    if anyone has any recent experience with shopping for cameras and accessories in those locations?

    If the savings aren't that substantial, I spend my dollars at home.
    , Dec 10, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I will be visiting both Singapore and Hong Kong (and maybe Japan) early next year and I'm wondering
    > if anyone has any recent experience with shopping for cameras and accessories in those locations?
    >
    > If the savings aren't that substantial, I spend my dollars at home.

    There was a guy who got concerned with the same question. He lived in
    Singapore, and was going to visit HK. After the trip, he gave his
    recollections. He said that the stuff in HK was 10-15% cheaper than in
    Singapore,

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_frm/thread/7f7223d97ba6f712/bb371b630b1a70c9

    To get a feel for HK prices, you can visit an online camera shop in HK,
    e.g. http://www.digitalrev.com/en/index.php .
    =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=, Dec 10, 2006

  3. Toby Guest

    "minnes√łtti" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> I will be visiting both Singapore and Hong Kong (and maybe Japan) early
    >> next year and I'm wondering
    >> if anyone has any recent experience with shopping for cameras and
    >> accessories in those locations?
    >>
    >> If the savings aren't that substantial, I spend my dollars at home.

    > There was a guy who got concerned with the same question. He lived in
    > Singapore, and was going to visit HK. After the trip, he gave his
    > recollections. He said that the stuff in HK was 10-15% cheaper than in
    > Singapore,
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_frm/thread/7f7223d97ba6f712/bb371b630b1a70c9
    >
    > To get a feel for HK prices, you can visit an online camera shop in HK,
    > e.g. http://www.digitalrev.com/en/index.php .

    Singapore is not cheap by any means. Hong Kong may be marginally cheaper
    than the US, but you have to watch out there, as not all merchants are 100%
    honest. I live in Japan and have found that prices on most stuff are
    comparable to prices in major US cities--sometimes a bit cheaper, sometimes
    a bit more expensive. In all these places you have to be careful, as the
    warranties are usually not worldwide.

    Toby
    Toby, Dec 10, 2006
  4. <> wrote in message

    >I will be visiting both Singapore and Hong Kong (and maybe Japan) early
    >next year and I'm wondering
    > if anyone has any recent experience with shopping for cameras and
    > accessories in those locations?
    >
    > If the savings aren't that substantial, I spend my dollars at home.

    You are probably better off buying direct from HK via mail order. If you
    shop in person there is a risk you could be forced to pay tax if your
    luggage gets checked and it looks like new equipment.
    Adrian Boliston, Dec 11, 2006
  5. On 10 Dec 2006 07:29:02 -0600, "Toby" <> wrote:

    >Singapore is not cheap by any means. Hong Kong may be marginally cheaper
    >than the US, but you have to watch out there, as not all merchants are 100%
    >honest. I live in Japan and have found that prices on most stuff are
    >comparable to prices in major US cities--sometimes a bit cheaper, sometimes
    >a bit more expensive. In all these places you have to be careful, as the
    >warranties are usually not worldwide.

    I was in HK in September and found nothing really special price wise
    on cameras. If anything _higher_ than in Canada.

    Where HK >DID< shine was on NiMH batteries and on memory chips. Check
    out the Computer Centre in Mong Kok for some interesting buys. I got a
    100x 1gig CompactFlash chip fairly cheap just in time to toast my old
    camera in November. (Its replacement uses SD which was also cheaper in
    HK)
    The Horny Goat, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Miles Guest

    wrote:
    > I will be visiting both Singapore and Hong Kong (and maybe Japan) early next year and I'm wondering
    > if anyone has any recent experience with shopping for cameras and accessories in those locations?
    >
    > If the savings aren't that substantial, I spend my dollars at home.

    A year ago I purchased a Canon S70 from Beach Camera on the internet and
    paid for next day delivery. A week later it still wasn't received and
    I was leaving on vacation to Asia.

    In HKG wasted the better part of a day visiting various bait & switch
    shops on Nathan Rd and finally took the advice from an old friend who
    said buy at Fortress. Even on sale (due to the new S80 which is JPG
    only), the price was higher than Beach, and the service was excellent.
    The warranty is HKG only for 1 yr plus a special of an additional 6
    months. I believe this was as opposed to a 6-month international
    warrantee, and since I would be visiting HKG or could send it to my
    friend for repairs; haven't had a problem, except for the learning curve!

    Fortress which has several shops on both the island and Tsim Tsa Tsui
    was slightly lower cost than Broadway Electronics. And I found a fully
    stocked small shop for accessories close to the Star Ferry terminal in
    Tsim Tsa Tsui, A&B Photo. They had what was needed such as larger CF
    card, battery, different batt charger, carrying case, etc. Not certain
    as to how their prices compared with the States, internet, or elsewhere,
    but they had what was needed.

    Having lived in HKG for 7 years in the '70's I learned that it was
    always best to pay 10% more at a reputable store. Lately I have been
    told that the locals buy up north at a lower price, not in HKG.
    Miles
    Miles, Dec 19, 2006
  7. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    The Horny Goat <> wrote:

    > On 10 Dec 2006 07:29:02 -0600, "Toby" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Singapore is not cheap by any means. Hong Kong may be marginally cheaper
    > >than the US, but you have to watch out there, as not all merchants are 100%
    > >honest. I live in Japan and have found that prices on most stuff are
    > >comparable to prices in major US cities--sometimes a bit cheaper, sometimes
    > >a bit more expensive. In all these places you have to be careful, as the
    > >warranties are usually not worldwide.

    > I was in HK in September and found nothing really special price wise
    > on cameras. If anything _higher_ than in Canada.
    >
    > Where HK >DID< shine was on NiMH batteries and on memory chips. Check
    > out the Computer Centre in Mong Kok for some interesting buys. I got a
    > 100x 1gig CompactFlash chip fairly cheap just in time to toast my old
    > camera in November. (Its replacement uses SD which was also cheaper in
    > HK)

    The only problem buying in Japan is you really should go there to get
    the camera. Most retailers don't really want the language problems
    interfering with their walk-in trade. And most major retailers are all
    in Japanese. http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/index/index.html
    No problem if you're on a Mac but many Windoze machines won't work.
    Stewy, Dec 21, 2006
  8. Father Kodak Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:40:50 +0900, Stewy <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > The Horny Goat <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 10 Dec 2006 07:29:02 -0600, "Toby" <> wrote:
    >>

    >The only problem buying in Japan is you really should go there to get
    >the camera. Most retailers don't really want the language problems
    >interfering with their walk-in trade. And most major retailers are all
    >in Japanese. http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/index/index.html
    >No problem if you're on a Mac but many Windoze machines won't work.

    I had no problem getting to the Yodobashi site, but it's about 99%
    Japanese, which I actually don't read, not even Katakana.

    So first a comment, then a question.

    Comment: Time was, that you could save over 50% of the US list price
    on Nikon by getting your gear from Japan or Hong Kong. At that time,
    I did a lot of "direct import" of Nikon equipment from a friendly
    store in HK. That was way back then.

    Now, for a US resident, at least, it seems that B&H Photo has as good
    if not better prices. And of course, you can get a US warranty. That
    was the comment.

    Now the question: If this site is intended for the domestic market,
    why is any of it in English? I've wondered about that each time I have
    been to Japan. You see all kinds of signs in English, even on the
    sides of trucks hauling industrial goods.

    So, in advance, domo arrigato gozai mas'.

    Father Kodak
    Father Kodak, Dec 21, 2006
  9. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Father Kodak <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:40:50 +0900, Stewy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > The Horny Goat <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On 10 Dec 2006 07:29:02 -0600, "Toby" <> wrote:
    > >>

    > >The only problem buying in Japan is you really should go there to get
    > >the camera. Most retailers don't really want the language problems
    > >interfering with their walk-in trade. And most major retailers are all
    > >in Japanese. http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/index/index.html
    > >No problem if you're on a Mac but many Windoze machines won't work.

    > I had no problem getting to the Yodobashi site, but it's about 99%
    > Japanese, which I actually don't read, not even Katakana.
    >
    > So first a comment, then a question.
    >
    > Comment: Time was, that you could save over 50% of the US list price
    > on Nikon by getting your gear from Japan or Hong Kong. At that time,
    > I did a lot of "direct import" of Nikon equipment from a friendly
    > store in HK. That was way back then.
    >
    > Now, for a US resident, at least, it seems that B&H Photo has as good
    > if not better prices. And of course, you can get a US warranty. That
    > was the comment.
    >
    > Now the question: If this site is intended for the domestic market,
    > why is any of it in English? I've wondered about that each time I have
    > been to Japan. You see all kinds of signs in English, even on the
    > sides of trucks hauling industrial goods.
    >
    > So, in advance, domo arrigato gozai mas'.

    In a word - impact!

    English, as katakana was years ago, creates an impact and attracts the
    eye. Have you noticed how t-shirts with kanji seem more appealing than
    t-shirts with english?

    Most Japanese ignore this english after the initial 'shock' and many are
    unaware of the plethora of english around them, from street signs to
    railway platforms and company nameplates.

    I think the increase in prices in japan has to do with the reduction in
    taxation! Previously electronic goods were taxed at around 15-20% here
    so the makers had to cut costs to encourage sales. Nowadays there is a
    flat-rate 5% consumption tax so prices have actually risen even though
    most manufacturing is done in China, Malaysia or the Philippines. When
    the domestic economy went into tailspin following the bursting of the
    asset bubble in 1989 manufacturers have tried to maximise profits.

    One thing that is still at bargain-basement prices is used equipment.
    Shops here may only guarantee used stuff for a month or so but almost
    all shops have a reputation to consider and do carefully check over (and
    often refurbish) used equipment. Japanese are consumate shoppers and
    will buy new products even though last year's product is still OK. If
    you know what you want - difficult sometimes as the names are changed -
    the Canon Rebel is the Canon Kiss here, for example. Epson puts a stop
    to this grey importing by chipping carts so American or European carts
    won't work in Japanese printers and vice-versa. Canon carts will (as far
    as I know) and these are also very cheap here compared to the UK.

    Yodobashi do offer around 10% in 'points' off your next purchase so the
    prices advertised are not the lowest. If you can navigate round
    http://coneco.aol.co.jp/pricelist.asp? you can check the best deals in
    Japan.
    Stewy, Dec 21, 2006