    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    - Frank

    Frank, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Frank

    Frank ess Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been searching without success for recommendations on a digital
    > camera that can withstand being dropped from a reasonable distance.
    > Something that has a reputation for being able to withstand the
    > occasional bump or drop?
    >
    > Someone dropped my Coolpix 880 about 5 inches (onto a table) and it
    > cost over $200 to get it repaired, so now I want to get a more rugged
    > camera that I can lend out instead. Looking for 2 or 3 megapixel,
    > with good image quality.

    I dropped my 3MP Minolta Dimmidge Xt a foot and a half onto concrete,
    and other than a flat corner on the case, no perceptible consequences.

    I dropped my Nikon CP8700 a foot onto AstroTurfT on concrete, with no
    visible or functional consequences. That I know of. So far.

    --
    Frank ess

    PS: The reason for two dashes on a line above a sig is so that
    thoughtful newsreaders will automatically cut off the signature and sig
    lines, enabling easy, thoughtful, considerate bottom-posting.

    Frank ess, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Frank

    Chris D Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:34:08 -0700
    "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    > --
    > Frank ess
    >
    > PS: The reason for two dashes on a line above a sig is so that
    >
    > thoughtful newsreaders will automatically cut off the
    > signature and sig lines, enabling easy, thoughtful,
    > considerate bottom-posting.

    <pedant>
    Actually, the proper sig seperator, and the one that thoughtful
    newsreaders will automatically cut off, is two dashes, then a
    space. The space is important, and thoughtful newsreaders need
    it to work.

    If I actually manage to find the relevant RFC, I'll post it for
    you.
    </pedant>

    - Chris D

    --
    Like this, see ;)

    Chris D, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Frank

    Chris D Guest

    [OT] Re: Shock-resistant digital camera recommendations?

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:10:08 +0930
    Chris D <> wrote:

    > If I actually manage to find the relevant RFC, I'll post it
    > for you.
    > </pedant>

    Here's one that reffers to it... not what I was after though.

    RFC 2646, section 4.3 - http://rfc.net/rfc2646.html#s4.3.

    "There is a convention in Usenet news of using '-- ' as the
    separator line between the body and the signature of a
    message. When generating a Format=Flowed message containing a
    Usenet-style separator before the signature, the separator
    line is sent as-is. This is a special case; an (optionally
    quoted) line consisting of DASH DASH SP is not considered
    flowed."

    -Chris D

    --
    Hey, who stole my .sig?!

    Oh, waitup, here it is.

    Chris D, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Frank

    Frank ess Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Shock-resistant digital camera recommendations?

    Chris D wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:10:08 +0930
    > Chris D <> wrote:
    >

    >> If I actually manage to find the relevant RFC, I'll post it
    >> for you.
    >> </pedant>

    > Here's one that reffers to it... not what I was after though.
    >
    > RFC 2646, section 4.3 - http://rfc.net/rfc2646.html#s4.3.
    >
    > "There is a convention in Usenet news of using '-- ' as the
    > separator line between the body and the signature of a
    > message. When generating a Format=Flowed message containing a
    > Usenet-style separator before the signature, the separator
    > line is sent as-is. This is a special case; an (optionally
    > quoted) line consisting of DASH DASH SP is not considered
    > flowed."
    >
    > -Chris D

    Thank you.

    --
    Frank ess

    --
    Frank ess ... If your 'reader cuts after the "Thank you." it is like
    mine, and doesn't need the SP.

    Frank ess, Oct 13, 2004
  6. Frank

    Chris D Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Shock-resistant digital camera recommendations?

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:35:57 -0700
    "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    > Thank you.

    You're welcome :) I Hafta say I'm impressed to see someone
    actually doing the "Right thing" in newsgroups thesedays :eek:

    -Chris D

    --
    work, n.:

    The blessed respite from screaming kids and soap operas for
    which you actually get paid.

    Chris D, Oct 13, 2004
  7. Frank

    Chris D wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:35:57 -0700
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you.

    > You're welcome :) I Hafta say I'm impressed to see someone
    > actually doing the "Right thing" in newsgroups thesedays :eek:
    >
    > -Chris D

    Sad that it's only remarkable to someone for whom a large majority of
    learning was after "these days" came along.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 13, 2004
  8. Frank

    Frank Guest

    > I dropped my 3MP Minolta Dimmidge Xt a foot and a half onto concrete,
    > and other than a flat corner on the case, no perceptible consequences.
    >
    > I dropped my Nikon CP8700 a foot onto AstroTurfT on concrete, with no
    > visible or functional consequences. That I know of. So far.

    Thanks for the anecdotal evidence. Any one know of any cameras actually
    being marketed as shock resistant? Or that have gained a reputation as
    being tough (the way the old Pentax K1000 SLRs used to be known)?

    Frank, Oct 13, 2004
  9. Frank

    DM Guest

    Frank <> wrote in message news:<5lWad.27050$>...
    > I've been searching without success for recommendations on a digital
    > camera that can withstand being dropped from a reasonable distance.
    > Something that has a reputation for being able to withstand the
    > occasional bump or drop?

    I've come across a few that hold up and many that don't. With digicams
    it seems to be extremely hit and miss (the P&S ones), and repair bills
    can be as much as the cost of a new camera ($200++ etc). For rough use
    I keep an old P&S film camera (rollei afm 35), it's built to take a
    beating and keep on going. When I know for sure that it's going to be
    rough I pack in the old Nikon FM2... this baby can go on even after
    you and I are dead.

    DM, Oct 13, 2004
  10. Frank

    hfs2 Guest

    I dropped my 4330 about 3 feet onto asphalt(?). For about a day
    the image in the eye piece was blurry. It healed overnight and
    now works the same way it used to (not 100% but good enough).

    hfs2, Oct 14, 2004