    ofcourse, a tripod.

    Thanks,

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2005

  2. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    > within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    > city.
    >
    > On the highway, there are foot-bridges and some motor bridges
    > connecting the villages on either side of the highway. I was thinking
    > that perching myself on top of these would give me a nice place to
    > shoot oncoming cars. Also, maybe the shoulder of the highway. What do
    > you think is a nice angle to shoot the cars?
    >
    > Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?
    >
    > My equipment is a Canon 300D, a Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5, Sigma
    > 70-300mm f/4-5.6, a M42 mount 200mm f4 and the Canon kit lens. And,
    > ofcourse, a tripod.

    I'd shoot on the shoulder and pan along with the cars as they come buy.
    Remember you have to pan with the car. As basic as that sounds, you'd laugh
    at all the people at the track that just don't understand this. When I
    shoot NASCAR event, I usually start by open the lens all they way up and
    then play with shutter speed to get the effect I want. (advice BTW that I
    received here.) The slower the shutter the more blur you'll get in the
    background and spinning tires which translates into the feeling of
    movement/speed in your photo BUT the harder it will be to get a tack sharp
    image of the car. The faster the shutter does exactly the opposite; it
    freezes the background and tires but your pic doesn't represent the speed
    and motion that well. You don't mention and IS lens so you may want to keep
    you shutter speeds above your focal lengths. If you had an IS lens you can
    really manage to get in some slow shutter speeds. If you are lucky and
    it's really sunny, you can work with aperture moving closer to F8 or higher
    again depending on the affect you want. You may need to anyway to get the
    shutter speed down for that blurred look.

    If you haven't panned in the past go out and practice near the local
    highway. I had a lot of time to practice my first time at the track because
    there was race practice etc. but with rally racing I doubt you'll have that
    advantage. I got a lot of ass ends and front ends of the cars before I got
    the motion down.

    As to picks from above or coming at you, those shots look too static to me
    but you may feel differently.

    Have fun and post results. I'd love an opportunity to shoot Rally racing.
    Maybe one day. :)

    --

    Rob
    "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 19, 2005

  3. > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >> I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    >> within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside
    >> the city.

    []
    >> Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?

    Have you seen this rally or one like it before, even on TV? Might dust be
    a problem?

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    salgud Guest

    Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > >I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    > > within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    > > city.
    > >
    > > On the highway, there are foot-bridges and some motor bridges
    > > connecting the villages on either side of the highway. I was thinking
    > > that perching myself on top of these would give me a nice place to
    > > shoot oncoming cars. Also, maybe the shoulder of the highway. What do
    > > you think is a nice angle to shoot the cars?
    > >
    > > Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?
    > >
    > > My equipment is a Canon 300D, a Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5, Sigma
    > > 70-300mm f/4-5.6, a M42 mount 200mm f4 and the Canon kit lens. And,
    > > ofcourse, a tripod.
    > >

    > I'd shoot on the shoulder and pan along with the cars as they come buy.
    > Remember you have to pan with the car. As basic as that sounds, you'd laugh
    > at all the people at the track that just don't understand this. When I
    > shoot NASCAR event, I usually start by open the lens all they way up and
    > then play with shutter speed to get the effect I want. (advice BTW that I
    > received here.) The slower the shutter the more blur you'll get in the
    > background and spinning tires which translates into the feeling of
    > movement/speed in your photo BUT the harder it will be to get a tack sharp
    > image of the car. The faster the shutter does exactly the opposite; it
    > freezes the background and tires but your pic doesn't represent the speed
    > and motion that well. You don't mention and IS lens so you may want to keep
    > you shutter speeds above your focal lengths. If you had an IS lens you can
    > really manage to get in some slow shutter speeds. If you are lucky and
    > it's really sunny, you can work with aperture moving closer to F8 or higher
    > again depending on the affect you want. You may need to anyway to get the
    > shutter speed down for that blurred look.
    >
    > If you haven't panned in the past go out and practice near the local
    > highway. I had a lot of time to practice my first time at the track because
    > there was race practice etc. but with rally racing I doubt you'll have that
    > advantage. I got a lot of ass ends and front ends of the cars before I got
    > the motion down.
    >
    > As to picks from above or coming at you, those shots look too static to me
    > but you may feel differently.
    >
    > Have fun and post results. I'd love an opportunity to shoot Rally racing.
    > Maybe one day. :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rob
    > "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

    I agree with what Rob said, including the part about studies being
    disturbing!
    Taking pix from a bridge will usually get you high angle shots of cars
    coming at you or going away. You might as well go down in the pits and
    take your pix there. Instead, check out a couple of racing magazines to
    see how they do it, then go to a country road, if you have time, and
    practice what they did. Capturing the dymanics is the tricky part, with
    most any sport. The best pix will usually be with the car turning,
    front tires angled, leaning a bit (race cars don't lean much) and
    obviously stressed. And don't forget to get some face shots of the
    drivers and they navigate a hairy turn, if you have a long enough lens.
    I'd love to shoot a European style rally myself. Or Asian style, in
    your case.

    salgud, Oct 19, 2005
  5. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:bYr5f.132228$...
    >> "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    >>> within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside
    >>> the city.

    > []
    >>> Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?

    > Have you seen this rally or one like it before, even on TV? Might dust be
    > a problem?

    Dust is always a problem even in a controlled environment like at a track,
    however, the OP states that he will be shooting on a 4 lane highway. I
    don't think the dust is going to as bad as if they were racing on gravel.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 19, 2005
  6. Siddhartha Jain

    Neil Guest

    In message <>, "Robert R Kircher,
    Jr." <> writes
    >"David J Taylor"
    ><-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    >message news:bYr5f.132228$...
    >>> "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message

    >> []

    >> Have you seen this rally or one like it before, even on TV? Might dust be
    >> a problem?
    >>

    >Dust is always a problem even in a controlled environment like at a track,
    >however, the OP states that he will be shooting on a 4 lane highway. I
    >don't think the dust is going to as bad as if they were racing on gravel.

    Siddhartha,

    The only thing I would like to add is forget the tripod. There are
    likely to be too many people about, and it will only get in your way.

    If you're interested there's one of my rally photos at:

    http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/neil_pugh/index.html

    It's a scan from Fujichrome, taken a long time age, but plenty of dust
    visible!

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh

    Neil, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Siddhartha Jain

    jean Guest

    "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <> a écrit dans le message de
    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > >I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    > > within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    > > city.
    > >
    > > On the highway, there are foot-bridges and some motor bridges
    > > connecting the villages on either side of the highway. I was thinking
    > > that perching myself on top of these would give me a nice place to
    > > shoot oncoming cars. Also, maybe the shoulder of the highway. What do
    > > you think is a nice angle to shoot the cars?
    > >
    > > Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?
    > >
    > > My equipment is a Canon 300D, a Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5, Sigma
    > > 70-300mm f/4-5.6, a M42 mount 200mm f4 and the Canon kit lens. And,
    > > ofcourse, a tripod.
    > >

    > I'd shoot on the shoulder and pan along with the cars as they come buy.
    > Remember you have to pan with the car. As basic as that sounds, you'd

    laugh
    > at all the people at the track that just don't understand this. When I
    > shoot NASCAR event, I usually start by open the lens all they way up and
    > then play with shutter speed to get the effect I want. (advice BTW that I
    > received here.) The slower the shutter the more blur you'll get in the
    > background and spinning tires which translates into the feeling of
    > movement/speed in your photo BUT the harder it will be to get a tack sharp
    > image of the car. The faster the shutter does exactly the opposite; it
    > freezes the background and tires but your pic doesn't represent the speed
    > and motion that well. You don't mention and IS lens so you may want to

    keep
    > you shutter speeds above your focal lengths. If you had an IS lens you

    can
    > really manage to get in some slow shutter speeds. If you are lucky and
    > it's really sunny, you can work with aperture moving closer to F8 or

    higher
    > again depending on the affect you want. You may need to anyway to get the
    > shutter speed down for that blurred look.
    >
    > If you haven't panned in the past go out and practice near the local
    > highway. I had a lot of time to practice my first time at the track

    because
    > there was race practice etc. but with rally racing I doubt you'll have

    that
    > advantage. I got a lot of ass ends and front ends of the cars before I

    got
    > the motion down.
    >
    > As to picks from above or coming at you, those shots look too static to me
    > but you may feel differently.
    >
    > Have fun and post results. I'd love an opportunity to shoot Rally racing.
    > Maybe one day. :)

    Very good advice on panning. I usually pick a shutter speed slow enough to
    show movement 1/250 to 1/400 is OK with a 300mm lens and bump up the ISO so
    the lens is closed enough for a good DOF with a telephoto lens. At 100
    feet, a 300mm lens will give barely 10 feet of in focus distace at f8 which
    is slightly more than the car's width. The 300D lacks AI servo mode which
    will keep the lens focussed so you may have to experiment with the settings
    or even resort to manual focus on a pre-determined point where the cars will
    be when the picture is taken. If your lenses do not focus rapidly, then
    manual focus may be the only way to go, there is nothing more frustrating
    than having the lens hunt or be really out of focus when the shutter is
    pressed.

    If you can, identify many spots from which you can take pictures and move
    around, having the same background all the time is very dull.

    Jean

    jean, Oct 19, 2005
  8. "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
    > <> writes
    >>"David J Taylor"
    >><-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
    >>in
    >>message news:bYr5f.132228$...
    >>> []
    >>>
    >>> Have you seen this rally or one like it before, even on TV? Might dust
    >>> be
    >>> a problem?
    >>>

    >>Dust is always a problem even in a controlled environment like at a track,
    >>however, the OP states that he will be shooting on a 4 lane highway. I
    >>don't think the dust is going to as bad as if they were racing on gravel.
    >>

    > Siddhartha,
    >
    > The only thing I would like to add is forget the tripod. There are likely
    > to be too many people about, and it will only get in your way.
    >
    > If you're interested there's one of my rally photos at:
    >
    > http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/neil_pugh/index.html

    I meant to mention dropping the tripod but was distracted and forgot.

    You won't need it and it will just get in the way.

    Also, I like to pack light. If I were you I'd bring the 24-135 and the
    70-300 and leave the rest behind. Remember, that lens switching is most
    unadvisable in this environment. To be honest, I usually have my 28-135 and
    my 100-400 with me but the 100-400 is on the camera the most even when
    taking pics in the pits.

    Great pic BTW. I'd love to have an opportunity to shoot a rally race...
    Did I mention that already? Oh well. I guess I'll stick to oval racing.
    ;-)

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 19, 2005
  9. Siddhartha Jain

    Steve Kramer Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    > within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    > city.
    >
    > On the highway, there are foot-bridges and some motor bridges
    > connecting the villages on either side of the highway. I was thinking
    > that perching myself on top of these would give me a nice place to
    > shoot oncoming cars. Also, maybe the shoulder of the highway. What do
    > you think is a nice angle to shoot the cars?
    >
    > Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?

    Interesting..... I'll be shooting a three day classic car rally next
    month from Chiang Mai to the Burmese Border, around through the Golden
    Triangle and finishing up in Chiang Rai. No one will be moving too
    quickly (except me, as I have to keep running ahead of the pack at all
    times to photograph them coming into various shooting venues; ie; The
    departure from a 5 star hotel in Chiang Mai, mid morning breakfast at
    the estate of one of the sponsors, the Border Crossing at Mai Sai, the
    sign for the Golden Triangle, and the finish at the Legend Chiang Rai
    Resort. Thank God all the car entries are at least 30 years old. But I
    think I'm still going to running my tail off trying to shoot them coming
    and going from each venue. A lot of work, but the stakes will be high as
    many entrants will want photos of 'their baby' at the various landmarks,
    plus the pay for the job.

    I figure this to be a 40 Gig weekend..... Eight cards and a portable
    storage. Perhaps a laptop to help me sell the photos to the car owners.

    I'll use three bodies, Nikon D100's, with a 17-35 f/2.8 and a 28-70
    f/2.8, and a 70-200 IS. All mounted on Gitzo tripods, Singray ND grads,
    and a lot of prayer.

    Steve Kramer
    "PhotoEnvisions" Freelance Photography
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    http://www.photoenvisions.com

    --
    "The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons, but in seeing
    with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

    Steve Kramer, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Neil wrote:
    > In message <>, "Robert R Kircher,
    > Jr." <> writes
    > >"David J Taylor"
    > ><-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    > >message news:bYr5f.132228$...
    > >> []
    > >>
    > >> Have you seen this rally or one like it before, even on TV? Might dust be
    > >> a problem?
    > >>

    > >Dust is always a problem even in a controlled environment like at a track,
    > >however, the OP states that he will be shooting on a 4 lane highway. I
    > >don't think the dust is going to as bad as if they were racing on gravel.
    > >

    > Siddhartha,
    >
    > The only thing I would like to add is forget the tripod. There are
    > likely to be too many people about, and it will only get in your way.
    >
    > If you're interested there's one of my rally photos at:
    >
    > http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/neil_pugh/index.html
    >
    > It's a scan from Fujichrome, taken a long time age, but plenty of dust
    > visible!
    >
    > Regards
    > --
    > Neil Pugh

    Nice pic there, Neil.

    I don't expect too many people at this event. And most won't venture
    outside the city limits and several tens of kilometres on the highway
    to watch it. Also, its more like local rich kids showing off their
    super-cars (Porches, Ferraris and the like) than a *real* rally. And
    its all on tarmac, so won't see any wheels spinning and tyres
    screeching in dust :(

    Won't the tripod help in panning?

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2005
  11. Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    []
    > Won't the tripod help in panning?

    I've found that swivelling the body is the best way of panning, but I use
    a much lighter camera than a DSLR (Panasonic FZ5 with an image stablised
    36- 432mm zoom).

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 19, 2005
  12. Siddhartha Jain

    Capture Boy Guest

    "Steve Kramer" <> wrote in message

    > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    >>
    >> I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    >> within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    >> city.
    >>
    >> On the highway, there are foot-bridges and some motor bridges
    >> connecting the villages on either side of the highway. I was thinking
    >> that perching myself on top of these would give me a nice place to
    >> shoot oncoming cars. Also, maybe the shoulder of the highway. What do
    >> you think is a nice angle to shoot the cars?
    >>
    >> Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?

    > Interesting..... I'll be shooting a three day classic car rally next
    > month from Chiang Mai to the Burmese Border, around through the Golden
    > Triangle and finishing up in Chiang Rai. No one will be moving too
    > quickly (except me, as I have to keep running ahead of the pack at all
    > times to photograph them coming into various shooting venues; ie; The
    > departure from a 5 star hotel in Chiang Mai, mid morning breakfast at
    > the estate of one of the sponsors, the Border Crossing at Mai Sai, the
    > sign for the Golden Triangle, and the finish at the Legend Chiang Rai
    > Resort. Thank God all the car entries are at least 30 years old. But I
    > think I'm still going to running my tail off trying to shoot them coming
    > and going from each venue. A lot of work, but the stakes will be high as
    > many entrants will want photos of 'their baby' at the various landmarks,
    > plus the pay for the job.
    >
    > I figure this to be a 40 Gig weekend..... Eight cards and a portable
    > storage. Perhaps a laptop to help me sell the photos to the car owners.
    >
    > I'll use three bodies, Nikon D100's, with a 17-35 f/2.8 and a 28-70
    > f/2.8, and a 70-200 IS. All mounted on Gitzo tripods, Singray ND grads,
    > and a lot of prayer.
    >
    > Steve Kramer
    > "PhotoEnvisions" Freelance Photography
    > Chiang Mai, Thailand
    > http://www.photoenvisions.com
    >
    > --
    > "The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons, but in seeing
    > with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

    One thing I can not stress enough, is stand in a place of safety. Don't
    stand below the level of the road, try and find something substantial to
    stand behind.

    The last shot you don't want to take is your last ever.

    Capture Boy, Oct 19, 2005
  13. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message

    > Neil wrote:
    >> In message <>, "Robert R Kircher,
    >> Jr." <> writes
    >> >"David J Taylor"
    >> ><-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
    >> >in
    >> >message news:bYr5f.132228$...

    >> >Dust is always a problem even in a controlled environment like at a
    >> >track,
    >> >however, the OP states that he will be shooting on a 4 lane highway. I
    >> >don't think the dust is going to as bad as if they were racing on
    >> >gravel.
    >> >

    >> Siddhartha,
    >>
    >> The only thing I would like to add is forget the tripod. There are
    >> likely to be too many people about, and it will only get in your way.
    >>
    >> If you're interested there's one of my rally photos at:
    >>
    >> http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/neil_pugh/index.html
    >>
    >> It's a scan from Fujichrome, taken a long time age, but plenty of dust
    >> visible!
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> --
    >> Neil Pugh

    > Nice pic there, Neil.
    >
    > I don't expect too many people at this event. And most won't venture
    > outside the city limits and several tens of kilometres on the highway
    > to watch it. Also, its more like local rich kids showing off their
    > super-cars (Porches, Ferraris and the like) than a *real* rally. And
    > its all on tarmac, so won't see any wheels spinning and tyres
    > screeching in dust :(
    >
    > Won't the tripod help in panning?

    Panning is a very fluid motion so I wouldn't thing a tripod would help
    unless its a damn good one. In my oval track experience there is a lot of
    travel up and down as well as right to left/left to right so I think I'd
    find a tripod restrictive. I guess you could keep the head loose enough
    for the camera to track up and down as well as left and right but I think
    I'd be more comfortable with out the tripod. I also think there is some
    lateral motion when panning by hand that can be helpful.

    I usually pic my spot and position feet close to 90 degrees to the point
    were the care will travel right in front of me. This way I have almost 180
    degrees of torso travel as the car comes past. If you can do a few practice
    passes, set you zoom and pick out some stationary points across from you
    that you can use as a trigger to start shooting. This will allow you to
    pick up the car as it coming towards you, get into the panning motion and
    get your framing set, and then as you see you stationary point in the lens
    start shooting. Adjust you stance as necessary so that you are comfortable
    with the motion.

    One other note about panning, you don't want to be right on top of the
    action as this will reduce the arc of you movement and make panning more
    difficult because your motion will have to be faster to keep up with the
    car. If you can position yourself back away from the road and use you zoom
    you should be able to use a slower panning motion and have a better chance
    getting a good shot.

    Someone mentions the lack of AI Servo on the 300D. If I remember correctly
    the Russian hacked firmware adds this back into the camera. If not, the
    300D should eventually shift into AI Servo and start continual focusing
    when it realizes the subject is moving. This is another reason to pick up
    the car and start panning before you start shooting. It should give the
    camera time to realize the subject mater is moving and refocus as necessary.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 19, 2005
  14. "Capture Boy" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Kramer" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    >>> within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    >>> city.
    >>>
    >>> On the highway, there are foot-bridges and some motor bridges
    >>> connecting the villages on either side of the highway. I was thinking
    >>> that perching myself on top of these would give me a nice place to
    >>> shoot oncoming cars. Also, maybe the shoulder of the highway. What do
    >>> you think is a nice angle to shoot the cars?
    >>>
    >>> Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?

    >> Interesting..... I'll be shooting a three day classic car rally next
    >> month from Chiang Mai to the Burmese Border, around through the Golden
    >> Triangle and finishing up in Chiang Rai. No one will be moving too
    >> quickly (except me, as I have to keep running ahead of the pack at all
    >> times to photograph them coming into various shooting venues; ie; The
    >> departure from a 5 star hotel in Chiang Mai, mid morning breakfast at
    >> the estate of one of the sponsors, the Border Crossing at Mai Sai, the
    >> sign for the Golden Triangle, and the finish at the Legend Chiang Rai
    >> Resort. Thank God all the car entries are at least 30 years old. But I
    >> think I'm still going to running my tail off trying to shoot them coming
    >> and going from each venue. A lot of work, but the stakes will be high as
    >> many entrants will want photos of 'their baby' at the various landmarks,
    >> plus the pay for the job.
    >>
    >> I figure this to be a 40 Gig weekend..... Eight cards and a portable
    >> storage. Perhaps a laptop to help me sell the photos to the car owners.
    >>
    >> I'll use three bodies, Nikon D100's, with a 17-35 f/2.8 and a 28-70
    >> f/2.8, and a 70-200 IS. All mounted on Gitzo tripods, Singray ND grads,
    >> and a lot of prayer.
    >>
    >> Steve Kramer
    >> "PhotoEnvisions" Freelance Photography
    >> Chiang Mai, Thailand
    >> http://www.photoenvisions.com
    >>
    >> --
    >> "The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons, but in seeing
    >> with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

    > One thing I can not stress enough, is stand in a place of safety. Don't
    > stand below the level of the road, try and find something substantial to
    > stand behind.
    >
    > The last shot you don't want to take is your last ever.

    and even in oval track racing you can very easily get focused on what you
    are seeing in the camera and loose all site of what going on around you.
    While taking some pics in the pits at Atlanta this year I was trained on
    getting a drivers pic and didn't realize that another car was coming by.
    Luckily one of the crew members of this car pushed me aside. He was fairly
    violent about it but it sure did drive the lesson home.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 19, 2005
  15. Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    > within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    > city.
    >
    > On the highway, there are foot-bridges and some motor bridges
    > connecting the villages on either side of the highway. I was thinking
    > that perching myself on top of these would give me a nice place to
    > shoot oncoming cars. Also, maybe the shoulder of the highway. What do
    > you think is a nice angle to shoot the cars?

    Go to the shoulder of the highway tomorrow and start practicing. Panning is
    not easy and you will need an awful lot of shots to get a real good one. It
    might take a while to find a good spot, so dont wait for the weekend.

    Thomas

    Thomas =?ISO-8859-15?Q?M=FCller?=, Oct 19, 2005
  16. Siddhartha Jain

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <>, "Robert R Kircher,
    Jr." <> writes

    >Someone mentions the lack of AI Servo on the 300D. If I remember correctly
    >the Russian hacked firmware adds this back into the camera. If not, the
    >300D should eventually shift into AI Servo and start continual focusing
    >when it realizes the subject is moving. This is another reason to pick up
    >the car and start panning before you start shooting. It should give the
    >camera time to realize the subject mater is moving and refocus as necessary.

    Another method is to turn the autofocus off and focus on the road where
    the car will (hopefully) be when you press the shutter. This is what I
    always did when I took most of my rallying photos with my trusty Canon
    A1, long before the days of autofocus lenses.

    If you take the tripod I guarantee you'll regret it!

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh

    Neil Pugh, Oct 19, 2005
  17. "Neil Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
    > <> writes
    >>
    >>Someone mentions the lack of AI Servo on the 300D. If I remember
    >>correctly
    >>the Russian hacked firmware adds this back into the camera. If not, the
    >>300D should eventually shift into AI Servo and start continual focusing
    >>when it realizes the subject is moving. This is another reason to pick up
    >>the car and start panning before you start shooting. It should give the
    >>camera time to realize the subject mater is moving and refocus as
    >>necessary.
    >>

    > Another method is to turn the autofocus off and focus on the road where
    > the car will (hopefully) be when you press the shutter. This is what I
    > always did when I took most of my rallying photos with my trusty Canon A1,
    > long before the days of autofocus lenses.

    Very good point and helpful when shooting at night as well, although most
    tracks are lit well enough for auto focus to work it can sometimes be
    problematic. It does greatly reduce the span in which you can fire the
    shutter while panning however. AI Servo is so nice in this case. ;-)

    > If you take the tripod I guarantee you'll regret it!

    I got to agree here. I just couldn't picture doing this with a tripod.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 19, 2005
  18. Siddhartha Jain

    Jay Beckman Guest

    >I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    > within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    > city.

    <SNIP>>

    > Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?

    Don't stand on the outside of any turns...cars can and do run off the road.

    Do shoot with BOTH eyes open...see above.

    As rallys are liniear in nature and the cars will only go past each spot
    once (as opposed to oval track racing where if you miss, just wait 'cause
    they'll be right back...) stick to techniques that you know cold and could
    do in your sleep.

    A one shot deal is not the place to try "experiments."

    YMMV,

    Jay Beckman
    Chandler, AZ

    Jay Beckman, Oct 19, 2005
  19. On 19-Oct-05 13:05:59, Siddhartha Jain said
    >I am going to shoot a car rally this sunday in Bombay. It starts from
    >within the city and then heads out to an eight-lane highway outside the
    >city.

    >On the highway, there are foot-bridges and some motor bridges
    >connecting the villages on either side of the highway. I was thinking
    >that perching myself on top of these would give me a nice place to
    >shoot oncoming cars. Also, maybe the shoulder of the highway. What do
    >you think is a nice angle to shoot the cars?

    >Also, any other tips/suggestions for the shoot?

    No technical advice, but be careful. Often the best places for photography
    of this kind of subject are very dangerous. The cars _do_ come off
    frequently. Be careful.

    All the best,
    Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

    I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
    Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

    Angus Manwaring, Oct 19, 2005
  20. Siddhartha Jain

    Frank ess Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > Neil wrote:
    >> In message <>, "Robert R
    >> Kircher,
    >> Jr." <> writes
    >>> "David J Taylor"
    >>> <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> Dust is always a problem even in a controlled environment like at
    >>> track, however, the OP states that he will be shooting on a 4 lane
    >>> highway. I don't think the dust is going to as bad as if they
    >>> were
    >>> racing on gravel.
    >>>

    >> Siddhartha,
    >>
    >> The only thing I would like to add is forget the tripod. There are
    >> likely to be too many people about, and it will only get in your
    >> way.
    >>
    >> If you're interested there's one of my rally photos at:
    >>
    >> http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/neil_pugh/index.html
    >>
    >> It's a scan from Fujichrome, taken a long time age, but plenty of
    >> dust visible!
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> --
    >> Neil Pugh

    > Nice pic there, Neil.
    >
    > I don't expect too many people at this event. And most won't venture
    > outside the city limits and several tens of kilometres on the
    > highway
    > to watch it. Also, its more like local rich kids showing off their
    > super-cars (Porches, Ferraris and the like) than a *real* rally. And
    > its all on tarmac, so won't see any wheels spinning and tyres
    > screeching in dust :(
    >
    > Won't the tripod help in panning?
    >
    > - Siddhartha

    You've been given plenty of good advice. I have quite a bit of
    experience shooting cars in competition, and can add just a few
    observations.

    Think about what you hope to capture. Many "action photos" come out
    like car portraits that can be more carefully and safely made when the
    subjects are motionless. Real action is usually at transition points:
    braking and turning are actually and visually more exciting than
    straight-line accelleration. Changes in road surface can add spice.
    Passing maneuvers, too.

    You may be lucky enough to find a location that gives a unique and
    interesting view. Be certain it is safe. Plan and rehearse your escape
    route. Sometimes perception of "peak" experience slows down, but the
    action does not. It's better to underestimate your ability to move
    than a car's ability to attempt to occupy your space.

    My most successful pictures were made in relatively slow corners where
    I could zero in on the drivers' faces. It seemed to me they had ample
    opportunity to look at their cars, but seldom got to see the
    concentration shown in a close-up. That may not be possible these
    days, with full-face helmets the norm.

    You may want to think in terms of a photo-story: before, during, and
    after shots keyed to particular participants were popular as well.

    Stay safe in any event.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 19, 2005