    Can anyone recommend a reliable US supplier who will ship
    items, such as a digital camera, to New Zealand.
    Thanks.

    Nick Withers, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Nick Withers

    goneill Guest

    I import quite a few small items to NZ and cheapest is US post ,I have only
    had
    one item go astray ,a small piece of electronics that was only of value to
    an
    instrument tech. It was insured .
    DHL and all the others charge HUGE money for small items .
    gary

    goneill, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Nick Withers

    Daniel Guest

    Have you ever imported larger items? (such as a PC)

    How did that go?

    Daniel, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Nick Withers

    impossible Guest

    Have a look here:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/international.asp

    Consider this a reference, not a recommendation -- I've never dealt with
    them myself. But they're a big outfit that's been around for a while, and
    the fact that they do interantional shipping at all is unusual enough to
    make it worth checking out.

    impossible, Dec 9, 2004
  5. In article <RZVtd.23937$>,
    says...
    > Can anyone recommend a reliable US supplier who will ship
    > items, such as a digital camera, to New Zealand.
    > Thanks.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    Not the very cheapest, but they have an absolutely impeccable reputation
    for good and honest dealing.

    http://www.cameta.com/
    Also have a good reputation a.f.a.i.k. - and apparently they do very
    good deals.

    BTW I really don't know if it's still worth it. Prices in NZ seem to
    have come down considerably, and considering the high cost of shipping
    and the fact that you will likely have to pay GST as things go through
    customs ... well, you do the maths :) Having said that, I saved $600 a
    couple of years back by buying my digital camera in Canada ...

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Nick Withers

    John Guest

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:41:58 +1300, Nick Withers wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a reliable US supplier who will ship
    > items, such as a digital camera, to New Zealand.
    > Thanks.

    http://www.cameras.com/

    Had good service from this firm - recently purchased a Pantone
    Colorvision Spyder only 5 working days from order to delivery.

    Regards,
    John

    John, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Nick Withers

    JedMeister Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <RZVtd.23937$>,
    > says...
    >> Can anyone recommend a reliable US supplier who will ship
    >> items, such as a digital camera, to New Zealand.
    >> Thanks.

    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    > Not the very cheapest, but they have an absolutely impeccable reputation
    > for good and honest dealing.
    >
    > http://www.cameta.com/
    > Also have a good reputation a.f.a.i.k. - and apparently they do very
    > good deals.
    >
    > BTW I really don't know if it's still worth it. Prices in NZ seem to
    > have come down considerably, and considering the high cost of shipping
    > and the fact that you will likely have to pay GST as things go through
    > customs ... well, you do the maths :) Having said that, I saved $600 a
    > couple of years back by buying my digital camera in Canada ...
    >
    > h.t.h. -Peter

    NZ prices are sky high, for certain items. e.g, Navman icn635 , here in NZ
    costs a whopping $1990. In the US, you can purchase this for 845NZD. If you
    can find a retailer willing to ship - you will need to buy NZ maps as well,
    but still a great bargain.

    Also, check the canon eos 20d , with the canon 17-85 lens. Here in NZ , I
    was quoted around 4100nzd. From the US, 2800NZD, + 100NZD for shipping,
    +12.5%gst, the total is still around $900 cheaper. (from bhphoto).

    JedMeister, Dec 10, 2004
  8. Nick Withers

    DonB Guest

    I have looked at this and don't think it's worth it. By the time you
    add gst and shipping, possibly insurance, you probably pay more.
    The parallel imports are very well priced here, and less risk. Most I
    know have bought from these, and noone I know has had any trouble,
    though now doubt there will be horror stories....but just being alive
    is a risk.
    DonB

    DonB, Dec 10, 2004
  9. Nick Withers

    Bob McLellan Guest

    I second that. However some suppliers can't get their heads around using
    another shipping channel.

    Bob McLellan, Dec 10, 2004
  10. Nick Withers

    Nick Withers Guest

    Thanks,
    I now have three suppliers that seem reliable.
    Now to decide on a camera, I rather like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20
    .....Any comments?

    Nick Withers, Dec 10, 2004
  11. Nick Withers

    John Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:12:52 +1300, Nick Withers wrote:

    > Thanks,
    > I now have three suppliers that seem reliable.
    > Now to decide on a camera, I rather like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20
    > ....Any comments?

    I've owned the Panasonic FZ10 for nearly a year and I'm pleased with
    the camera, no problems, and have had some nice results especially
    with hand held panorama shots.

    If I was in the market for a new camera I would check out:
    http://www.softwareshop.co.nz/

    Then if price is an issue:
    http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/
    http://www.etown.co.nz/

    The only time I use a supplier from the US is when the cost is a great
    deal cheaper, non availability of the item in NZ, or if the item had
    an international warranty.

    Regards,
    John

    John, Dec 10, 2004
  12. In article <lMdud.24145$>,
    says...
    > Thanks,
    > I now have three suppliers that seem reliable.
    > Now to decide on a camera, I rather like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20
    > ....Any comments?

    Yupp. I was originally very keen on a Leica/Panasonic (having owned a
    Leica for many years). Then I read the reviews and I found that there
    was a raging war of words on about the Panasonic electronics generating
    an undue amount of 'digital noise'.
    (I.e. pixels that show up light and colour where they shouldn't).

    That put me off ... I came to the conclusion that Canon and Olympus were
    offering by far the best value for money for _my_ needs (knowledgeable
    amateur photographer). Minolta and Nikon are good, but seem relatively
    overpriced when compared to the other two brands. I believe some of the
    Fuji cameras have also had very good reviews, and are very much at the
    cheaper end of the market.

    Maybe Panasonic have got their shit together. Read the reviews on sites
    like 'Steves Digicams' very very carefully before you buy --- if you'll
    only ever take pics in bright daylight noise may not be a problem for
    you whatsoever. On the upside, the Leica is reputedly the fastest
    Digicam on the market and that would presumably also apply to the
    Panasonic (fastest meaning time lag between shots, and time lag between
    pressing the button and the shutter releasing).

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 10, 2004
  13. Nick Withers

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:59:43 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Yupp. I was originally very keen on a Leica/Panasonic (having owned a
    > Leica for many years). Then I read the reviews and I found that there
    > was a raging war of words on about the Panasonic electronics generating
    > an undue amount of 'digital noise'.
    > (I.e. pixels that show up light and colour where they shouldn't).

    I have the FZ10, and I do not find the noise to be the problem it is
    sometimes made out to be unless you are taking pictures at night without a
    flash.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense." -- Mark A. Overby

    Note: All my comments are copyright 11/12/2004 12:22:35 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 10, 2004
  14. Nick Withers

    geoffm Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On the upside, the Leica is reputedly the fastest
    >Digicam on the market and that would presumably also apply to the
    >Panasonic (fastest meaning time lag between shots, and time lag between
    >pressing the button and the shutter releasing).

    This shutter lag is my pet hate about our shiney new Olympus C770
    camnera. makes takign photos of moving targets (like kids...) very
    difficult. Other than that it is ok - 10x opti zoom is nice, but you
    pay a premium for it. The old Kodak DC215 was a bit easier to use.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Dec 11, 2004
  15. Nick Withers

    Nick Withers Guest