    question is: if I have to stick to one lens with a D200, should I choose
    a fast wide-angle (30/1.4) or a slower zoom (18-200/3.5-5.6 VR)? (I'll
    try to get both in if I can.)

    Cynicor, Oct 14, 2007

  2. Cynicor

    Pat Guest

    On Oct 13, 11:19 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > I haven't done this before, but I'm going to try to get pictures at a
    > club this week. I'm sure some of you have done this before, so my
    > question is: if I have to stick to one lens with a D200, should I choose
    > a fast wide-angle (30/1.4) or a slower zoom (18-200/3.5-5.6 VR)? (I'll
    > try to get both in if I can.)

    Go with the bigger lens because you probably can't get too close.

    Depending on the club/band, the lighting might be pretty bright --
    esp. if spotlights are involved.

    Pat, Oct 14, 2007

  3. Cynicor

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:19:02 -0400, Cynicor
    <> wrote:

    >I haven't done this before, but I'm going to try to get pictures at a
    >club this week. I'm sure some of you have done this before, so my
    >question is: if I have to stick to one lens with a D200, should I choose
    >a fast wide-angle (30/1.4) or a slower zoom (18-200/3.5-5.6 VR)? (I'll
    >try to get both in if I can.)

    I recently shot a River Dance type stage show and had some pretty
    good results with a Canon 30d & 28-135 IS lens. The best results were
    when shooting Aperature Priority at ISO 1600 and spot metering. This
    combo allowed proper exposure of the main subjects and shutter speeds
    high enough to freeze most of the action.

    You should see very similar results with the D200.

    HTH and good luck,
    Bill

    Bill, Oct 14, 2007
  4. Cynicor

    <> wrote:

    >I haven't done this before, but I'm going to try to get pictures at a
    >club this week. I'm sure some of you have done this before, so my
    >question is: if I have to stick to one lens with a D200, should I choose
    >a fast wide-angle (30/1.4) or a slower zoom (18-200/3.5-5.6 VR)? (I'll
    >try to get both in if I can.)

    This is what I do for a living (theoretically, heh). The wide angle
    will do no good unless you're in the photo pit. And even then its use
    will be limited. OTOH, the zoom is too slow to get what you probably
    want.

    I use a 28-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8 99% of the time. In fact, the
    70-200 probably gets 80% of the use. I've used these same lenses on an
    A2, a 1n and now my 5D. I shoot in Manual. Depending on the lightand
    the speed of whichever lens you choose, you'll probably have to shoot
    between 1200 and 1600 ISO, spot metering. Shutter speeds between 60
    and 125 unless you get some bright lights to work with. Some clubs are
    so dimly lit that I hand-hold at 1/15 to 1/30, with mixed results.

    Good luck!

    JJ

    , Oct 15, 2007
  5. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:19:02 -0400, Cynicor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't done this before, but I'm going to try to get pictures at a
    >> club this week. I'm sure some of you have done this before, so my
    >> question is: if I have to stick to one lens with a D200, should I choose
    >> a fast wide-angle (30/1.4) or a slower zoom (18-200/3.5-5.6 VR)? (I'll
    >> try to get both in if I can.)

    > This is what I do for a living (theoretically, heh). The wide angle
    > will do no good unless you're in the photo pit. And even then its use
    > will be limited. OTOH, the zoom is too slow to get what you probably
    > want.
    >
    > I use a 28-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8 99% of the time. In fact, the
    > 70-200 probably gets 80% of the use. I've used these same lenses on an
    > A2, a 1n and now my 5D. I shoot in Manual. Depending on the lightand
    > the speed of whichever lens you choose, you'll probably have to shoot
    > between 1200 and 1600 ISO, spot metering. Shutter speeds between 60
    > and 125 unless you get some bright lights to work with. Some clubs are
    > so dimly lit that I hand-hold at 1/15 to 1/30, with mixed results.

    Thanks all. It's a tiny venue (Maxwell's in Hoboken). I'm not going to
    Shea Stadium to photo The Who or anything. I asked for a photo pass but
    never got a response so I didn't want to take a 70-200 f2.8 in.

    Cynicor, Oct 15, 2007