    Photos: http://www.survivalbill.com/photosa.htm
    Chatroom: http://www.survivalbill.com/chatroom.htm
    Emergency Alert System: http://www.survival.com/alarm/on.htm

    Survival Bill, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Survival Bill

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:55:37 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Survival Bill"
    <> wrote:

    >hello I like many have a new digital camera but I am lucky to get 30 shots
    >before the batteries are toast I am using new high quality 4 - AA alkaline
    >batteries.
    >
    >is this typical of cheep digitals or is it the norm for most of them..

    Normal for all of them, especially when using LCDs and continuous
    autofocus. The solution is to use high capacity rechargable nicle metal
    hydride (NiMh) batteries. A decent place to go for batts and smart chargers
    such as the MAHA is http://www.thomas-distributing.com
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Survival Bill

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Survival Bill" <> writes:
    > hello I like many have a new digital camera but I am lucky to get 30 shots
    > before the batteries are toast I am using new high quality 4 - AA alkaline
    > batteries.

    The problem is alkaline batteries don't work well in digital cameras.
    They're intended for use at lower current drain. Get some rechargeable
    NiMH batteries. They wlil work a lot better. www.nimhbattery.com is a
    good supplier.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Survival Bill

    Mark M Guest

    "Survival Bill" <> wrote in message

    > hello I like many have a new digital camera but I am lucky to get 30 shots
    > before the batteries are toast I am using new high quality 4 - AA alkaline
    > batteries.
    >
    > is this typical of cheep digitals or is it the norm for most of them..
    >
    > I am happy enough with the shots it takes and the 30 second .avi it takes
    >
    > not happy with low light or backlight shots
    >
    > its all full auto so cant play with it to take better shots oh well...
    >
    > its a mustek mdc 3000 3.1 mega pixel

    Alkaline batteries are the worst possible choice.
    While most of us have childhood memories of re-chargeable batteries falling
    woefully behind alkalines, for high-draw electronics (like digital cameras
    and flash units), NiMh batteries blow them away. You will find that NiMh
    batteries not only ready your flash (for example) more times, but ALSO more
    quickly than new alkalines. I've done simple experiments with new Duracells
    and fully charged alkalines, and was amazed to see the speed with which the
    NiMh unit fired off shots. Try it. You won't be disappointed.

    Mark M, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Survival Bill

    Bobs Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:55:37 GMT, "Survival Bill" <>
    wrote:

    >hello I like many have a new digital camera but I am lucky to get 30 shots
    >before the batteries are toast I am using new high quality 4 - AA alkaline
    >batteries.
    >
    >is this typical of cheep digitals or is it the norm for most of them..
    >
    >I am happy enough with the shots it takes and the 30 second .avi it takes
    >
    >not happy with low light or backlight shots
    >
    >its all full auto so cant play with it to take better shots oh well...
    >
    >its a mustek mdc 3000 3.1 mega pixel

    This question has been answered at least 100 times in the past few
    months, why not do a Google search next time?

    Alkaline batteries give poor service in digital cameras and other
    powered devices that require high pulse currents in operation. These
    high currents cause large amounts of power to be wasted, dissipated by
    the alkaline's relatively high series internal resistance. Both NiCAD
    and NiMH batteries have very low cell impedance, thus can deliver
    power efficiently to low-impedance loads, such as those presented by
    most digicams and electronic flash units.

    Bobs, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Survival Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Survival Bill wrote:

    > hello I like many have a new digital camera but I am lucky to get 30 shots
    > before the batteries are toast I am using new high quality 4 - AA alkaline
    > batteries.
    >
    > is this typical of cheep digitals or is it the norm for most of them..
    >
    > I am happy enough with the shots it takes and the 30 second .avi it takes
    >
    > not happy with low light or backlight shots
    >
    > its all full auto so cant play with it to take better shots oh well...
    >
    > its a mustek mdc 3000 3.1 mega pixel
    > --
    > _____________________________________
    >
    > Survival Bill Outdoor Retreat
    > Website: http://www.survivalbill.com
    > Message Forum: http://www.survivalbill.com/phpBB2/index.php
    > Photos: http://www.survivalbill.com/photosa.htm
    > Chatroom: http://www.survivalbill.com/chatroom.htm
    > Emergency Alert System: http://www.survival.com/alarm/on.htm

    Sigh.
    WHEN will people learn that alkaline batteries are NOT suitable for
    digital camera use, and WHEN will some manufactureres STOP putting them
    in the box?
    Buy NIMH rechargeables, and a good smart charger. They will last MUCH
    longer per charge, and can recharged for years.

    I also suspect you might have done a bit more research before buying a
    camera...
    In any case, with NIMH rechargeables, you will enjoy what you have a lot
    more, and may find it takes better pictures as well.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Survival Bill

    EarGuy Guest

    I echo everyone else's advice about lakaline batteries. But I will add that
    if you turn your screen off and use the optical viewfinder, you'll get more
    life out of each set of batteries.

    Bueno suerte

    Dave
    earguy

    EarGuy, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Survival Bill

    Jim Guest

    Amen, I can't imagine how much money I would have spent so far without
    rechargeables and a good charger.

    Also, buy spares. One of the best parts of a digital camera is being able
    to take tons of shots without spending money on bad ones. But it takes
    several sets of batteries and plenty of memory cards. If your serious you
    will SAVE hundreds of dollars in film, developing, and overpriced alkaline
    batteries.

    Jim, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Survival Bill

    Mark M Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Survival Bill wrote:
    >
    > > hello I like many have a new digital camera but I am lucky to get 30

    shots
    > > before the batteries are toast I am using new high quality 4 - AA

    alkaline
    > > batteries.
    > >
    > > is this typical of cheep digitals or is it the norm for most of them..
    > >
    > > I am happy enough with the shots it takes and the 30 second .avi it

    takes

    > > not happy with low light or backlight shots
    > >
    > > its all full auto so cant play with it to take better shots oh well...
    > >
    > > its a mustek mdc 3000 3.1 mega pixel
    > > --
    > > _____________________________________
    > >
    > > Survival Bill Outdoor Retreat
    > > Website: http://www.survivalbill.com
    > > Message Forum: http://www.survivalbill.com/phpBB2/index.php
    > > Photos: http://www.survivalbill.com/photosa.htm
    > > Chatroom: http://www.survivalbill.com/chatroom.htm
    > > Emergency Alert System: http://www.survival.com/alarm/on.htm
    > >

    > Sigh.
    > WHEN will people learn that alkaline batteries are NOT suitable for
    > digital camera use

    The answer is... When manufacturers quit including them with
    cameras...which falsely promotes them.

    Mark M, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Survival Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark M wrote:

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Survival Bill wrote:
    >>

    >>>hello I like many have a new digital camera but I am lucky to get 30

    > shots
    >
    >>>before the batteries are toast I am using new high quality 4 - AA

    > alkaline
    >
    >>>batteries.
    >>>
    >>>is this typical of cheep digitals or is it the norm for most of them..
    >>>
    >>>I am happy enough with the shots it takes and the 30 second .avi it

    > takes
    >
    >>>not happy with low light or backlight shots
    >>>
    >>>its all full auto so cant play with it to take better shots oh well...
    >>>
    >>>its a mustek mdc 3000 3.1 mega pixel
    >>>--
    >>>_____________________________________
    >>>
    >>>Survival Bill Outdoor Retreat
    >>>Website: http://www.survivalbill.com
    >>>Message Forum: http://www.survivalbill.com/phpBB2/index.php
    >>>Photos: http://www.survivalbill.com/photosa.htm
    >>>Chatroom: http://www.survivalbill.com/chatroom.htm
    >>>Emergency Alert System: http://www.survival.com/alarm/on.htm
    >>>

    >>Sigh.
    >> WHEN will people learn that alkaline batteries are NOT suitable for
    >>digital camera use

    > The answer is... When manufacturers quit including them with
    > cameras...which falsely promotes them.

    Frankly, If I bought a digital camera and found alkalines in the box, I
    would return the camera. That kind of outrageous cheapness on the part
    of a manufacturer would really make me angry.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 7, 2004
  11. Survival Bill

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "EarGuy" <> wrote:

    >I echo everyone else's advice about lakaline batteries. But I will add that
    >if you turn your screen off and use the optical viewfinder, you'll get more
    >life out of each set of batteries.

    But that's the whole point of the digicam, using the LCD to frame the
    shot and check the white balance.

    You can't turn off the LCD. What you can do is use it only when ready
    to shoot - minimize its use. And get 2000-2200 NiMH batteries.

    You can get 'em at Walmart or Fry's, and Walmart will have a portable
    car-lighter fast charger hanging right nearby.

    Mark Johnson, Jan 7, 2004
  12. Survival Bill

    Mark Johnson Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > WHEN will people learn that alkaline batteries are NOT suitable for
    >digital camera use

    But that's the whole point, vs proprietary lithium. The alkalines DO
    WORK! But they only work for a short time, in an emergency. I had just
    such at a tourist spot, a few months ago. There was a convenience shop
    about a quarter mile away. I jogged up there for some alkalines, and I
    was ready to go.

    Mark Johnson, Jan 7, 2004
  13. Survival Bill

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Mark Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > "EarGuy" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I echo everyone else's advice about lakaline batteries. But I will add

    that
    > >if you turn your screen off and use the optical viewfinder, you'll get

    more
    > >life out of each set of batteries.

    > But that's the whole point of the digicam, using the LCD to frame the
    > shot and check the white balance.

    You don't need an LCD to frame the shot.

    Use the viewfinder like photographers have been doing for decades!

    And doesn't your camera have AWB?

    > You can't turn off the LCD.

    The LCD doesn't come on on my Oly D-560 till I turn it on.

    I thought that was a major benefit when I was looking for a carry-around
    digital camera.

    > What you can do is use it only when ready
    > to shoot - minimize its use. And get 2000-2200 NiMH batteries.
    >
    > You can get 'em at Walmart or Fry's, and Walmart will have a portable
    > car-lighter fast charger hanging right nearby.

    NiMH bats are a must.

    Have fun, Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan, Jan 7, 2004
  14. Ron Hunter wrote:

    > WHEN will people learn that alkaline batteries are NOT suitable for
    > digital camera use, and WHEN will some manufactureres STOP putting
    > them in the box?

    Well, you sort of answered your own question. Christmas morning. New
    camera under the tree.
    Never had a digital camera before. Manufacturer put four of their
    favorite brand of AA in the box,
    rather than add say $30 (CAD) to the price and include a charger and
    battery set (and rather than
    have the customer need to wait half a day to take their first shots).
    Batteries go in. Manual, which
    fully describes the alternatives and gives advice, is put aside, if not
    lost in the discard of packing
    material. Half a day of joy. Batteries die.

    > Buy NIMH rechargeables, and a good smart charger. They will last MUCH
    > longer per charge, and can recharged for years.

    I _did_ RTFM, but still blew a couple of sets of alkalines before the
    next opportunity to get to the
    stores. Wanted to test-drive before buying my accessories. So you see,
    even people who know
    what they're doing may go along with the manufacturer's policy.

    > I also suspect you might have done a bit more research before buying a
    > camera...

    Ah, but consider the date. Was it a giver or a givee who did the research?

    Anthony Buckland, Jan 7, 2004
  15. Survival Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Anthony Buckland wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:

    >> WHEN will people learn that alkaline batteries are NOT suitable for
    >> digital camera use, and WHEN will some manufactureres STOP putting
    >> them in the box?

    > Well, you sort of answered your own question. Christmas morning. New
    > camera under the tree.
    > Never had a digital camera before. Manufacturer put four of their
    > favorite brand of AA in the box,
    > rather than add say $30 (CAD) to the price and include a charger and
    > battery set (and rather than
    > have the customer need to wait half a day to take their first shots).
    > Batteries go in. Manual, which
    > fully describes the alternatives and gives advice, is put aside, if not
    > lost in the discard of packing
    > material. Half a day of joy. Batteries die.
    >

    >> Buy NIMH rechargeables, and a good smart charger. They will last MUCH
    >> longer per charge, and can recharged for years.

    > I _did_ RTFM, but still blew a couple of sets of alkalines before the
    > next opportunity to get to the
    > stores. Wanted to test-drive before buying my accessories. So you see,
    > even people who know
    > what they're doing may go along with the manufacturer's policy.
    >

    >> I also suspect you might have done a bit more research before buying a
    >> camera...

    > Ah, but consider the date. Was it a giver or a givee who did the research?
    >

    >> In any case, with NIMH rechargeables, you will enjoy what you have a
    >> lot more, and may find it takes better pictures as well.

    Kodak put a CRV3 Lithium battery (cost is about $10 retail) in my DX3600
    box. The manual (yes, I READ it) mentioned not less than 4 times that
    alkalines aren't suitable. Now if you stick around here a while you
    will read that Kodak isn't a class act, and that they don't much about
    anything. ON the other hand, they DO have sense enough to spend some
    bucks to assure that a customer has a happy first impression. Tends to
    mitigate against the put-downs about Kodak one reads here, doesn't it?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 7, 2004
  16. Survival Bill

    Mark M Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    >ON the other hand, they DO have sense enough to spend some
    > bucks to assure that a customer has a happy first impression. Tends to
    > mitigate against the put-downs about Kodak one reads here, doesn't it?

    Ah, yes...but the guy who convinced them to put the lithiums in was likely
    fired in the last big money-saving pink-slip party at Kodak.
    :)
    Or is that...
    :(

    Mark M, Jan 8, 2004
  17. Survival Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark M wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>ON the other hand, they DO have sense enough to spend some
    >>bucks to assure that a customer has a happy first impression. Tends to
    >>mitigate against the put-downs about Kodak one reads here, doesn't it?

    > Ah, yes...but the guy who convinced them to put the lithiums in was likely
    > fired in the last big money-saving pink-slip party at Kodak.
    > :)
    > Or is that...
    > :(

    FRom what I read, they are still packing CRV3 batteries with their AA
    battery cameras.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 8, 2004
  18. Survival Bill

    Stan Guest

    Alkalines can only deliver the current when they are near new. After
    the 30 shots, the batteries work fine in radios, toys, .....
    You want NiMh batteries, and you also want a charger designed to
    charge them. Older chargers designed for NiCd batteries will take
    maybe 48 hours to charge up the new batteries.

    There are also AA Lithium nonrechargable batteries. If you only use
    your camera a few times a year, you can usually take a few hundred
    pictures before getting new batteries. NiMh batteries lose about 20%
    of their charge a month.

    Stan, Jan 24, 2004