short/quick RAID question (replacing a video card and Master/Slave)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Adam Steiner, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Hi,

    Someone brought me a computer with a RAID 0 (striping) configuration, the
    computer is running Win 2K. The video card on the machine appears to be
    shot. It shouldn't cause any problems if I replace the video card, right?
    Windows should just redetect it.

    Second, does it matter if the drives are both hooked up to the same IDE
    channel? If originally Drive 'A' was hooked up to the Primary and 'B' to
    the Secondary and then I switch them, should it matter? Or how about if I
    place them on seperate channels when they were originally on the same
    channel? And by extension to the first one, if they're on one channel and I
    switch the order of the cable (one is connected to the end, one to the
    middle and then they switch) should that matter?

    Lastly, if I plug one of the drives as a slave into my personal machine but
    don't do any writing to the drive, would it ruin the striping?

    Thanks.

    Adam

    Adam Steiner, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Adam Steiner wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Someone brought me a computer with a RAID 0 (striping) configuration, the
    > computer is running Win 2K. The video card on the machine appears to be
    > shot. It shouldn't cause any problems if I replace the video card, right?
    > Windows should just redetect it.
    >
    > Second, does it matter if the drives are both hooked up to the same IDE
    > channel? If originally Drive 'A' was hooked up to the Primary and 'B' to
    > the Secondary and then I switch them, should it matter? Or how about if I
    > place them on seperate channels when they were originally on the same
    > channel? And by extension to the first one, if they're on one channel and I
    > switch the order of the cable (one is connected to the end, one to the
    > middle and then they switch) should that matter?
    >
    > Lastly, if I plug one of the drives as a slave into my personal machine but
    > don't do any writing to the drive, would it ruin the striping?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Adam

    Changing the video card shouldn't matter. As to the other, how's the
    RAID implemented, via hardware or software? If it's via hardware (RAID
    controller) then you definitely shouldn't change the configuration. If
    it's software then I think it should work, but it might decrease
    performance.

    Striping (RAID 0) improves performance by alternating drives. The first
    stripe of data is written to drive A & the next to drive B & so on.
    Logically, this is done regardless of whether the drives are on the same
    channel or not-so it'll work. (I even saw a classroom demo that had it
    working where the stripes were on different partitions of the same
    drive.) The performance benefit comes from parallel physical operations
    however-if the drives are on separate channels then you can physically
    write to both of them at the same time. If they're on the same channel
    then you can't, even if you can logically do so.

    As for your final question, I don't really know-I've never tried it. If
    you *actually* don't do any writing to it then it won't hurt it-but what
    good would it do to plug it in? If you partition it then you write to
    it. If you don't partition it then you probably can't read it-at least
    not without special software. I don't even think you could add it to
    another RAID 0 array without re-partitioning it.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Adam Steiner

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in

    > Lastly, if I plug one of the drives as a slave into my personal
    > machine but don't do any writing to the drive, would it ruin the
    > striping?

    Changing video shouldn't affect anything. If you put just one drive in
    your machine you will find it unusable, as half the information is missing
    and it would not look like a normal drive (ie, would not have appropriate
    logical structures for Windows to use it).

    As for swapping channels, the drives should ideally have been set up on
    different cables. I've only used a RAID0 on one machine with a RAID0,1,
    and 0+1 PCI card and in that case if I switched the drives around or
    jumpered them differently it would tell me the stripe was broken.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 19, 2003