    printing? With Jpeg, I just take the photos and then print.

    Thanks
    John M
    John Mather, Aug 8, 2006

  2. "John Mather" <> wrote in message
    news:yK6Cg.37587$...

    > Being just new to digital photography, I have a question regarding "Raw"
    > format. When shooting in this format, is there anything I must do before
    > printing? With Jpeg, I just take the photos and then print.

    I use Nikon Capture as my raw converter and it will alow me to print
    directly from RAW, without conversion to tiff or jpeg.
    Adrian Boliston, Aug 8, 2006

  3. John  Mather

    Guest

    You'll need a Raw Editor to convert the image into something viewable.
    Try s7raw - it's freeware and converts images to 16-bit TIFFs, with
    editing facilities.
    , Aug 8, 2006
  4. John  Mather

    tomm42 Guest

    John Mather wrote:
    > Being just new to digital photography, I have a question regarding "Raw"
    > format. When shooting in this format, is there anything I must do before
    > printing? With Jpeg, I just take the photos and then print.
    >
    > Thanks
    > John M

    When you use RAW format the file you get is the raw data, no
    descriptors or placements etc. You need to use a RAW processing program
    to open the files. Each camera manufacturer has a raw processing
    program and there are more universal raw processors from software
    companies like Adobe. Often it is said that the manufacturer's programs
    are the best, but remember these folks make cameras not software.
    Adobe ACR is a good processor, works with Photoshop and PS Elements,
    Phase One has C1 a very well thought of processor, Pixmantec has Raw
    Shooter Essentials which may still be available free (Pixmantec just
    sold out to Adobe), Bibble and Silky Pics also have a following.
    Think about developing film, it is a good analogy, RAW processing can
    save not so well exposed pictures add/subtract contrast, sharpen etc. A
    very valuable tool.
    If your camera takes excessive time to write RAW files to the memory
    card you also loose some spontaneity in picture taking. As always it is
    a trade off, with my DSLR I use RAW with my point and shoot jpeg.

    Tom
    tomm42, Aug 8, 2006
  5. John  Mather

    Jim Guest

    > Being just new to digital photography, I have a question regarding "Raw"
    > format. When shooting in this format, is there anything I must do before
    > printing? With Jpeg, I just take the photos and then print.
    >
    > Thanks
    > John M

    You need a photo editing program to read the RAW file into memory. This
    action converts the RAW data into an array of pixel data. You print this
    array. There is no need to save the memory array in any format, unless you
    have made changes to the pixel data that you would like to keep.
    Jim
    Jim, Aug 9, 2006
  6. John  Mather

    Guest

    John Mather wrote:
    > Being just new to digital photography, I have a question regarding "Raw"
    > format. When shooting in this format, is there anything I must do before
    > printing? With Jpeg, I just take the photos and then print.
    >
    > Thanks
    > John M

    One question then is why you would use RAW. A print on paper has less
    tonal range even than the jpeg format and MUCH less than RAW.

    In print processing of negatives, one always had to decide where in the
    available tonal range in the neg one wanted to print, or to compress
    the tonal range for the print. With digital, RAW allows expanded
    ability to do this compared to jpeg, which already compresses the tonal
    range some. If you are not going to "do" anything with the image
    before printing, there is no reason to use RAW. If you DO print
    straight from an opened RAW image you are likely to lose tones at one
    end of the scale or the other.
    , Aug 9, 2006
  7. John  Mather

    ColinD Guest

    John Mather wrote:
    > Being just new to digital photography, I have a question regarding "Raw"
    > format. When shooting in this format, is there anything I must do before
    > printing? With Jpeg, I just take the photos and then print.
    >
    > Thanks
    > John M

    A major reason to shoot RAW is the shortened dynamic range available
    with the camera doing the jpeg thing. Highlights once blown in a Jpeg
    cannot be recovered, but highlight retention with RAW is at least 1½ to
    2 stops better. Color balance, tonality etc can be manipulated with RAW
    to a much greater degree than can be done with a Jpeg.

    But, if all you want are 6x4 prints, then RAW is overkill. OTOH,
    shooting RAW lets you in for a lot more time at your computer if you
    want to manipulate your images, though there are programs like DxO
    Optics that do most of it automatically. For special shots you still
    have to tweak manually specially if you are into exhibition photography.

    Colin D.

    ColinD, Aug 10, 2006
  8. John  Mather

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    One thing about RAW you have the extra flexibility, but you had better like
    spending time processing each and every image. Even for something like a 5
    shot panorama you have to process each of those 5 shots, save them out of
    the RAW format and then stitch them. With JPG or TIF you stitch them and
    then adjust one single image. I don't like wasting all of the time
    processing RAW shots that would have been just fine in JPG or TIF. I do
    however use RAW anytime I am going to take a shot that is going to be tricky
    on color and/or exposure. I have gotten pretty good in telling when I will
    need the extra that RAW offers. Otherwise RAW is a waste of time and memory
    card space.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 10, 2006
  9. John  Mather

    Arthur Small Guest

    You adjust the first RAW image and apply the adjustments to the remaining
    four. No need to adjust each individually.

    www.alldigital.fotopic.net
    Arthur Small, Aug 10, 2006
  10. John  Mather

    ColinD Guest

    Arthur Small wrote:
    > You adjust the first RAW image and apply the adjustments to the remaining
    > four. No need to adjust each individually.
    >
    > www.alldigital.fotopic.net

    Yes, if they are of the same or similar subject/s. A different subject
    under different lighting may well require individual attention - wedding
    shots, for example. Some inside, some outside, some with flash, etc.

    Colin D.

    ColinD, Aug 11, 2006
  11. John  Mather

    John Mather Guest

    Thanks to all who replied. I have a much better understanding now.

    John Mather, Aug 13, 2006
  12. John  Mather

    Scott W Guest

    Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    > One thing about RAW you have the extra flexibility, but you had better like
    > spending time processing each and every image. Even for something like a 5
    > shot panorama you have to process each of those 5 shots, save them out of
    > the RAW format and then stitch them.

    I do a lot of photo stitching, often with 40 or more images to from
    one. I started out using jpeg, mainly because or the memory raw files
    take up. But now flash memory is getting really cheap and so I have
    switched to all raw even for stitched photos.

    For stitching raw is great. I look for the photo in the bunch that has
    the greatest expsoure and adjust it untill the highlights are not
    blown, then apply these same adjustment to all the photos in the group.
    I can then convert the whole batch of them to tiffs and stitch from
    the tiffs. Once I am don't stitching if I want I can delete the tiffs
    since I can quickly regenerate them if needed. Note that the tiff
    files take up a lot more room then the raw files do.

    Scott
    Scott W, Aug 13, 2006