She boots -- but there ain't no desktop...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Rob Perkins, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    I'm fascinated by a problem I'm having starting just today.

    I've got an x64 system running, which with the exception of what I
    thought was an occasional glitch with VMWare (manifested only if it an
    World of Warcraft were running at the same time), was running beautifully.

    When those crashes occured the system would first crash out of World of
    Warcraft, which once closed, the mouse and keyboard would fail to
    respond, without a BSOD.

    This morning I came in to see that the machine had booted on time (I
    have the BIOS programmed to boot at 7 a.m., and Windows to autologin to
    my main account) but that it was frozen (no mouse, no keyboard) with the
    desktop displayed and one of those "send the crash report to MS"
    messages on screen. Apparantly the computer had BSOD-ed and recovered.

    When I reset to reboot, the machine BSOD-ed, but did not recover all the
    way to a frozen desktop.

    I rebooted again, and this time tried Safe Mode with the same results.

    The next reboot caused an CHKDSK to run, which found about three
    screenfulls of errors to fix, many in the WoW64 directory, some in the
    AMD64 directory. CHKDSK ran to completion, and the system rebooted.

    NOW, the system boots both to safe mode and to regular login, but
    Explorer doesn't start. I have a second plain-jane installation of x64
    on a smaller partition, which seems to book OK, so I suspect driver
    problems, but I'd love to see that crash log before deciding that.

    Any ideas?

    Rob
    Rob Perkins, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Rob Perkins wrote:

    > Any ideas?

    Oh... In connection with that I should point out that this is running on
    the following hardware:

    AMD 3800+ Athlon64
    ASROCK 939 DUAL-SATA2 Mobo
    4 GB RAM

    and I noticed that "Cool'n'Quiet" was turned on in the BIOS settings,
    but I don't seem to be having problems running in my secondary
    installation of Windows. Which I'm now glad I didn't blow away.

    The login on the broken installation boots all the way to displaying the
    background image, and playing the login sound. Then there is a lot of
    disk activity, but no evidence that Explorer has started, and
    ctrl-alt-del does *not* produce the process manager.

    Rob
    Rob Perkins, Apr 23, 2006

  3. from your description, I would do a repair install - there's way too much
    that's toasted.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 23, 2006
  4. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > from your description, I would do a repair install - there's way too much
    > that's toasted.

    I was afraid of that.

    Any way to read the crash logs before doing so? As I said before, I can
    get to the files, I just don't know where the info is stored.

    Rob
    Rob Perkins, Apr 23, 2006
  5. Sorry, not really my area.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Sorry, not really my area.

    OK.

    I'm betting on the open-source Bt848 drivers, at this point. Or the vid
    drivers, also not certified by NVidia. The "installing devices" portion
    of the repair install is taking a loooooooooong time to complete.

    Rob
    Rob Perkins, Apr 23, 2006
  7. A couple of obvious questions - are you overclocking? Have you run a
    comprehensive RAM test?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 23, 2006
  8. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > A couple of obvious questions - are you overclocking? Have you run a
    > comprehensive RAM test?

    Not overclocking, and no comprehensive RAM test right now.

    And the "Installing Devices" step on the repair install is in its third
    hour. I don't know how to bypass it.

    Rob
    Rob Perkins, Apr 23, 2006
  9. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Rob Perkins wrote:
    > Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    >
    >> A couple of obvious questions - are you overclocking? Have you run a
    >> comprehensive RAM test?
    >>

    > Not overclocking, and no comprehensive RAM test right now.
    >
    > And the "Installing Devices" step on the repair install is in its third
    > hour. I don't know how to bypass it.

    I suppose what I'll do is restart the repair install at this point, and
    refuse to install the detected but uncertified drivers... see if that
    helps things along at all...

    Rob
    Rob Perkins, Apr 23, 2006
  10. I would be very surprised if 'uncertified drivers' were your problem. These
    driver versions does not seem to be much different, the only real difference
    is that the certified drivers are written to the Hardware Compatibility
    list. This, is very expensive for the manufacturer. Of course, it means more
    testing is employed, but anything that isn't Beta - the manufacturer
    generally has a good idea of what works or not. (Says I!)

    I also have an Asrock board, (socket 754!) and this has been inordinately
    stable, yet I feel I am familiar with those symptoms, you describe. I would
    probably have preferred doing a 'system restore' before trying the 'repair
    install' - especially, perhaps, when boot problems are involved.

    The first thing I usually do when things, remotely like these, happen is to
    ask myself "what was the last thing you tinkered with?"

    nVidia drivers are usually very friendly to work with, but most other
    things, whenever I upgrade or install/re-install any drivers, I do a
    complete un-install first, and re-boot. If I have any suspicion of any kind
    of problem or issue, I do it with everything - including nVidia and then
    re-boot into a proper mode.

    It is a difficult thing to wipe away in a hurry and I can sympathise with
    your wish to see the logs. Perhaps you should consult the on-line 'Resource
    Kit' documentation, that has wide and far reaching discussions on 'logging'
    as I recall.

    Regards, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 24, 2006
  11. Tony:
    This tip will save you one reboot when installing new NVidia graphic drivers
    (no need to uninstall previous version).
    Google for a little program nvxp-all.exe
    Download the NVidia graphic driver.
    Unzip (or UnRAR) the NVidia driver (in exe format) to a folder.
    This is usually an option you get when you right click on the exe file.
    Copy nvxp-all.exe to that folder.
    Open a cmd window and run nvxp-all.
    This will uncompress the installation files and modify the installation
    files (don't know how).
    Update the NVidia driver now in the usual manner, that is, point to the inf
    file and let the program do the rest.
    The older driver is uninstalled first and the new driver is installed
    afterwards.
    One single reboot and you are ready to go.
    Have done this at least for one year with no problems.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 24, 2006
  12. Rob Perkins

    John Barnes Guest

    You should be able to read the crash report from your other small x64
    install. You can read the minidump if you don't have it turned off. Do a
    search on minidump and select the one you want.

    John Barnes, Apr 24, 2006
  13. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    John Barnes wrote:
    > You should be able to read the crash report from your other small x64
    > install. You can read the minidump if you don't have it turned off. Do a
    > search on minidump and select the one you want.

    And update: A memtestx86 test I ran for several hours (enough to get one
    good pass) reported no problems with the RAM.

    I actually managed to get a similar crash on the small x64 install, to
    the point where I got corrupted registry BSOD's and the thing just
    wouldn't boot at all.

    A last-known-good roll back restored the registry enough to boot into
    the small partition, which then showed me an upload dialog for the
    previous crash. So I was able to get MS to read the dump for me.

    It reported that a device driver had caused the crash. The name of the
    driver was "unknown driver"

    Since the only "unknown device" on the system was a Hauppauge WinTV card
    (the reeeeeally old ones from the late '90's, a WinTV-FM, which has
    served me really well all these years), I pulled it, and the small
    partition system returned to being stable.

    Right now I'm to the point of adding a LAN driver, so I can re-download
    Avast, and then apply all the other drivers.

    How is Cool'n'Quiet on the ASROCK boards? Should I install that driver?

    Rob
    Rob Perkins, Apr 24, 2006
  14. Well, if you had one of those in there, I'm not all that surprised. ;)

    As for cool and quiet? I wouldn't.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 24, 2006
  15. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Well, if you had one of those in there, I'm not all that surprised. ;)

    Fair enough. Any suggestions for a replacement?

    > As for cool and quiet? I wouldn't.

    I added the Athlon 64 driver, which appears to be certified. I think
    cool 'n' quiet is disabled on the mobo. I also disabled all the serial
    and parallel ports I'm not using right now.

    So far no power management functions, including ACPI S3 mode, appear to
    be available. I'm going to leave off the SATAII driver for now, on the
    logic that it's working OK now and I don't want to complicate things.

    I figure, whatever. Maybe Vista on this machine will improve things
    sometime down the road.

    As for now, I installed fresh, thanked Him whom I worship that I had the
    presence of mind to put my critical stuff into virtual machines, and I
    only have two or three apps left to go to install.

    Things appear to be working OK now.

    Rob
    Rob Perkins, Apr 24, 2006
  16. Hi, Carlos - and thank you! I'll have a look, and see if I can leave the old
    habits behind? Actually, I had thought all along that nVidia, after
    introducing the 'unified driver architecture', was attempting to do such
    un-installation clean-up kind-a-work, only not always with the same success.
    Usually I find the updating works flawlessly.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 24, 2006
  17. Hopefully Andre will pipe up with suggestions, or check planetamd64.com. I
    don't use TV on my x64 boxes - that's what TiVo is for - so I don't pay a
    whole lot of attention.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 25, 2006
  18. Tony:
    Here's the guide:
    http://content.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=review&id=23
    Here's the link for the file:
    http://www.guru3d.com/guide/det-xp-install-guide/Files/NVXP-ALL.exe
    Happy updating from now on!
    Carlos
    P.S.: This guide could also be helpful for Andre, who is another NVIDIA user

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 25, 2006
  19. Rob Perkins

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Rob:

    I'm using a Leadtek TV2000 XP Expert capture card with the x64
    drivers from http://tw1965.myweb.hinet.net/. I capture TV using Cyberlink
    Power Director 5 or watch TV using ShowShifter.

    Dennis Pack, Apr 25, 2006
  20. phewwwwwwwwwww - you saved me, thanks Dennis.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 25, 2006