    Any other advice?

    Dave
    earguy
    EarGuy, Sep 8, 2006

  2. EarGuy

    Mark² Guest

    EarGuy wrote:
    > I'll be on the sidelines of my local high school football team taking
    > photos for them. Using Canon 10D with a Sigma 80-200 f/2.0,monopod.
    >
    > I've shot community league games and found that even shooting at high
    > ISO's, I'm woefully lacking light. I'm hoping the high school will
    > have a little more light in its night games.
    >
    > What is the general opinion of using a flash (Speedlight 400) in this
    > situation? Is it distracting to the players? I wouldn't be using it
    > a whole lot since it really only buys me a stop or two at a distance
    > of about 15 yards. But it might come in handy for goal line stands,
    > etc.
    >
    > Any other advice?

    Ask the coaches if they care. If they don't, you're fine. If they
    do...then you're stuck with what all the pro shooters are stuck with...no
    flash. In my personal opinion, it's not very helpful anyway, and is not
    likely worth the complaints. It can indeed be distracting...especially to
    defending players who are zeroing in on the guy with the ball, and often
    looking in your direction as you blast your subject with as high-power a
    flash as you can muster. Not the best plan. Your 10D should render very
    decent result even at ISO 1600...and if you can't get decent speeds with
    that and your f2, then I think you're not likely to get it with what tiny
    bit of extra, short-range flash you might add.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 8, 2006

  3. Mark² wrote:
    > EarGuy wrote:
    >> I'll be on the sidelines of my local high school football team taking
    >> photos for them. Using Canon 10D with a Sigma 80-200 f/2.0,monopod.
    >>
    >> I've shot community league games and found that even shooting at high
    >> ISO's, I'm woefully lacking light. I'm hoping the high school will
    >> have a little more light in its night games.
    >>
    >> What is the general opinion of using a flash (Speedlight 400) in this
    >> situation? Is it distracting to the players? I wouldn't be using it
    >> a whole lot since it really only buys me a stop or two at a distance
    >> of about 15 yards. But it might come in handy for goal line stands,
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> Any other advice?

    > Ask the coaches if they care. If they don't, you're fine. If they
    > do...then you're stuck with what all the pro shooters are stuck with...no
    > flash. In my personal opinion, it's not very helpful anyway, and is not
    > likely worth the complaints. It can indeed be distracting...especially to
    > defending players who are zeroing in on the guy with the ball, and often
    > looking in your direction as you blast your subject with as high-power a
    > flash as you can muster. Not the best plan. Your 10D should render very
    > decent result even at ISO 1600...and if you can't get decent speeds with
    > that and your f2, then I think you're not likely to get it with what tiny
    > bit of extra, short-range flash you might add.

    You must live in a different part of the world than I do. Our local HS
    has lighting that's poor to indifferent. At night games, flash is
    essential. All the photogs use them, and I wouldn't do them if it were
    banned. But I use a 580 and 550 for a bit of reach.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 8, 2006
  4. EarGuy

    Mark² Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> EarGuy wrote:
    >>> I'll be on the sidelines of my local high school football team
    >>> taking photos for them. Using Canon 10D with a Sigma 80-200
    >>> f/2.0,monopod. I've shot community league games and found that even
    >>> shooting at
    >>> high ISO's, I'm woefully lacking light. I'm hoping the high school
    >>> will have a little more light in its night games.
    >>>
    >>> What is the general opinion of using a flash (Speedlight 400) in
    >>> this situation? Is it distracting to the players? I wouldn't be
    >>> using it a whole lot since it really only buys me a stop or two at
    >>> a distance of about 15 yards. But it might come in handy for goal
    >>> line stands, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Any other advice?

    >> Ask the coaches if they care. If they don't, you're fine. If they
    >> do...then you're stuck with what all the pro shooters are stuck
    >> with...no flash. In my personal opinion, it's not very helpful
    >> anyway, and is not likely worth the complaints. It can indeed be
    >> distracting...especially to defending players who are zeroing in on
    >> the guy with the ball, and often looking in your direction as you
    >> blast your subject with as high-power a flash as you can muster. Not the
    >> best plan. Your 10D should render very decent result even
    >> at ISO 1600...and if you can't get decent speeds with that and your
    >> f2, then I think you're not likely to get it with what tiny bit of
    >> extra, short-range flash you might add.

    > You must live in a different part of the world than I do. Our local HS
    > has lighting that's poor to indifferent. At night games, flash is
    > essential. All the photogs use them, and I wouldn't do them if it were
    > banned. But I use a 580 and 550 for a bit of reach.

    Are you shooting at f2?? If you are, then you should do OK even under
    modest lighting at ISO 1600. I suspect he's not REALLY shooting at f2,
    because that would be one H-U-G-E lens at 200mm.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 8, 2006
  5. EarGuy wrote:
    > I'll be on the sidelines of my local high school football team taking
    > photos for them. Using Canon 10D with a Sigma 80-200 f/2.0,monopod.
    >
    > I've shot community league games and found that even shooting at high
    > ISO's, I'm woefully lacking light. I'm hoping the high school will
    > have a little more light in its night games.
    >
    > What is the general opinion of using a flash (Speedlight 400) in this
    > situation? Is it distracting to the players? I wouldn't be using it
    > a whole lot since it really only buys me a stop or two at a distance
    > of about 15 yards. But it might come in handy for goal line stands,
    > etc.
    >
    > Any other advice?
    >
    > Dave
    > earguy

    Fast lens, slower shutter speed etc. Frankly I don't fine flash much
    use, even very powerful flashes, which is what you are going to need. Learn
    to find the peak of the action. It takes more skill on the part of the
    photographer, but in the long run I believe it is better.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Sep 8, 2006
  6. Mark² wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> Mark² wrote:

    << Snipped bits out >>
    >> You must live in a different part of the world than I do. Our local HS
    >> has lighting that's poor to indifferent. At night games, flash is
    >> essential. All the photogs use them, and I wouldn't do them if it were
    >> banned. But I use a 580 and 550 for a bit of reach.

    > Are you shooting at f2?? If you are, then you should do OK even under
    > modest lighting at ISO 1600. I suspect he's not REALLY shooting at f2,
    > because that would be one H-U-G-E lens at 200mm.

    It's @ ƒ 2.8, or ƒ 4.0 depending on camera and lens. And I never go over
    ISO 800 unless I absolutely have to. And I was too lazy to look up the
    Sigma, also quite sure it was a 2.8....

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 8, 2006