    help learn .

    thanks
    nicky
    Nickyvonbuskergr, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Hi Nicky,

    I would suggest:
    - AF: top or middle focus point only (so: single point)
    - AF: AI servo mode
    - Drive mode: continuous
    - Images: Medium fine JPG (minimum)
    - Mode: Av (aperture priority), lens wide open (minimum Depth of Field)
    - ISO 200 to 800 (depending on available light and resulting shutter
    speeds)

    regards,
    Ton

    "Nickyvonbuskergr" <> schreef in bericht
    > if anyone been shooting sports with there 10 d cuold you please share

    your
    > ecperience regarding the best settings , shutter speed , tv mode,

    manual mode ,
    > or av mode and the settings to get the optimum results.

    <snip>

    > i was trying all kind of modes sports mode etc and couldn't come up

    with the
    > right combination , i did shoot a bunch and got some keeprrs but would

    like to
    > be more consistent , any advice or constructive critisim please , i do

    want to
    > learn more , while im at it could anyone recamend an interactive cd or

    book to

    Ton Heuvelmans, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Nickyvonbuskergr

    David Guest

    Here's what Sports Illustrated suggests for their photographers using the
    10D:

    http://www.siphoto.com/?canon10D.inc

    I always shoot with RAW mode, which makes for much better final prints. I
    like using a 1gig flash card which lets me take over 100 RAW images on one
    card.

    Turn your histogram on, and learn to use it. Here's a quick tutorial that
    worked for me:

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understandi
    ng-histograms.shtml

    And here's a good sports photography link:

    http://www.photo.net/sports/overview

    And finally, here's some of my stuff. I'm obviously amatuer:

    http://hometown.aol.com/earguy62/myhomepage/photo.html

    Have fun!

    Dave

    David, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Depends on what kind of sports. I've photographed professional
    baseball games using the 28-200 USM. Just used a high shutter speed
    same as any other camera. The autofocus is fast enough to keep up.
    And understanding of the game to anticipate action helps. Screw the
    flash and the stupid histogram.
    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 15, 2003
  5. Nickyvonbuskergr

    IRISH1EAR Guest

    hi ton, thanks for your help ;-)

    Hi Nicky,

    I would suggest:
    - AF: top or middle focus point only (so: single point)
    ( that would allow it to focus faster ? say try to center the players face in
    the center frame ?)
    - AF: AI servo mode (im somewhat familar with that mode , ill have to look over
    my manual more, i know ive had it on that drive before )
    - Drive mode: continuous (that is the same as al servo ? )
    - Images: Medium fine JPG (minimum) would it effect the quality if i were
    trying to get 8x10 prints from the pictures taken in that size? , i have it set
    on large jpeg mode)
    - Mode: Av (aperture priority) lens wide open (minimum Depth of Field)
    ( ive never had good results trying to get action shots in this mode ,guess i
    always have the aperature set wrong , to dark or to bright , any suggestions as
    to a good rule of thumb to follow , bright this eting , dark this setting etc
    ?- minumun dept of field that would be aperature f32 or f4 ? , please do
    explain im just learning )
    - ISO 200 to 800 (depending on available light and resulting shutter
    speeds)
    (will one still be able to get sharp shots that can be printed out 8x10 bumbing
    up the iso , again im still learing , thank you for your help.

    nicky

    IRISH1EAR, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Nickyvonbuskergr

    IRISH1EAR Guest

    thanks for your help dave !
    nicky

    IRISH1EAR, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Nickyvonbuskergr

    IRISH1EAR Guest

    thanks for the reply,
    what shutter speed do you use ?, highest and slowest depending on the weather
    (brightness, darkness)that day ?.
    alos just shooting in shutter priority mode or manual also ?.
    do you alsp bump up the iso ?
    nicky

    IRISH1EAR, Oct 16, 2003