sho serial interface - available bandwith

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Stefan Heinrich, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I was really surprised today about an output of an 'show serial
    interface'. I have never seen the line with 'Available bandwith' .
    The router 26xx has a couple of simple standard leased lines with
    2.048Mbps
    The configuration is something like:

    interface Serial0/2
    description Leased Line 2Mbps
    bandwidth 2048
    ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0
    ip pim sparse-dense-mode
    no cdp enable
    -----

    What I do not understand is the line below with
    'Available Bandwidth 1536 kilobits/sec'
    I did not find anything helpful at Cisco CCO.

    Can anyone tell me what the line means ?
    Is there any impact ? Lower bandwith ? Wrong clock rate ?
    Any useful link ?

    Thanks
    Stefan

    -------
    R02#sho int s0/2
    Serial0/2 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial
    Interface is unnumbered. Using address of FastEthernet0/0 (x.x.x.x)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 147/255, rxload 7/255
    Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1w3d
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
    84
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 0/1000/64/84 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 0/64/256 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 1536 kilobits/sec
    ---cut---

    Stefan Heinrich, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Stefan Heinrich wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was really surprised today about an output of an 'show serial
    > interface'. I have never seen the line with 'Available bandwith' .
    > The router 26xx has a couple of simple standard leased lines with
    > 2.048Mbps
    > The configuration is something like:
    >
    > interface Serial0/2
    > description Leased Line 2Mbps
    > bandwidth 2048
    > ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0
    > ip pim sparse-dense-mode
    > no cdp enable
    > -----
    >
    > What I do not understand is the line below with
    > 'Available Bandwidth 1536 kilobits/sec'
    > I did not find anything helpful at Cisco CCO.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what the line means ?
    > Is there any impact ? Lower bandwith ? Wrong clock rate ?
    > Any useful link ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Stefan
    >
    > -------
    > R02#sho int s0/2
    > Serial0/2 is up, line protocol is up
    > Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial
    > Interface is unnumbered. Using address of FastEthernet0/0 (x.x.x.x)
    > MTU 1500 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    > reliability 255/255, txload 147/255, rxload 7/255
    > Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set
    > Keepalive set (10 sec)
    > Last input 00:00:02, output 00:00:00, output hang never
    > Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1w3d
    > Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
    > 84
    > Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    > Output queue: 0/1000/64/84 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    > Conversations 0/64/256 (active/max active/max total)
    > Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    > Available Bandwidth 1536 kilobits/sec
    > 5 minute input rate 61000 bits/sec, 79 packets/sec
    > 5 minute output rate 1182000 bits/sec, 123 packets/sec
    > ---cut---

    That is the remaining bandwidth available for reservations (QoS). By
    default, 75% of the interface bandwidth can be reserved (in your
    display, 75% of 2048 is 1536). For example, if you reserve bandwidth for
    voice (e.g. rtp priority xxx), the allocated bandwidth is deducted from
    the available bandwidth.
    Igi.

    Ignaz Kraehenmann, Oct 8, 2004

  3. On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 02:04:45 +0200, Ignaz Kraehenmann
    <> wrote:

    >Stefan Heinrich wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> What I do not understand is the line below with
    >> 'Available Bandwidth 1536 kilobits/sec'
    >> I did not find anything helpful at Cisco CCO.

    >That is the remaining bandwidth available for reservations (QoS). By
    >default, 75% of the interface bandwidth can be reserved (in your
    >display, 75% of 2048 is 1536). For example, if you reserve bandwidth for
    >voice (e.g. rtp priority xxx), the allocated bandwidth is deducted from
    >the available bandwidth.
    >Igi.

    I did not configure any QoS related commands, so I assume it is not
    important for me.
    Thanks
    Cheers

    Stefan Heinrich, Oct 8, 2004