    Probably one for the resident genius (go on Gordon!)

    --
    Marketing - the posh way to say 'spammer'
    Timothy Teapot, Dec 26, 2008

  2. In article <4954c39d$0$10551$>,
    Timothy Teapot <> wrote:
    >A quick stab in the dark here. Putting the silly licence to one side, it
    >is possible to have a remote home worker with a vanilla IP phone or ATA
    >(who is on a static IP address with their ISP) be put as part of a pickup
    >group on a shoretel system?
    >
    >Idea is this; it's Christmas, the support guys are at home. They have
    >Linksys IP phones or ATA's and static IP's. Rather than drag them into
    >the office, is it easy to add an external IP phone to the support group?
    >
    >Probably one for the resident genius (go on Gordon!)

    Er me?

    I think Shoretel is a proprietary system, although it uses SIP, it's
    not based on the asterisk that I know and love...

    A SIP based system should be fully capable of doing what you're after
    though - I know it does work with my asterisk based systems. There are
    NAT/firewall isses to overcome, but they're fairly well documented -
    and you don't even need a static IP address for the phones, if they
    have the facilities to let them know their external IP address (either
    by telling them, or using STUN, or an external SIP proxy)

    This, I have to say, is one of the major selling points I push to some
    of my clients - the whole "take your phone anywhere" point of VoIP. I'd
    be very surprised if Shoretel doesn't have the capacity to do this on
    their systems though, but I've really know idea how to they work, so I'd
    have to say that in principle, yes, you can take a SIP phone home, but how
    that works in practice with a Shoretel system is something I can't tell..

    Good luck, and festive greetings to all!

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Dec 26, 2008

  3. Timothy Teapot

    Stephen Ward Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:24:54 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > In article <4954c39d$0$10551$>, Timothy Teapot
    > <> wrote:
    >>A quick stab in the dark here. Putting the silly licence to one side, it
    >>is possible to have a remote home worker with a vanilla IP phone or ATA
    >>(who is on a static IP address with their ISP) be put as part of a
    >>pickup group on a shoretel system?
    >>
    >>Idea is this; it's Christmas, the support guys are at home. They have
    >>Linksys IP phones or ATA's and static IP's. Rather than drag them into
    >>the office, is it easy to add an external IP phone to the support group?
    >>
    >>Probably one for the resident genius (go on Gordon!)

    > Er me?
    >
    > I think Shoretel is a proprietary system, although it uses SIP, it's not
    > based on the asterisk that I know and love...
    >
    > A SIP based system should be fully capable of doing what you're after
    > though - I know it does work with my asterisk based systems. There are
    > NAT/firewall isses to overcome, but they're fairly well documented - and
    > you don't even need a static IP address for the phones, if they have the
    > facilities to let them know their external IP address (either by telling
    > them, or using STUN, or an external SIP proxy)
    >
    > This, I have to say, is one of the major selling points I push to some
    > of my clients - the whole "take your phone anywhere" point of VoIP. I'd
    > be very surprised if Shoretel doesn't have the capacity to do this on
    > their systems though, but I've really know idea how to they work, so I'd
    > have to say that in principle, yes, you can take a SIP phone home, but
    > how that works in practice with a Shoretel system is something I can't
    > tell..
    >
    > Good luck, and festive greetings to all!
    >
    > Gordon

    That's why *you* are the genius ;-)

    --
    .. . .