Shopping for small business VoIP == flea market?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a phone-based business idea I've been trying to implement in
    the United States revolving around domestic calls.

    I'd like to buy a number of 8xx DIDs and buy minutes in a pay-as-you-go
    arrangement. I'd start with a dozen numbers, doing a few thousand
    minutes a month, and hope to grow to hundreds of DIDs and bill
    250k-750k minutes a month.

    I'm definitely going to use Asterisk for the PBX side of things. Clunky
    and confusing as it can be, Asterisk is worth the pain and can probably
    do anything, even if I have to write the code myself. I feel secure in
    my answer there.

    But I'm getting increasingly discouraged while trying to set up and use
    small-fry business-focused VoIP services. The prices are often great,
    but voice quality and consistency are often erratic, customer service
    overwhelmed, confused, or simply not available. I get the sense that
    everyone is oversold and understaffed.

    (I can name names if it is required, but really I don't want to
    badmouth any of the five providers I've tried. I have yet to spend real
    money with these guys or do much more than experiment. I'm frankly
    astonished that these guys can make money at all. But I do feel
    confident that my experiences are typical, even maybe leaning toward
    the "good" side of the typical experience. It just isn't adequate.)

    I'm willing to spent more than $0.02/minute for US domestic calls. I'm
    willing to spend more than $5/month for an 800 DID. I'd happily double
    all those figures if it meant I could actually get good quality
    service. I might well go higher, although at some point the original
    model breaks down and my idea is no longer profitable.

    I do realize going with VoIP does mean reduced quality somewhere. Lag,
    compression, etc. I would happily accept less than perfect voice
    quality if I could count on that service being reliable (at that
    degraded-but-consistent quality level) and available, and with support.

    Who are the larger providers all the small-fry are reselling? Would any
    be willing to deal with me while I'm small, charging accordingly, with
    price breaks as my volume grew? Who should I be talking to, if anyone?

    At what point should I stop looking at VoIP and start looking at TDM?
    How much is TDM likely to cost me for the figures I quote above?

    I do want to do all my own PBX work, by the way -- the business depends
    on this fine-grained control. The managed VoIP/PBX systems are not for

    Thanks for any help.

    , Aug 15, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    > I have a phone-based business idea I've been trying to implement in
    > the United States revolving around domestic calls.

    You might look into and
    Jonathan Roberts, Aug 17, 2006

  3. petebed

    Sep 18, 2009
    small business voip

    If you are looking for a small business voip provider I would suggest look at Easy Office Phone ( as they provide hosted pbx solutions and sip trunking services for trixbox/asterisk etc. I have not used them for very long (only a couple weeks) but I think they are good.
    petebed, Sep 18, 2009
  4. vvvvvoip

    Jan 21, 2010
    voip providers

    There are several advantages using VoIP including the availability of advanced features that standard telephone systems are not capable of and the ability to have a phone number usually associated with a particular local area anywhere in the world.
    voip providers
    vvvvvoip, Jan 21, 2010