Short question about Firebird and file types...

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Quivis, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone out there in Mozilla land knows where
    Firebird saves info about what it should to do about unknown file
    types? (E.g. "*.xyz")

    The scenario is this: I hastily clicked okay when it suggested I should
    save a file to disk, which in hindsight I really didn't want to do. (I
    forgot to uncheck that little checkmark.)

    So now Firebird by default always try to save this file type to disk.

    I've search the registry, on the HDD and I have yet to find the
    setting. Even groups.google.com came up empty.

    Any suggestions...?

    Oh, and it's on an XP-Pro machine, if it makes a difference.

    TIA.

    Q.

    Quivis, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Quivis wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I was just wondering if anyone out there in Mozilla land knows where
    > Firebird saves info about what it should to do about unknown file
    > types? (E.g. "*.xyz")
    >
    > The scenario is this: I hastily clicked okay when it suggested I should
    > save a file to disk, which in hindsight I really didn't want to do. (I
    > forgot to uncheck that little checkmark.)
    >
    > So now Firebird by default always try to save this file type to disk.
    >
    > I've search the registry, on the HDD and I have yet to find the
    > setting. Even groups.google.com came up empty.
    >
    > Any suggestions...?
    >
    > Oh, and it's on an XP-Pro machine, if it makes a difference.
    >
    > TIA.
    >

    > Q.

    Look in Options>>Downloads

    Highlight the problem file type and click Chane Action.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    In article <bTofb.168389$3o3.12226661@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...

    8>< /snip
    -> Look in Options>>Downloads
    ->
    -> Highlight the problem file type and click Chane Action.

    Thanks for trying, Lee. But in Firebird there is no "Downloads" section
    in the "Options" dialog. There is only:

    General
    Privacy
    Web features
    Themes
    Extensions
    Fonts & Colors
    Connection

    ....to choose from, and neither of them mentions "Downloads." That I can
    detect anyway. I might recently have contracted a severe case of mental
    lock so if you're sure it's there, please be more specific.

    Otherwise, are you sure you aren't confusing Mozilla Firebird (stand
    alone browser) with plain ol' Mozilla (with e-mail/news/etc.)? In
    Mozilla I know there is a setting under Preferences-->Helper
    Applications that could be used to take away problem file types.
    Firebird, however, seems to be saving settings stuff differently.

    I would assume there ought to be some kind of settings file stashed
    away somewhere. It's just that I can't find it.

    Q.

    Quivis, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Quivis wrote:

    > In article <bTofb.168389$3o3.12226661@bgtnsc05-
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...
    >
    > 8>< /snip
    > -> Look in Options>>Downloads
    > ->
    > -> Highlight the problem file type and click Chane Action.
    >
    > Thanks for trying, Lee. But in Firebird there is no "Downloads" section
    > in the "Options" dialog. There is only:
    >
    > General
    > Privacy
    > Web features
    > Themes
    > Extensions
    > Fonts & Colors
    > Connection
    >
    > ...to choose from, and neither of them mentions "Downloads." That I can
    > detect anyway. I might recently have contracted a severe case of mental
    > lock so if you're sure it's there, please be more specific.
    >
    > Otherwise, are you sure you aren't confusing Mozilla Firebird (stand
    > alone browser) with plain ol' Mozilla (with e-mail/news/etc.)? In
    > Mozilla I know there is a setting under Preferences-->Helper
    > Applications that could be used to take away problem file types.
    > Firebird, however, seems to be saving settings stuff differently.
    >
    > I would assume there ought to be some kind of settings file stashed
    > away somewhere. It's just that I can't find it.
    >

    > Q.

    No I know both browsers quite well. In my FB, there is a Downloads
    option between Web Features and Themes as on your list.

    So lets see if we can discover why I have it and you don't. First, what
    version of FB are you running? I'm on 20031003 Firebird/0.7.

    Second, what theme are you using? There was some theme breakage a while
    back that caused problems of options not displaying.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 5, 2003
  5. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    In article <DDXfb.165256$0v4.12483014@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...

    8>< /snip
    -> No I know both browsers quite well. In my FB, there is a Downloads
    -> option between Web Features and Themes as on your list.
    ->
    -> So lets see if we can discover why I have it and you don't. First, what
    -> version of FB are you running? I'm on 20031003 Firebird/0.7.
    ->
    -> Second, what theme are you using? There was some theme breakage a while
    -> back that caused problems of options not displaying.

    The theme named "Mozilla." Haven't changed that since I DL it. Now that
    you mentioned there could be a problem with that gadget, I switched to
    the other one listed, named "Modern." But no change. Still no such
    option...

    <some time passed here>

    Anyway, after some thinking about where they could have hidden the 0.7
    version, I DL a nightly build. And lo and behold, there it was! :)

    That much sought after "Downloads" option is now available. :) One
    thing though: The crazy file type is listed in the new version, even
    though I created a new directory and put the nightly build there. It
    must be in the registry somewhere after all.

    Also, there must be something wrong with your numbers above. I now
    have: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6a)
    Gecko/20031002 Firebird/0.7+

    And you say you have one dated 20031003. How did you find that one?

    Anyway. Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated! :)

    Q.

    Quivis, Oct 5, 2003
  6. Quivis wrote:

    > In article <DDXfb.165256$0v4.12483014@bgtnsc04-
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...
    >
    > 8>< /snip
    > -> No I know both browsers quite well. In my FB, there is a Downloads
    > -> option between Web Features and Themes as on your list.
    > ->
    > -> So lets see if we can discover why I have it and you don't. First, what
    > -> version of FB are you running? I'm on 20031003 Firebird/0.7.
    > ->
    > -> Second, what theme are you using? There was some theme breakage a while
    > -> back that caused problems of options not displaying.
    >
    > The theme named "Mozilla." Haven't changed that since I DL it. Now that
    > you mentioned there could be a problem with that gadget, I switched to
    > the other one listed, named "Modern." But no change. Still no such
    > option...
    >
    > <some time passed here>
    >
    > Anyway, after some thinking about where they could have hidden the 0.7
    > version, I DL a nightly build. And lo and behold, there it was! :)
    >
    > That much sought after "Downloads" option is now available. :) One
    > thing though: The crazy file type is listed in the new version, even
    > though I created a new directory and put the nightly build there. It
    > must be in the registry somewhere after all.
    >
    > Also, there must be something wrong with your numbers above. I now
    > have: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6a)
    > Gecko/20031002 Firebird/0.7+
    >
    > And you say you have one dated 20031003. How did you find that one?
    >
    > Anyway. Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated! :)
    >

    > Q.

    The information is in your profile, which is kept separate from your
    program files. This is how you can safely delete the mozillafirebird
    folder before unzipping a new build, without losing your prfile information.

    What OS are you using?

    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/2003-10-03-11-0.7/

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 5, 2003
  7. Quivis

    :: brian :: Guest

    Quivis wrote:

    > In article <DDXfb.165256$0v4.12483014@bgtnsc04-
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...
    >
    > 8>< /snip
    > -> No I know both browsers quite well. In my FB, there is a Downloads
    > -> option between Web Features and Themes as on your list.
    > ->
    > -> So lets see if we can discover why I have it and you don't. First, what
    > -> version of FB are you running? I'm on 20031003 Firebird/0.7.
    > ->
    > -> Second, what theme are you using? There was some theme breakage a while
    > -> back that caused problems of options not displaying.
    >
    > The theme named "Mozilla." Haven't changed that since I DL it. Now that
    > you mentioned there could be a problem with that gadget, I switched to
    > the other one listed, named "Modern." But no change. Still no such
    > option...
    >
    > <some time passed here>
    >
    > Anyway, after some thinking about where they could have hidden the 0.7
    > version, I DL a nightly build. And lo and behold, there it was! :)
    >
    > That much sought after "Downloads" option is now available. :) One
    > thing though: The crazy file type is listed in the new version, even
    > though I created a new directory and put the nightly build there. It
    > must be in the registry somewhere after all.
    >
    > Also, there must be something wrong with your numbers above. I now
    > have: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6a)
    > Gecko/20031002 Firebird/0.7+
    >
    > And you say you have one dated 20031003. How did you find that one?
    >
    > Anyway. Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated! :)
    >

    > Q.

    Do you remember what version you had before? I'm still using
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030817
    Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1+ on this computer, and the option is there.

    I guess it really doesn't matter... as it is working for you now :)

    --
    Brian

    :: brian ::, Oct 6, 2003
  8. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    In article <EEZfb.165424$0v4.12494912@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...

    -> The information is in your profile, which is kept separate from your
    -> program files. This is how you can safely delete the mozillafirebird
    -> folder before unzipping a new build, without losing your prfile information.

    Of course! I should have thought of that. Oh, well...I guess I need
    some time off the net... ;-)

    -> What OS are you using?

    XP-Pro.

    -> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/2003-10-03-11-0.7/

    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. :)

    Q.

    Quivis, Oct 6, 2003
  9. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    In article <bxcgb.56695$a16.15367@lakeread01>, :: brian :: <user@
    127.0.0.1> says...

    -> Do you remember what version you had before? I'm still using
    -> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030817
    -> Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1+ on this computer, and the option is there.

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030728
    Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1

    -> I guess it really doesn't matter... as it is working for you now :)

    Technically it doesn't, but still...now you know. :)

    Q.

    Quivis, Oct 6, 2003