    Any suggestions.

    Thanks
    Nicholas

    Nicholas Lee, Oct 5, 2006

  2. Nicholas Lee

    XPD Guest

    "Nicholas Lee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dreamhost have upgraded their basic hosting to 200Gb and I'm using the
    > oppuntity to use the storage to backup my large photo fileset.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a good place to get some decent bandwidth in
    > Auckland, using adsl will take a week. Once its up I can just use
    > rsync.
    >
    > I've thought about CafeNet in the CBD or a Telecom Wifi hotspot at one
    > of the libraries. However, the formal requires the hassle of going
    > into town, with coverage not looking the greatest, and I'm not sure the
    > later will be stable or quick. Telecom talk about being up to 50 times
    > faster than dialup.

    Pop into an ISP and offer them a few bux to upload it via their NOC :p

    XPD, Oct 5, 2006

  3. Nicholas Lee

    Vista Guest

    > Dreamhost have upgraded their basic hosting to 200Gb and I'm using the
    > oppuntity to use the storage to backup my large photo fileset.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a good place to get some decent bandwidth in
    > Auckland, using adsl will take a week. Once its up I can just use
    > rsync.
    >
    > I've thought about CafeNet in the CBD or a Telecom Wifi hotspot at one
    > of the libraries. However, the formal requires the hassle of going
    > into town, with coverage not looking the greatest, and I'm not sure the
    > later will be stable or quick. Telecom talk about being up to 50 times
    > faster than dialup.
    >
    > Any suggestions.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Nicholas

    How can they give their basic users 200GB of diskspace, as that is the
    common size of an actual harddrive. I think there is some major overselling
    going on and I wonder what would happen if everyone who hosts with them
    decided to use all that diskspace.

    Sending that sort of traffic over the internet from NZ would be very
    expensive. I am not sure what the wholesale price of a GB of traffic is, but
    if it is about $2 per GB, it would cost the ISP about $400 to transfer 200GB

    Vista, Oct 5, 2006
  4. Nicholas Lee

    Nicholas Lee Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > How can they give their basic users 200GB of diskspace, as that is the
    > common size of an actual harddrive. I think there is some major overselling
    > going on and I wonder what would happen if everyone who hosts with them
    > decided to use all that diskspace.

    ATA based SAN/NAS maybe? I imagine they have at least 500TB of
    storage.

    They certain do oversell:
    http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/05/18/the-truth-about-overselling/

    You could compare DH at about $1/GB/year or 8.5c/GBM to Amazon S3 who
    are sell at about 15c/GBM+traffic. Amazon though price on usage,
    whereas if you only use 20GB with DH you are paying 42c/GBM.

    Still DH have been in business for 9 years, so they are obviously
    managing things well.

    > Sending that sort of traffic over the internet from NZ would be very
    > expensive. I am not sure what the wholesale price of a GB of traffic is, but
    > if it is about $2 per GB, it would cost the ISP about $400 to transfer 200GB

    I think the standard rate is $10 per 5GB on ADSL. $100 for 200Gb.

    Anyway Its unlikely you'd move that 200GB all the time. Maybe just
    when you need to restore from a real big loss. Being able to save the
    80Gb of personal data somewhere online is very useful.

    Nicholas

    Nicholas Lee, Oct 5, 2006
  5. Nicholas Lee

    mark Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in news:1160012142.919382@ftpsrv1:

    > "Nicholas Lee" <> wrote in message
    >> Dreamhost have upgraded their basic hosting to 200Gb and I'm using
    >> the oppuntity to use the storage to backup my large photo fileset.
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest a good place to get some decent bandwidth in
    >> Auckland, using adsl will take a week. Once its up I can just use
    >> rsync.
    >>
    >> I've thought about CafeNet in the CBD or a Telecom Wifi hotspot at
    >> one of the libraries. However, the formal requires the hassle of
    >> going into town, with coverage not looking the greatest, and I'm not
    >> sure the later will be stable or quick. Telecom talk about being up
    >> to 50 times faster than dialup.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions.
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >> Nicholas
    >>

    > How can they give their basic users 200GB of diskspace, as that is the
    > common size of an actual harddrive. I think there is some major
    > overselling going on and I wonder what would happen if everyone who
    > hosts with them decided to use all that diskspace.
    >
    > Sending that sort of traffic over the internet from NZ would be very
    > expensive. I am not sure what the wholesale price of a GB of traffic
    > is, but if it is about $2 per GB, it would cost the ISP about $400 to
    > transfer 200GB

    IIRC, Telecom charge ISP's about 50c/GB. I think that was spelt out in a
    ComputerWorld article.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    mark, Oct 5, 2006
  6. Nicholas Lee

    Mark C Guest

    mark <> wrote in

    > "Vista" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Sending that sort of traffic over the internet from NZ would be
    >> very expensive. I am not sure what the wholesale price of a GB
    >> of traffic is, but if it is about $2 per GB, it would cost the
    >> ISP about $400 to transfer 200GB

    > IIRC, Telecom charge ISP's about 50c/GB. I think that was spelt
    > out in a ComputerWorld article.

    That might be 50c/GB for national backhaul traffic between a UBS
    customer and the ISP, and only if the aggregate traffic for the ISP
    exceeds 4GB/user.

    I read that international traffic costs an ISP between 25c/GB and
    $2.00/GB (but of course, not sold per GB, it is sold per mbps):

    http://10layers.com/2006/10/full-speed-adsl-part-3-the-isp/

    On the other hand, given that the ISP's bandwidth is already paid
    for, you could argue that data sent during a non-busy period is in
    effect free!

    Mark

    Mark C, Oct 6, 2006
  7. Nicholas Lee

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Mark C wrote:

    > On the other hand, given that the ISP's bandwidth is already paid
    > for, you could argue that data sent during a non-busy period is in
    > effect free!

    10GB = $348, apparently...

    Stu Fleming, Oct 6, 2006
  8. Nicholas Lee

    David Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:
    > Mark C wrote:
    >
    >> On the other hand, given that the ISP's bandwidth is already paid for,
    >> you could argue that data sent during a non-busy period is in effect
    >> free!

    > 10GB = $348, apparently...

    And xtra sell (and deliver) 10GB a month for a lot less?

    David, Oct 6, 2006