    I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Obviously computer equipment since this is nz.comp. What was the store?

    Very few will even accept international orders, and those that do almost
    never offer USPS shipping. I've priced purchasing many items online, and
    often the shipping cost via courier (and even USPS at times), is more
    than the cost of the item itself. Overall, it is still sometimes cheaper
    to pay the postage plus GST than it is to buy here, particularly if you
    are looking for older components or uncommon items.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    EMB Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    > are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    > difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    The US postal service is basically shit - most suppliers won't use it
    for domestic freight let alone international. I've had stuff posted
    from the US that has taken 3 weeks to get out of the US via *Airmail*
    and even longer hanging around waiting for a boat if coming by sea.

    UPS (I think) used to do some sort of an "Air Consolidated Cargo"
    shipping that was reasonably priced and normally took about 10 days door
    to door.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Oct 1, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    Mutlley Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    >Just placed an order this week from a company that charges quite cheap
    >prices for stuff from the US. Their prices in NZ$ are practically the
    >same as US retail for the same product.
    >
    >They said the big cost in getting stuff here at a reasonable price from
    >the States is in freight. Sending it by surface mail is a lot cheaper
    >than some of the other freight costs that can be charged, but it takes a
    >lot longer for the customer, also they order say 10 at a time a time and
    >this makes it a lot cheaper.
    >
    >I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    >are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    >difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    Freight is one of the main killers in this part of the world now.
    Even from Oz it's getting expensive. With software these days at
    least allot of it can be downloaded saving on shipping but physical
    items still expensive

    Mutlley, Oct 1, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    Daniel Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Just placed an order this week from a company that charges quite cheap
    > prices for stuff from the US. Their prices in NZ$ are practically the
    > same as US retail for the same product.

    Are you able to tell us the site please? - Thanks.

    Daniel, Oct 1, 2004
  6. Patrick Dunford

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    >> are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    >> difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    > The US postal service is basically shit - most suppliers won't use it
    > for domestic freight let alone international. I've had stuff posted
    > from the US that has taken 3 weeks to get out of the US via *Airmail*
    > and even longer hanging around waiting for a boat if coming by sea.
    >
    > UPS (I think) used to do some sort of an "Air Consolidated Cargo"
    > shipping that was reasonably priced and normally took about 10 days door
    > to door.

    Apparently they don't send stuff by sea anymore, they send it by air but
    it sit's in a cue untill there is space left over from their "Air Mail"
    stuff, basically it amounts to "Air Consolidated Cargo"

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 1, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    >> are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    >> difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    > The US postal service is basically shit - most suppliers won't use it
    > for domestic freight let alone international. I've had stuff posted
    > from the US that has taken 3 weeks to get out of the US via *Airmail*
    > and even longer hanging around waiting for a boat if coming by sea.
    >
    > UPS (I think) used to do some sort of an "Air Consolidated Cargo"
    > shipping that was reasonably priced and normally took about 10 days door
    > to door.

    Actually Courier Post in NZ arn't that great - I had a courier package
    turn up in London that I had addressed to Arkansas, USA. It took about
    3 months to find it's way to the right address.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 1, 2004
  8. If you want the product just pay the freight .Is it an issue ?

    John Wesley Hardin, Oct 1, 2004
  9. Patrick Dunford

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:26:56 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    >> are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    >> difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    >The US postal service is basically shit - most suppliers won't use it
    >for domestic freight let alone international. I've had stuff posted
    >from the US that has taken 3 weeks to get out of the US via *Airmail*
    >and even longer hanging around waiting for a boat if coming by sea.
    >
    >UPS (I think) used to do some sort of an "Air Consolidated Cargo"
    >shipping that was reasonably priced and normally took about 10 days door
    >to door.

    I had a US order turn up in three days.

    Cheers.

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 1, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:57:56 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >Just placed an order this week from a company that charges quite cheap
    >prices for stuff from the US. Their prices in NZ$ are practically the
    >same as US retail for the same product.
    >
    >They said the big cost in getting stuff here at a reasonable price from
    >the States is in freight. Sending it by surface mail is a lot cheaper
    >than some of the other freight costs that can be charged, but it takes a
    >lot longer for the customer, also they order say 10 at a time a time and
    >this makes it a lot cheaper.
    >
    >I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    >are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    >difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    Figure on it roughly doubling the cost.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 1, 2004
  11. Patrick Dunford

    John B Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:26:56 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >>> I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices
    >>> that are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of
    >>> the difference is in freight costs for different methods of
    >>> delivery.

    >> The US postal service is basically shit - most suppliers won't use it
    >> for domestic freight let alone international. I've had stuff posted
    >> from the US that has taken 3 weeks to get out of the US via *Airmail*
    >> and even longer hanging around waiting for a boat if coming by sea.
    >>
    >> UPS (I think) used to do some sort of an "Air Consolidated Cargo"
    >> shipping that was reasonably priced and normally took about 10 days
    >> door to door.
    >>

    > I had a US order turn up in three days.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Cliff

    Most of mine turn up in 5 - 7 days. I buy books mainly from Amazon. Freight
    costs as much as a book but generally it still works out cheaper and you don't
    have to wait for weeks or months.

    Got a set of valves, for a tube amp, from UK and that took just 3 days.

    --
    John B

    John B, Oct 1, 2004
  12. Patrick Dunford

    Geronimo! Guest

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:28:35 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:26:56 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >>> I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    >>> are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    >>> difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    >>The US postal service is basically shit - most suppliers won't use it
    >>for domestic freight let alone international. I've had stuff posted
    >>from the US that has taken 3 weeks to get out of the US via *Airmail*
    >>and even longer hanging around waiting for a boat if coming by sea.

    I have has US Postal arrive here in 4 days..

    FACT..

    Geronimo!, Oct 1, 2004
  13. On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:57:56 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >Just placed an order this week from a company that charges quite cheap
    >prices for stuff from the US. Their prices in NZ$ are practically the
    >same as US retail for the same product.
    >
    >They said the big cost in getting stuff here at a reasonable price from
    >the States is in freight. Sending it by surface mail is a lot cheaper
    >than some of the other freight costs that can be charged, but it takes a
    >lot longer for the customer, also they order say 10 at a time a time and
    >this makes it a lot cheaper.
    >
    >I see a lot of stuff from time to time about the different prices that
    >are charged for goods sent from the US. I wonder how much of the
    >difference is in freight costs for different methods of delivery.

    If it is a relatively small item (including its packaging), see if
    they will ship it via a USPS "Global Priority Flat Rate Envelope":

    http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/p...isplay_products/productDetail.jsp?OID=1003581

    This sort of packet is good for anything that will fit inside the
    standard cardboard packet provided, for US$10 (or at least it was
    US$10 last time I did this, which was probably about 2.5 years ago).
    I was getting 3-4 paperbacks in each packet, with delivery times
    varying from 3 days (rare) to 2 weeks (rare) and typically 7-11 days,
    from Palo Alto, California. Make sure that whatever packaging is
    inside is good enough though - and waterproof. I often got packets
    that had been wet on the outside, but my bookshop always used a sealed
    plastic bag inside. Often the retail packages for things are mostly
    empty - ask, and see if the company are willing to open the package
    and repack it into a GP packet. They can often just fold up the
    outside cardboard box so that you still get it with the serial number
    that might be on it and the instructions and so on, and throw away all
    the rest of the old packaging. Some US companies that ship overseas
    know all about how to do this - it is by far the cheapest option that
    goes fast by air for anything that will fit in the packet.

    Surface mail sometimes does get sent by ship still. My understanding
    is that if they have spare space on an aircraft, surface mail fills
    the extra space, but if not, and a ship is available, it goes by ship.
    Ships take almost exactly 3 months to get here from the US (they
    travel a circular route around the Pacific to us), and are a very
    regular and reliable service. I get a monthly magazine by surface
    post and the issues arrive out of order all the time, with one
    typically getting on a ship and arriving 2 months after the next
    month's issue has already arrived. About 9 of the 12 issues per year
    seem to arrive by air, and even the air ones can arrive after a later
    month has already arrived.

    If you are going to pay for a courier, expect it to cost at least
    US$50, and probably more. Unless the package is absolutely tiny, if
    the courier charge quoted is less than US$40, there is probably
    something wrong with it - ask carefully.

    So if you going to be paying that much for a courier, buy lots at once
    and it will only cost you another US$10 for the rest at the same time.
    Books especially work out well if you are buy 4 or more large computer
    books at once. Make sure you can track the parcel on a web page, as
    you need to know when it gets to NZ. The US companies will usually
    get it to NZ OK, but the NZ courier companies are often pretty bad
    about their part of getting things to you - they ring once when you
    are out (or not even once), and then forget about the parcel for a
    week. If you are tracking the parcel on the web site, you can ring
    them when it arrives in NZ, and give them your credit card details
    before they need them to pay the GST. It is better to get in first,
    otherwise they will post out a form to fill in, which wastes days.
    Their last trick is that they will then deliver a signature required
    parcel and sign for it themselves and just leave it on the doorstep to
    get stolen. So when you ring them, it is best to divert the package
    to where you will actually be that day (at work?), or where someone
    will be home to sign for it.

    Watch out for "ghost" tracking numbers. I had several packages
    supposedly shipped by Amazon.com where the tracking number appeared on
    the web sites (Amazon and the courier), but the package never moved
    from the first "picked up" status. Then the package arrived (late!)
    under a completely different tracking number that the courier web site
    said did not exist, but on phoning the local agents they could find
    it. It turned out that Amazon had actually shipped the package from a
    completely different warehouse from the original tracking number in
    each of these cases. And then there was the "ghost" package that
    never arrived - it had a ghost tracking number, and Amazon swore they
    had shipped it under a different number, but it never arrived and the
    courier company could not find it under either number. Amazon finally
    reshipped it after 3 months of to-ing and fro-ing.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 1, 2004
  14. > I have has US Postal arrive here in 4 days..
    > FACT..

    Yeah, like your FACT about Firefox v1 bug ?

    Increase the meds woger.

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Oct 1, 2004
  15. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 01 Oct 2004
    13:08:07 +1200, The Other Guy <> says...
    > Obviously computer equipment since this is nz.comp. What was the store?

    It was audio gear, but we often hear this story about how computer gear
    is at "ripoff" prices locally compared to US online stores.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  16. In article <ul47d.6093$> in nz.comp on Fri, 01
    Oct 2004 15:40:26 +1200, Daniel <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > Just placed an order this week from a company that charges quite cheap
    > > prices for stuff from the US. Their prices in NZ$ are practically the
    > > same as US retail for the same product.
    > >

    > Are you able to tell us the site please? - Thanks.

    Not for computer gear, although this particular piece of audio equipment
    will be attached to a computer.

    It was that they were able to import this stuff from the US at
    practically the same number of NZ$ as it retailed for in the US.

    And if you're still interested - see
    http://www.jensen-transformers.com/dist.html#international
    - they do make Isomaxes for audio and also video use. We're using one for
    computerised recording to avoid earth loops.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  17. It seems like Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:57:56 +1200 was when Patrick Dunford
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >They said the big cost in getting stuff here at a reasonable price from
    >the States is in freight. Sending it by surface mail is a lot cheaper
    >than some of the other freight costs that can be charged, but it takes a
    >lot longer for the customer, also they order say 10 at a time a time and
    >this makes it a lot cheaper.

    Man, I came across this a while back, when looking at subwoofers on
    Ebay. Really cheap prices, but boy, do they hit you with shipping
    fees. Subs for $70US, and shipping fees of $150US! I know subs are
    heavy and all, but even so, if it costs $70NZ to send a parcel from NZ
    to the USA, why does it cost $70US to send the same parcel from the
    USA to NZ?

    In the end, I found it cheaper to buy goods here in NZ, and let
    someone else take care of freight.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 1, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 02 Oct 2004 09:08:06 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    <> says...
    > It seems like Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:57:56 +1200 was when Patrick Dunford
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    > >They said the big cost in getting stuff here at a reasonable price from
    > >the States is in freight. Sending it by surface mail is a lot cheaper
    > >than some of the other freight costs that can be charged, but it takes a
    > >lot longer for the customer, also they order say 10 at a time a time and
    > >this makes it a lot cheaper.

    > Man, I came across this a while back, when looking at subwoofers on
    > Ebay. Really cheap prices, but boy, do they hit you with shipping
    > fees. Subs for $70US, and shipping fees of $150US! I know subs are
    > heavy and all, but even so, if it costs $70NZ to send a parcel from NZ
    > to the USA, why does it cost $70US to send the same parcel from the
    > USA to NZ?

    I guess distance, volumes. Why it is so cheap to freight stuff from China
    to here as so much stuff is these days, must be down to volumes.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  19. Patrick Dunford

    Harry Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > It seems like Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:57:56 +1200 was when Patrick Dunford
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>They said the big cost in getting stuff here at a reasonable price from
    >>the States is in freight. Sending it by surface mail is a lot cheaper
    >>than some of the other freight costs that can be charged, but it takes a
    >>lot longer for the customer, also they order say 10 at a time a time and
    >>this makes it a lot cheaper.

    > Man, I came across this a while back, when looking at subwoofers on
    > Ebay. Really cheap prices, but boy, do they hit you with shipping
    > fees. Subs for $70US, and shipping fees of $150US! I know subs are
    > heavy and all, but even so, if it costs $70NZ to send a parcel from NZ
    > to the USA, why does it cost $70US to send the same parcel from the
    > USA to NZ?

    Because whereas you might earn $NZ40,000 in NZ you would earn $US40,000
    for the same job in the USA (if not more).

    And if you still don't understand, then I'll point out that costs of
    services are closely related to the cost of labor.

    Harry, Oct 1, 2004
  20. It seems like Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:47:36 +1200 was when Harry
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Because whereas you might earn $NZ40,000 in NZ you would earn $US40,000
    >for the same job in the USA (if not more).

    Yeah, so I've seen from salary surveys from USA.

    >And if you still don't understand, then I'll point out that costs of
    >services are closely related to the cost of labor.

    Now, wouldn't it be cheaper to like send goods from Mexico where the
    cost of labour is cheaper?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.