager for Broadcom and read that
    its driver is in system32/drivers, but the driver file doesn't
    contain any icons. BTW, the icon next to Wireless Network
    Connection in the Nework Connections folder is the default icon
    I'm trying to find.
    rt
    rt, Aug 19, 2007
  4. rt <> hath wroth:

    >Thanks. I looked in device manager for Broadcom and read that
    >its driver is in system32/drivers, but the driver file doesn't
    >contain any icons. BTW, the icon next to Wireless Network
    >Connection in the Nework Connections folder is the default icon
    >I'm trying to find.
    >rt

    No problem.
    Control Panel -> Network
    Right click on the Wireless device and select "properties"
    Check the box inscribed "Show icon when connected".

    If that's not it, right click and hold on the Wireless device icon and
    drag it to the desktop. Release and select "create shortcut". If you
    want a copy of that icon on the Quick Launch area, just drag the
    shortcut to the Quick Launch area and again select "create shortcut".

    Note that if you're using the Broadcom client connection manager, you
    may get TWO icons in the system tray. The one owned by Windoze will
    complain that some other program is managing the connection.

    Jeff Liebermann, Aug 19, 2007
  5. rt

    Yes Baby Guest

    "Jeff Liebermann" <> wrote in message
    > rt <> hath wroth:
    >
    >>Thanks. I looked in device manager for Broadcom and read that
    >>its driver is in system32/drivers, but the driver file doesn't
    >>contain any icons. BTW, the icon next to Wireless Network
    >>Connection in the Nework Connections folder is the default icon
    >>I'm trying to find.
    >>rt

    > No problem.
    > Control Panel -> Network
    > Right click on the Wireless device and select "properties"
    > Check the box inscribed "Show icon when connected".
    >
    > If that's not it, right click and hold on the Wireless device icon and
    > drag it to the desktop. Release and select "create shortcut". If you
    > want a copy of that icon on the Quick Launch area, just drag the
    > shortcut to the Quick Launch area and again select "create shortcut".
    >
    > Note that if you're using the Broadcom client connection manager, you
    > may get TWO icons in the system tray. The one owned by Windoze will
    > complain that some other program is managing the connection.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Liebermann
    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    > Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

    you really have not understood the ops q...............they clearly state
    the icon is there but undersize.
    Yes Baby, Aug 19, 2007
  6. rt

    rt Guest

    Jeff Liebermann <> wrote in

    > rt <> hath wroth:
    >
    >>Thanks. I looked in device manager for Broadcom and read that
    >>its driver is in system32/drivers, but the driver file doesn't
    >>contain any icons. BTW, the icon next to Wireless Network
    >>Connection in the Nework Connections folder is the default

    icon
    >>I'm trying to find.
    >>rt

    > No problem.
    > Control Panel -> Network
    > Right click on the Wireless device and select "properties"
    > Check the box inscribed "Show icon when connected".
    >
    > If that's not it, right click and hold on the Wireless device

    icon
    > and drag it to the desktop. Release and select "create

    shortcut".
    > If you want a copy of that icon on the Quick Launch area,

    just
    > drag the shortcut to the Quick Launch area and again select
    > "create shortcut".
    >
    > Note that if you're using the Broadcom client connection

    manager,
    > you may get TWO icons in the system tray. The one owned by
    > Windoze will complain that some other program is managing the
    > connection.

    Thanks. I considered doing that last night, but not being sure
    of the outcome, didn't do it. After reading your response this
    morning I followed your advice. First, I deleted the Quick
    Launch shortcut that has the tiny icon from the taskbar, then
    dragged the new shortcut to the taskbar. I get the same tiny
    icon that was deleted. The icon in Control Panel/Network
    Connections is the one I want, but when it's dragged to the
    taskbar its icon is changed. BTW, I looked at the deleted Quick
    Launch shortcut in the recycle bin. Instead of the tiny icon, it
    now has the same icon as shown in Control Panel/Network
    Connections. So, the only place where that tiny icon shows up is
    on the Quick Launch part of the taskbar. It's not only tiny, it
    doesn't even look like the icon I want to restore.
    rt
    rt, Aug 19, 2007
  7. rt <> hath wroth:

    >So, the only place where that tiny icon shows up is
    >on the Quick Launch part of the taskbar. It's not only tiny, it
    >doesn't even look like the icon I want to restore.
    >rt

    Ok, let's try a different ploy. I'll assume that it's the correct
    icon, but that Windoze is not showing all the possible icon colors. Go
    unto:

    Control Panel -> Display -> Effects
    and check the box labeled "Show Icons using all possible colors".

    Control Panel -> Display -> Settings
    and make sure you have 32 bit color selected.

    You may need to reboot to see the effects of these changes.

    Jeff Liebermann, Aug 19, 2007
  8. rt

    rt Guest

    Jeff Liebermann <> wrote in

    > rt <> hath wroth:
    >
    >>So, the only place where that tiny icon shows up is
    >>on the Quick Launch part of the taskbar. It's not only tiny,

    it
    >>doesn't even look like the icon I want to restore.
    >>rt

    > Ok, let's try a different ploy. I'll assume that it's the

    correct
    > icon, but that Windoze is not showing all the possible icon
    > colors. Go unto:
    >
    > Control Panel -> Display -> Effects
    > and check the box labeled "Show Icons using all possible
    > colors".
    >
    > Control Panel -> Display -> Settings
    > and make sure you have 32 bit color selected.
    >
    > You may need to reboot to see the effects of these changes.

    It's not the correct icon. This pasteup image will show you what
    the icons look like:

    http://i12.tinypic.com/4voft7d.jpg

    The image is about twice normal size. The icon at the right in
    the taskbar image is the one I'm trying to change. I want to
    replace it with the icon shown to the left of Wireless Network
    Connections. BTW, I didn't find "Show Icons using all possible
    colors". I have XP Home SP2. Under Appearance/Effects is "use
    large icons", which is unchecked.

    rt
    rt, Aug 19, 2007
  9. rt <> hath wroth:

    >It's not the correct icon. This pasteup image will show you what
    >the icons look like:
    >http://i12.tinypic.com/4voft7d.jpg

    I presume you mean the icon on the far right. That's not the WZC icon
    from Windoze. It's something that came with your wireless device. You
    said it was Broadcom, but that's just the chipset, not the card
    manufactory.

    Incidentally, try this. Right click on the icon in the quick launch,
    select properties, then the Shortcut tab. It should show the "Target"
    which is probably the also the program or at least the directory that
    has the icon. You can also select "change icon" which will tell you
    exactly which file has the icon and offer some others that might be
    attached to the library.

    >The image is about twice normal size. The icon at the right in
    >the taskbar image is the one I'm trying to change. I want to
    >replace it with the icon shown to the left of Wireless Network
    >Connections. BTW, I didn't find "Show Icons using all possible
    >colors". I have XP Home SP2. Under Appearance/Effects is "use
    >large icons", which is unchecked.

    Sorry, my fault. I'm on a Windoze 2000 machine right now. I thought
    it was the same as XP. Hang on while I warm up the XP box... yawn...
    updates.., yawn... reboot... yawn... ok. Bummer. The icon colors
    selection is missing in XP. Never mind.

    Jeff Liebermann, Aug 19, 2007
  10. rt

    rt Guest

    Jeff Liebermann <> wrote in

    > rt <> hath wroth:
    >
    >>It's not the correct icon. This pasteup image will show you

    what
    >>the icons look like:
    >>http://i12.tinypic.com/4voft7d.jpg

    > I presume you mean the icon on the far right. That's not the

    WZC
    > icon from Windoze. It's something that came with your

    wireless
    > device. You said it was Broadcom, but that's just the chipset,

    not
    > the card manufactory.
    >
    > Incidentally, try this. Right click on the icon in the quick
    > launch, select properties, then the Shortcut tab. It should

    show
    > the "Target" which is probably the also the program or at

    least
    > the directory that has the icon. You can also select "change
    > icon" which will tell you exactly which file has the icon and
    > offer some others that might be attached to the library.
    >
    >>The image is about twice normal size. The icon at the right in
    >>the taskbar image is the one I'm trying to change. I want to
    >>replace it with the icon shown to the left of Wireless Network
    >>Connections. BTW, I didn't find "Show Icons using all possible
    >>colors". I have XP Home SP2. Under Appearance/Effects is "use
    >>large icons", which is unchecked.

    > Sorry, my fault. I'm on a Windoze 2000 machine right now. I
    > thought it was the same as XP. Hang on while I warm up the XP
    > box... yawn... updates.., yawn... reboot... yawn... ok.

    Bummer.
    > The icon colors selection is missing in XP. Never mind.

    I tried finding the target yesterday. It brings up Control
    Panel/Network Connections. The target path is grayed out and
    reads {BA126ADB-2166-11D1-B1D0-0080-5FC1270E}. A search of the
    HD and registry didn't find {BA126ADB-2166-11D1-B1D0-0080-
    5FC1270E}, other than the registry entry that indicated it was
    the subject of a search of the HD.
    I've also looked at where the icon is supposed to be located
    when changing it:%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll, but it
    doesn't appear in the list. I looked at SHELL32.dll with an icon
    viewer program called Icanview. It has icons numbered from 0 to
    237, but images of icons 49,50,51 and 52 are not shown. Maybe
    the tiny icon and the one I'm after is one of those.
    rt
    rt, Aug 20, 2007