    to the lens.)

    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011

    Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.
    Cynicor, Oct 16, 2007

  2. Cynicor wrote:
    > OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
    > reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
    > restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with an
    > 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was an
    > annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a wireless
    > remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go down to ISO
    > 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the results, although
    > the drummer is one of those people who always gets red-eye in shots.
    > (Also because he was further away so the light came from a tighter angle
    > to the lens.)
    >
    > http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
    >
    > Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

    A good start, enjoyed the first dozen. But, waaaaaay too many! And I saw
    a couple of clunkers- you know, where the subject jumps out of the frame
    and you end up with.... nada. So, please edit mercilessly, Josh.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 16, 2007

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
    >> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
    >> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with
    >> an 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was
    >> an annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a
    >> wireless remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go
    >> down to ISO 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the
    >> results, although the drummer is one of those people who always gets
    >> red-eye in shots. (Also because he was further away so the light came
    >> from a tighter angle to the lens.)
    >>
    >> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
    >>
    >> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

    > A good start, enjoyed the first dozen. But, waaaaaay too many! And I saw
    > a couple of clunkers- you know, where the subject jumps out of the frame
    > and you end up with.... nada. So, please edit mercilessly, Josh.

    Make me.

    I am so tired right now - I dumped them all up there. Maybe I'll go back
    and cull it down to 124 images.
    Cynicor, Oct 16, 2007
  4. Cynicor wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> Cynicor wrote:
    >>> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
    >>> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
    >>> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with
    >>> an 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was
    >>> an annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a
    >>> wireless remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go
    >>> down to ISO 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the
    >>> results, although the drummer is one of those people who always gets
    >>> red-eye in shots. (Also because he was further away so the light came
    >>> from a tighter angle to the lens.)
    >>>
    >>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

    >> A good start, enjoyed the first dozen. But, waaaaaay too many! And I
    >> saw a couple of clunkers- you know, where the subject jumps out of the
    >> frame and you end up with.... nada. So, please edit mercilessly, Josh.

    > Make me.
    >
    > I am so tired right now - I dumped them all up there. Maybe I'll go back
    > and cull it down to 124 images.

    Atta boy. The finest editing starts with one image.....

    --
    john mcwilliams\\

    Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
    Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."
    John McWilliams, Oct 16, 2007
  5. Cynicor

    Paul Furman Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
    > reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
    > restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with an
    > 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was an
    > annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a wireless
    > remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go down to ISO
    > 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the results, although
    > the drummer is one of those people who always gets red-eye in shots.
    > (Also because he was further away so the light came from a tighter angle
    > to the lens.)
    >
    > http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
    >
    > Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

    I like the ones without flash... looks much more like a club & without
    those shadows on the wall.
    Paul Furman, Oct 16, 2007
  6. Paul Furman wrote:

    >> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
    >> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
    >> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage
    >> with an 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but
    >> there was an annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures
    >> with a wireless remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash
    >> and go down to ISO 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with
    >> the results, although the drummer is one of those people who always
    >> gets red-eye in shots. (Also because he was further away so the
    >> light came from a tighter angle to the lens.)
    >>
    >> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
    >>
    >> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

    No too bad. I definitely wouldn't have used the 18-200 VR for this type of
    photography. You should have definitely taken the 50/14 an 85/1.4 and left
    the flash home. You could have gotten away with the old 17-35/2.8 in a lot
    of them shots.

    > I like the ones without flash... looks much more like a club & without
    > those shadows on the wall.

    I agree! He could have had some sweet results at ISO 800 with the D200.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 16, 2007
  7. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >>> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
    >>> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
    >>> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage
    >>> with an 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but
    >>> there was an annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures
    >>> with a wireless remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash
    >>> and go down to ISO 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with
    >>> the results, although the drummer is one of those people who always
    >>> gets red-eye in shots. (Also because he was further away so the
    >>> light came from a tighter angle to the lens.)
    >>>
    >>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

    > No too bad. I definitely wouldn't have used the 18-200 VR for this type of
    > photography. You should have definitely taken the 50/14 an 85/1.4 and left
    > the flash home. You could have gotten away with the old 17-35/2.8 in a lot
    > of them shots.

    I had a 30/1.4 with me. But there was this middle-aged dummy with a
    horseshoe-baldness-hiding cap who would not be budged from right behind
    me, and he was showing up in every shot. I didn't have much room to
    maneuver. They also did basically no stage lighting - it was mostly just
    plain light most of the time, so I figured I'd get some good band shots.

    >> I like the ones without flash... looks much more like a club & without
    >> those shadows on the wall.

    > I agree! He could have had some sweet results at ISO 800 with the D200.

    You know, I just explained this above. Don't you people read??

    I did take some high-ISO shots of the opening band. I'll get them up as
    soon as my ears heal.
    Cynicor, Oct 16, 2007
  8. Cynicor

    Guest

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:49:45 -0400, Cynicor
    <> wrote:

    >I had a 30/1.4 with me. But there was this middle-aged dummy with a
    >horseshoe-baldness-hiding cap who would not be budged from right behind
    >me, and he was showing up in every shot. I didn't have much room to
    >maneuver. They also did basically no stage lighting - it was mostly just
    >plain light most of the time, so I figured I'd get some good band shots.

    >I did take some high-ISO shots of the opening band. I'll get them up as
    >soon as my ears heal.

    Welcome to my world! LOL!!! And NEVER leave home without a good pair
    of earplugs.

    JJ
    , Oct 18, 2007
  9. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:49:45 -0400, Cynicor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I had a 30/1.4 with me. But there was this middle-aged dummy with a
    >> horseshoe-baldness-hiding cap who would not be budged from right behind
    >> me, and he was showing up in every shot. I didn't have much room to
    >> maneuver. They also did basically no stage lighting - it was mostly just
    >> plain light most of the time, so I figured I'd get some good band shots.

    >> I did take some high-ISO shots of the opening band. I'll get them up as
    >> soon as my ears heal.

    > Welcome to my world! LOL!!! And NEVER leave home without a good pair
    > of earplugs.

    Yeah, but it was awesome. British Sea Power has won awards for being the
    best Live Act in the UK.
    Cynicor, Oct 18, 2007