    Messages:
    2
    Hey, I have a compaq presario, that is running Windows ME. When i tried to install critical updates, the computer restarted after downloading and installing them. When it came back on, however, it came up with a message saying, "Error Loading Explorer.exe/ You must reinstall Windows." Then i clicked on OK, and a message came up saying "a required DLL file: c:\windows\system\shlwapi.dll was not found." If I try to click on that, nothing happens. I've tried to look for a shlwapi.dll file, but could not find an appropriate one. After i tried copying one from a floppy, that i got off the internet of another comp, (I copied it into c:\windows\system) i didn't get the Error message anymore, instead i got a new message saying, "Shell32.dll file is linked to missing export shlwapi.dll," or i think that's what it said, something to that effect anyway. So, i deleted the shlwapi.dll file and now i am getting the old message again. I don't think i have a Windows ME Install Disk (It is a legit copy, there is a registration key on the bottom of the laptop.) Also, i have tried run a system restore using the scanreg/restore command in DOS mode using a Windows ME boot disk. So, please!!!!!! if anyone can help me, i would greatly appreciate it.
    againstme18, Jul 25, 2006

  2. againstme18

    againstme18

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    I have copied a version of shlwapi.dll from another computer with Windows ME on it. Now, however, when i log on, it doesn't show the error message, it just goes to a blank desktop. What is going on now?
    againstme18, Jul 25, 2006

  3. againstme18

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try copying that file to the Windows\System32 folder in place of Windows\System. You know that Windows ME was a dog, right? You would be better off using Win 2000 or Win XP.

    You probably have to make a boot disc at this point, since you are getting a blank screen. Good luck.
    bigal, Jul 26, 2006