Shopping for color inkjet: HP 6578 cartridge?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Graham, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Mike Graham

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > My HP 1220c went belly-up and now I have three of those pricy c6578a cartridges
    > sitting on the shelf.
    >
    > I *could* get another 1220c - but I don't need tabloid and the size was a
    > hassle.
    >
    > Am I being penny-wise and pound-foolish trying to find a compatible printer to
    > replace the 1220c?
    >
    > I want to avoid getting one of those printers that's cheap up front but whose
    > per page cost is high due to high-cost-short-life cartridges.

    I've got an HP PSC-750, and it uses c6578*d* cartridges. They *might* be
    interchangeable (just a different amount of ink or something). Maybe you
    could find one cheap.

    mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 13, 2003

  2. My HP 1220c went belly-up and now I have three of those pricy c6578a cartridges
    sitting on the shelf.

    I *could* get another 1220c - but I don't need tabloid and the size was a
    hassle.

    Am I being penny-wise and pound-foolish trying to find a compatible printer to
    replace the 1220c?

    I want to avoid getting one of those printers that's cheap up front but whose
    per page cost is high due to high-cost-short-life cartridges.

    Role paper appeals to me - but it's not a religious issue...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Sep 13, 2003

  3. Mike Graham

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > My HP 1220c went belly-up and now I have three of those pricy c6578a

    cartridges
    > sitting on the shelf.
    >
    > I *could* get another 1220c - but I don't need tabloid and the size was a
    > hassle.

    The following HP printers are current ore recently discontinued (and may still
    be available) and will accept the 78A cartridges: DeskJet 6122, 6127, 3820,
    PSC 950 or PSC 750. Of these my favorite is the PSC 950, which is a scanner,
    copier, printer and fax with camera cards for direct printing.

    Regards,

    Bob Headrick, Sep 14, 2003
  4. RE/
    > PSC 950,

    Given that the primary use would be for printing color photos (I've got a LJ
    5000 for text), do you see any negative tradeoffs in the PSC 950 vs the
    dedicated printers like the ones you mentioned or the 1215?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Sep 15, 2003
  5. Mike Graham

    > RE/
    > > PSC 950,

    > Given that the primary use would be for printing color photos (I've got a LJ
    > 5000 for text), do you see any negative tradeoffs in the PSC 950 vs the
    > dedicated printers like the ones you mentioned or the 1215?

    The main advantage of the Photosmart 1215 would be its ability to print on both
    sides of plain paper with the (optional) two-sided duplexer. Otherwise the
    print quality will be very similar, and both have card slots for direct
    printing from a camera. The Photosmart 1215 may have USB as well as parallel
    (I do not recall), the PSC 950 has USB only. The PSC 950 uses the lower filled
    25mL #15 black cartridge, compared to the 42mL in the #45 cartridge that the
    Photosmart 1215 uses, but if you do not print much black in the inkjet this
    will not matter.

    The DeskJet 6127 has networking built in and also has provision for a larger
    paper tray, but these features may not matter for your application. The 6122
    has both parallel and USB. Both the Photosmarts and the PSC 950 have a
    separate paper tray for printing on 4x6 media which can be handy for choosing
    between 8.5x11 media and 4x6 media.

    Regards,

    Bob Headrick, Sep 15, 2003