Shipping question?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by turtill@hotmail.com, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Jun 24, 2006

  2. Ghostrider Guest

    wrote:
    > In the early '60's how long would it take a freighter to sail from
    > India to the UK. Anyone know please?
    > pete
    > --
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    A tramp steamer moving at around 8 knots...perhaps 2 months
    or thereabouts. More if it make stops along the way.

    Ghostrider, Jun 24, 2006

  3. Frosty Guest

    On or about Sat, 24 Jun 2006 01:25:00 +0100, an entity identified as
    proudly proclaimed:

    >In the early '60's how long would it take a freighter to sail from
    >India to the UK. Anyone know please?
    >pete

    Wasn't India part of the U.K.?

    --

    Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!

    Frosty, Jun 24, 2006
  4. Ishmale Guest

    No no no.
    I was a crewmember of a British vessel in the early '60s (note properly
    placed apostrophe). I have forgotten the exact number of days, but not
    over a fortnight. Suez canal route.

    Ishmale, Jun 24, 2006
  5. °Mike° Guest

    In message <>,
    Ghostrider took 10 lines to impart the following:

    > wrote:
    >> In the early '60's how long would it take a freighter to sail from
    >> India to the UK. Anyone know please?
    >> pete

    <snip signature>

    >A tramp steamer moving at around 8 knots...perhaps 2 months
    >or thereabouts. More if it make stops along the way.

    Bzzzzt! Methinks you are travelling the wrong route, and
    in the wrong era. Ever heard of the Suez Canal, and of
    diesel compression-ignition?
    --
    Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes!

    °Mike°, Jun 24, 2006
  6. °Mike° Guest

    In message <>,
    Frosty took 12 lines to impart the following:

    >On or about Sat, 24 Jun 2006 01:25:00 +0100, an entity identified as
    > proudly proclaimed:
    >
    >>In the early '60's how long would it take a freighter to sail from
    >>India to the UK. Anyone know please?
    >>pete

    >Wasn't India part of the U.K.?

    No it never was. It *was* part of the British Empire -- Britain and
    India severed political ties in 1947,
    --
    Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes!

    °Mike°, Jun 24, 2006
  7. °Mike° Guest

    In message <>,
    took 5 lines to impart the following:

    >In the early '60's how long would it take a freighter to sail from
    >India to the UK. Anyone know please?
    >pete

    That's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, if
    you want a precise answer (which I don't have).
    --
    Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes!

    °Mike°, Jun 24, 2006
  8. Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:28:59 -0400, Ishmale <>
    wrote:

    >No no no.
    >I was a crewmember of a British vessel in the early '60s (note properly
    >placed apostrophe). I have forgotten the exact number of days, but not
    >over a fortnight. Suez canal route.

    I have just spoken to an old sailor and he says 3 weeks to get from
    India via Suez to the UK providing no stops en route. I think this is
    a little too long and your post does seem more realistic.
    pete