Sherlock Holmes DVD question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by James Poll, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. James Poll

    James Poll Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm sure that this has been asked many times before, but since I haven't
    been frequenting this NG as often as I used to, I'll just ask it again!
    :)

    Does anyone know how the MPI Region 1 DVDs of "The Adventures of
    Sherlock Holmes" are? I haven't been able to find any really good
    reviews or conclusive documentation about the technical quality of these
    releases.

    I'd really like to buy them for my collection, but somehow I just get
    this feeling that they aren't the best transfers...

    Does anyone out there have these DVDs, and if so how is the picture and
    sound quality? (Or can anyone point me to some good reviews?)

    Thanks in advance,
    JP

    James Poll, Sep 22, 2003

  2. James Poll wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm sure that this has been asked many times before, but since I haven't
    > been frequenting this NG as often as I used to, I'll just ask it again!
    > :)
    >
    > Does anyone know how the MPI Region 1 DVDs of "The Adventures of
    > Sherlock Holmes" are? I haven't been able to find any really good
    > reviews or conclusive documentation about the technical quality of these
    > releases.
    >
    > I'd really like to buy them for my collection, but somehow I just get
    > this feeling that they aren't the best transfers...
    >
    > Does anyone out there have these DVDs, and if so how is the picture and
    > sound quality? (Or can anyone point me to some good reviews?)

    They're the best you're going to get, honestly. The show was filmed on
    middling-quality 16mm and that shows. So they aren't up to the Lord of
    the Rings standard, but they couldn't look better even if you were
    watching the originals projected onto a screen.

    Just buy them, you'll be glad you did. It's such a great series (or
    series of series). Blue Carbuncle is probably the best episode.

    Just yesterday volume 4 of Return of Sherlock Holmes came in the mail
    and made my hard day at work not seem so bad. :)

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 22, 2003

  3. James Poll

    Steve Hanson Guest

    James Poll wrote in
    <>:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm sure that this has been asked many times before, but since I haven't
    >been frequenting this NG as often as I used to, I'll just ask it again!
    >:)
    >
    >Does anyone know how the MPI Region 1 DVDs of "The Adventures of
    >Sherlock Holmes" are? I haven't been able to find any really good
    >reviews or conclusive documentation about the technical quality of these
    >releases.

    The transfer is mediocre. There are severe audio problems on the
    first disc that make it almost unwatchable/unlistenable. I mean
    *severe*--it's like listening to the episode while underwater. If
    memory serves this audio problem runs through at least two episodes.
    A travesty.

    This landmark series called for a first class reconstruction and what
    it got was MPI's cheapie, ****-you transfer. Extras are not even
    worth mentioning and overall production value is in the basement (for
    the first series they use screen backgrounds from Brett's final years
    when he was severely bloated, couldn't be a more disrespectful and
    disorienting juxtaposition with the actual episodes.) I could put
    together a better package than this myself. It's absolutely
    disgraceful.

    Only seriously consider buying this if you are a die-hard fan of the
    series. Someone has to show MPI that quality matters.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 22, 2003
  4. Steve Hanson wrote:
    > The transfer is mediocre. There are severe audio problems on the
    > first disc that make it almost unwatchable/unlistenable. I mean
    > *severe*--it's like listening to the episode while underwater. If
    > memory serves this audio problem runs through at least two episodes.
    > A travesty.

    Oh come on, they're not that bad. BTW, the audio problems must be
    related to your player, because they run fine on my Toshiba but I
    sometimes get audio problems on my Panasonic.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 23, 2003
  5. James Poll

    anthony Guest

    My copy of Return of Sherlock Holmes Vol 1 arrived here in Australia
    from the States today -- now I'll have to try to put it up for sale,
    as I've just spotted that on the Amazon site, buying the complete
    'Return' as a set is just about half the price of the individual
    volumes!

    anthony, Sep 23, 2003
  6. anthony wrote:

    > My copy of Return of Sherlock Holmes Vol 1 arrived here in Australia
    > from the States today -- now I'll have to try to put it up for sale,
    > as I've just spotted that on the Amazon site, buying the complete
    > 'Return' as a set is just about half the price of the individual
    > volumes!

    Actually it's about the same if you're buying from someplace cheap, like
    Deep Discount DVD.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 23, 2003
  7. James Poll

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote in <gxLbb.10323$>:

    >Steve Hanson wrote:
    >> The transfer is mediocre. There are severe audio problems on the
    >> first disc that make it almost unwatchable/unlistenable. I mean
    >> *severe*--it's like listening to the episode while underwater. If
    >> memory serves this audio problem runs through at least two episodes.
    >> A travesty.

    >Oh come on, they're not that bad. BTW, the audio problems must be
    >related to your player, because they run fine on my Toshiba but I
    >sometimes get audio problems on my Panasonic.

    I doubt the audio is player related. People are far too forgiving of
    this DVD's condition. Some of the best episodes from the first season
    are almost ruined by it. I'd call that severe. And even without the
    audio MPI really dropped the ball on this set. Could have been so
    much more, but who cares when fanboys will gladly buy it anyway?
    That's why they put in so little effort and why I judge it so harshly.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 23, 2003
  8. James Poll

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote in <4TWbb.28698$>:

    >anthony wrote:
    >
    >> My copy of Return of Sherlock Holmes Vol 1 arrived here in Australia
    >> from the States today -- now I'll have to try to put it up for sale,
    >> as I've just spotted that on the Amazon site, buying the complete
    >> 'Return' as a set is just about half the price of the individual
    >> volumes!

    >Actually it's about the same if you're buying from someplace cheap, like
    >Deep Discount DVD.

    The box set is nicer looking if you're into that sort of thing. At
    least it features a picture of Jeremy Brett that does not make him
    look like a candidate for Weight Watchers.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 23, 2003
  9. James Poll

    Windbag1000 Guest

    >Could have been so
    >much more, but who cares when fanboys will gladly buy it anyway?
    >That's why they put in so little effort and why I judge it so harshly.

    Fanboys are the ones who care about tech specs more than just enjoying the
    programs (the latter are called mainstream viewers and there are millions more
    of them).

    Windbag1000, Sep 23, 2003
  10. Steve Hanson wrote:

    > Grand Inquisitor wrote in <4TWbb.28698$>:
    >

    >>anthony wrote:
    >>

    >>>My copy of Return of Sherlock Holmes Vol 1 arrived here in Australia
    >>>from the States today -- now I'll have to try to put it up for sale,
    >>>as I've just spotted that on the Amazon site, buying the complete
    >>>'Return' as a set is just about half the price of the individual
    >>>volumes!

    >>Actually it's about the same if you're buying from someplace cheap, like
    >>Deep Discount DVD.

    > The box set is nicer looking if you're into that sort of thing. At
    > least it features a picture of Jeremy Brett that does not make him
    > look like a candidate for Weight Watchers.

    Don't know wuttchamean. My copies of the individual Return of Sherlock
    Holmes DVDs (and the individual "Adventures" series that I got from the
    library before buying the box set) all use stills that are
    contemporaneous with the 80s, not the older episodes when Brett was on
    that medication that made him bloated (please don't make light of his
    sad condition at the time).

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 24, 2003
  11. Windbag1000 wrote:

    >>Could have been so
    >>much more, but who cares when fanboys will gladly buy it anyway?
    >>That's why they put in so little effort and why I judge it so harshly.

    > Fanboys are the ones who care about tech specs more than just enjoying the
    > programs (the latter are called mainstream viewers and there are millions more
    > of them).

    I really think Steve is exagerrating the problem. I don't know why he's
    calling the episodes unwatchable. All are completely watchable. As I
    said he needs to switch players or something.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 24, 2003
  12. James Poll

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote in <zT4cb.30298$>:

    >Steve Hanson wrote:
    >
    >> Grand Inquisitor wrote in <4TWbb.28698$>:

    >>>Actually it's about the same if you're buying from someplace cheap, like
    >>>Deep Discount DVD.

    >> The box set is nicer looking if you're into that sort of thing. At
    >> least it features a picture of Jeremy Brett that does not make him
    >> look like a candidate for Weight Watchers.

    >Don't know wuttchamean. My copies of the individual Return of Sherlock
    >Holmes DVDs (and the individual "Adventures" series that I got from the
    >library before buying the box set) all use stills that are
    >contemporaneous with the 80s, not the older episodes when Brett was on
    >that medication that made him bloated (please don't make light of his
    >sad condition at the time).

    I just didn't want to pass up another chance to slam the horrible menu
    screens. Seriously, did they have some teenager slap this together?
    Don't get sanctimonious with me about respect when I am complaining
    about this MPI botch-job misrepresenting his most famous work.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 24, 2003
  13. James Poll

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Windbag1000 wrote in <>:

    >>Could have been so
    >>much more, but who cares when fanboys will gladly buy it anyway?
    >>That's why they put in so little effort and why I judge it so harshly.

    >Fanboys are the ones who care about tech specs more than just enjoying the
    >programs (the latter are called mainstream viewers and there are millions more
    >of them).

    No, fanboys are so wrapped up in their fan worship that they dont'
    care about quality. Sci fi and anime fans are good examples--they are
    notorious for swalling any amount of drivel as long as it's part of
    their beloved genre.

    What "tech specs" have I been discussing, you stupid fucking retard?
    Name one. Saying that there are severe audio problems on the first
    DVD to the series (you have to be hearing impaired not to notice them
    and they were widely complained about in this newsgroup AT THE TIME)
    is not an infatuation with tech specs. No one is arguing that it
    isn't Dolby 5.1 or some stupid shit like that. Get your fucking head
    out of your ass unless your hope is to live up to your quite apt
    newsgroup handle.

    Also it is a crime that more special material wasn't brought in.
    There had to have been interviews with Brett over the years, surely,
    and is David Burke dead or what? How about interviews with people who
    made the series or Sherlock Holmes experts who could discuss its
    interpretation of the stories? How about the old Mystery intro
    segments with Vincent Price (a shame if they've been lost)? No,
    forget it, who could care about any of that stuff, just give it the
    public domain treatment and ship it out the door. At this point
    you're probably mumbling to yourself, "Who's David Burke?" but never
    mind that.

    You seem to have confused fanboy, which is a drooling idiot who adores
    his pet subject uncritically (i.e. you), with someone expecting a
    decent product in exchange for his hard-earned dinero. Stick to VHS
    if your standards are that low (ironically the VHS tapes have much
    better audio quality).

    Steve Hanson, Sep 24, 2003
  14. James Poll

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote in <5V4cb.30299$>:

    >Windbag1000 wrote:
    >
    >>>Could have been so
    >>>much more, but who cares when fanboys will gladly buy it anyway?
    >>>That's why they put in so little effort and why I judge it so harshly.

    >> Fanboys are the ones who care about tech specs more than just enjoying the
    >> programs (the latter are called mainstream viewers and there are millions more
    >> of them).

    >I really think Steve is exagerrating the problem. I don't know why he's
    >calling the episodes unwatchable. All are completely watchable. As I
    >said he needs to switch players or something.

    It has nothing to do with players, MPI acknowledged there were audio
    problems due to condition of the source. They said they couldn't be
    bothered to clean it up in a new version. There were email
    correspondences posted on this newsgroup at the time. Get a clue.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 24, 2003
  15. James Poll

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Steve Hanson wrote in <>:

    >Also it is a crime that more special material wasn't brought in.
    >There had to have been interviews with Brett over the years, surely,
    >and is David Burke dead or what? How about interviews with people who
    >made the series or Sherlock Holmes experts who could discuss its
    >interpretation of the stories?

    Some idiot will no doubt interject something idiotic at this point so
    let me clarify that yes I am aware of the Edward Hardwicke interview
    on the return collectoin that was shoved in but it is not even close
    to sufficient. And it was on the VHS tapes as well if memory serves
    so it still wasn't much of an effort.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 24, 2003
  16. James Poll

    Terry Guest

    Steve Hanson wrote:

    <purposeless venom snipped>

    You might have something interesting to say, but you couch it in such
    filthy language that I can't be bothered to read you any more.

    Bye.

    *plonk*

    Terry, Sep 24, 2003
  17. Steve Hanson wrote:

    > Grand Inquisitor wrote in <zT4cb.30298$>:
    >

    >>Steve Hanson wrote:

    >>>The box set is nicer looking if you're into that sort of thing. At
    >>>least it features a picture of Jeremy Brett that does not make him
    >>>look like a candidate for Weight Watchers.

    >>Don't know wuttchamean. My copies of the individual Return of Sherlock
    >>Holmes DVDs (and the individual "Adventures" series that I got from the
    >>library before buying the box set) all use stills that are
    >>contemporaneous with the 80s, not the older episodes when Brett was on
    >>that medication that made him bloated (please don't make light of his
    >>sad condition at the time).

    > I just didn't want to pass up another chance to slam the horrible menu
    > screens. Seriously, did they have some teenager slap this together?
    > Don't get sanctimonious with me about respect when I am complaining
    > about this MPI botch-job misrepresenting his most famous work.

    I really think you judge it too harshly. I have no audio problems of
    any kind on my Toshiba. The music did kind of warble during the opening
    and closing credits, but that's about it. Are you ready for the bad
    news? I heard the same problems on PBS and A&E. MPI did what they
    could, they're a small company, not Criterion. They don't have the
    resources to get the original prints and restore them or anything. If
    you want to be mad at somebody be mad at Granada for letting it happen.
    BTW, I will concede one point, the subtitles are terrible, they're
    wrong as often as they're right.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 24, 2003
  18. Steve Hanson wrote:
    > It has nothing to do with players, MPI acknowledged there were audio
    > problems due to condition of the source. They said they couldn't be
    > bothered to clean it up in a new version. There were email
    > correspondences posted on this newsgroup at the time. Get a clue.

    Calm down.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 24, 2003
  19. Steve Hanson wrote:
    > Also it is a crime that more special material wasn't brought in.
    > There had to have been interviews with Brett over the years, surely,
    > and is David Burke dead or what? How about interviews with people who
    > made the series or Sherlock Holmes experts who could discuss its
    > interpretation of the stories? How about the old Mystery intro
    > segments with Vincent Price (a shame if they've been lost)? No,
    > forget it, who could care about any of that stuff, just give it the
    > public domain treatment and ship it out the door. At this point
    > you're probably mumbling to yourself, "Who's David Burke?" but never
    > mind that.

    DarkMatter? Have you taken on a new alias? BTW, I don't fault them for
    lack of special material. I don't think there *was* much in the way of
    special material they could have put on there, they probably would have
    gone out and found it themselves, then paid for the rights to use it.
    And MPI is not Criterion. Besides, special material is just that,
    special. It shouldn't be expected all of the time.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 24, 2003
  20. James Poll

    Windbag1000 Guest

    >No, fanboys are so wrapped up in their fan worship that they dont'
    >care about quality. Sci fi and anime fans are good examples--they are
    >notorious for swalling any amount of drivel as long as it's part of
    >their beloved genre.

    Because they care about the content, right? Those are called mainstream
    viewers. Fanboys care about things above and beyond what normal viewers care
    about - like aspect ratios, 5.1, extras, pixelation, etc. People like you are
    fanboys. They buy it so they can complain about it, but you still buy it.

    >What "tech specs" have I been discussing, you stupid fucking retard?

    Easy, fanboy.

    >Also it is a crime that more special material wasn't brought in.
    >There had to have been interviews with Brett over the years, surely,
    >and is David Burke dead or what? How about interviews with people who
    >made the series or Sherlock Holmes experts who could discuss its
    >interpretation of the stories?

    Fanboy, hear you drivel.

    >How about the old Mystery intro
    >segments with Vincent Price (a shame if they've been lost)? No,
    >forget it, who could care about any of that stuff, just give it the
    >public domain treatment and ship it out the door. At this point
    >you're probably mumbling to yourself, "Who's David Burke?" but never
    >mind that.

    You're arguing my case better than I ever could.

    >You seem to have confused fanboy, which is a drooling idiot who adores
    >his pet subject uncritically (i.e. you), with someone expecting a
    >decent product in exchange for his hard-earned dinero. Stick to VHS
    >if your standards are that low (ironically the VHS tapes have much
    >better audio quality).

    Finished?

    Windbag1000, Sep 24, 2003