Shoot-In - Looking forward to it

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jan 18, 2010.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    I'm looking forward to the Shoot-In. The mandate of shooting only
    with a 50mm lens puts a crimp in my style. I'm not a landscape/scenic
    shooter or a flower or pet shooter, so I like shooting with a 55/200
    and zooming in.

    Florida, especially this time of year, doesn't have much to offer in
    landscapes. It's still green here in some places, but the grass is
    yellow, the plants are dead from the freeze, and the trees are thin.

    The mandate did stretch me a bit, though, and that's good. I tried an
    architectural color shot that I wouldn't have done otherwise and I got
    closer than I usually do with a candid shot. (The subject was so weary
    that he didn't notice me) I do a lot of candid people shots, but I'm
    usually well back and shooting at 200. Because of the dull colors
    around here, I made a black & white out of what would have been a
    color shot.

    All three shot this morning.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 18, 2010

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:14:37 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2010-01-17 18:47:23 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> I'm looking forward to the Shoot-In. The mandate of shooting only
    >> with a 50mm lens puts a crimp in my style. I'm not a landscape/scenic
    >> shooter or a flower or pet shooter, so I like shooting with a 55/200
    >> and zooming in.
    >>
    >> Florida, especially this time of year, doesn't have much to offer in
    >> landscapes. It's still green here in some places, but the grass is
    >> yellow, the plants are dead from the freeze, and the trees are thin.
    >>
    >> The mandate did stretch me a bit, though, and that's good. I tried an
    >> architectural color shot that I wouldn't have done otherwise and I got
    >> closer than I usually do with a candid shot. (The subject was so weary
    >> that he didn't notice me) I do a lot of candid people shots, but I'm
    >> usually well back and shooting at 200. Because of the dull colors
    >> around here, I made a black & white out of what would have been a
    >> color shot.
    >>
    >> All three shot this morning.

    >Just to clarify things. I understood that this was to be 50mm on 35mm
    >or FF, or the equivalent for a cropped sensor.
    >Since my new D300s is still en route, I broke out the old D70 and 35mm
    >f2.0 which gives me approximately 52mm, 35mm/FF equivalent.
    >If I was wrong then Bowser had better ditch my 3 mediocre submissions.

    I doubt if it will be that tight. I used my 18/55 and set it as close
    to 50 as I could, but there's no line there. When I shot several in a
    row, it may have moved a bit. I conformed in theory, but maybe not in
    practice.

    I'm expecting great things from some of our landscape/scenic shooters.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 18, 2010

  3. tony cooper

    Paul Furman Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:14:37 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2010-01-17 18:47:23 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking forward to the Shoot-In. The mandate of shooting only
    >>> with a 50mm lens puts a crimp in my style. I'm not a landscape/scenic
    >>> shooter or a flower or pet shooter, so I like shooting with a 55/200
    >>> and zooming in.
    >>>
    >>> Florida, especially this time of year, doesn't have much to offer in
    >>> landscapes. It's still green here in some places, but the grass is
    >>> yellow, the plants are dead from the freeze, and the trees are thin.
    >>>
    >>> The mandate did stretch me a bit, though, and that's good. I tried an
    >>> architectural color shot that I wouldn't have done otherwise and I got
    >>> closer than I usually do with a candid shot. (The subject was so weary
    >>> that he didn't notice me) I do a lot of candid people shots, but I'm
    >>> usually well back and shooting at 200. Because of the dull colors
    >>> around here, I made a black & white out of what would have been a
    >>> color shot.
    >>>
    >>> All three shot this morning.

    >> Just to clarify things. I understood that this was to be 50mm on 35mm
    >> or FF, or the equivalent for a cropped sensor.
    >> Since my new D300s is still en route, I broke out the old D70 and 35mm
    >> f2.0 which gives me approximately 52mm, 35mm/FF equivalent.
    >> If I was wrong then Bowser had better ditch my 3 mediocre submissions.

    > I doubt if it will be that tight. I used my 18/55 and set it as close
    > to 50 as I could,

    18-55 sounds like an APS lens, for that it should have been about 30mm.
    If you normally shoot at 200mm then that's close enough for the intent
    of the mandate.

    > but there's no line there. When I shot several in a
    > row, it may have moved a bit. I conformed in theory, but maybe not in
    > practice.
    >
    > I'm expecting great things from some of our landscape/scenic shooters.

    I hope so, mine stink for this mandate. I got a film camera & shot a
    roll of kodak gold from walgreens & got a photo CD at 1800 pixels, had
    some struggles with the meter tab spring missing. Nikon EM paired with
    45mm f/1.8.

    And a surreal extreme macro with a 50mm on bellows.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 18, 2010