    the same body (and lens?) then the current 5MP models.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Alfred Molon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Alfred Molon

    >Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
    >2.872 x 2.160 pixels

    "pixels" doesn't make sense, did you mean "cm" and just mistype it?

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Alfred Molon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >>From: Alfred Molon
    >
    >>Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
    >>2.872 x 2.160 pixels

    >From: dy (Bill Hilton)
    >
    >"pixels" doesn't make sense, did you mean "cm" and just mistype it?

    On second thought I'll bet this is just a different way of expressing numbers,
    and "2.872 x 2.160 pixels" would be expressed as "2,872 x 2,160 pixels" in
    other countries (like mine), right?

    If so, sorry for the first post. I've been to Europe enough times that I
    should have caught this first time around :)

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Alfred Molon

    Phöènix Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>> From: Alfred Molon

    >>> Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
    >>> 2.872 x 2.160 pixels

    >> From: dy (Bill Hilton)
    >>
    >> "pixels" doesn't make sense, did you mean "cm" and just mistype it?

    > On second thought I'll bet this is just a different way of expressing
    > numbers, and "2.872 x 2.160 pixels" would be expressed as "2,872 x
    > 2,160 pixels" in other countries (like mine), right?

    I don't know of a country in which 2.872 is not a decimal expression. Anyone
    know?

    > If so, sorry for the first post. I've been to Europe enough times
    > that I should have caught this first time around :)

    I think it more likely the OP just made a small notation error.

    Phöènix, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Alfred Molon

    Vlad Dracul Guest

    "Phöènix" <mindyouownbusiness> schreef in bericht

    > I don't know of a country in which 2.872 is not a decimal expression.

    Anyone
    > know?

    2.872 to me means two-thousand, eight-hundred and seventy-two

    VVlad
    (from the Netherlands)
    Vlad Dracul, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Alfred Molon

    Nils Rostedt Guest

    > I don't know of a country in which 2.872 is not a decimal expression.

    Anyone
    > know?

    Take a look and browse the Regional Settings in your Control Panel. A number
    of major languages use the full stop as thousands separator and the comma as
    decimal separator.
    Nils Rostedt, Dec 20, 2003
  8. On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:37:40 GMT, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.golem.de/0312/28988.html
    >(sorry only German)
    >
    >Basically the article says that Sharp has created a 1/1.8" CCD with
    >six million pixels. Pixel pitch is 2.5 micrometer and the image size is
    >2.872 x 2.160 pixels (the CCD itself has a size of 7.2 x 5.3 mm).
    >
    >It's not clear yet how the noise levels of this new CCD will be, but
    >now at least in theory that opens the way for the shift to "compact
    >high-end" cameras with 6MP.
    >Olympus, Canon and others might now launch 6060, G6 etc. cameras with
    >the same body (and lens?) then the current 5MP models.

    good news! I never knew Sharp made their own CCDs.
    ThermosBoy (TM), Dec 20, 2003
  9. Alfred Molon

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <bs1lkq$pkb$1.nb.home.nl>,
    says...
    > 2.872 to me means two-thousand, eight-hundred and seventy-two
    >
    > VVlad
    > (from the Netherlands)

    Also means the same in MANY places.. the only place I
    know of that you amost NEVER see that type of notation
    is in our U.S. grade 1 through 12 school system.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery
    Larry Lynch, Dec 20, 2003
  10. On 2003-12-20, Larry Lynch <> wrote:
    > In article <bs1lkq$pkb$1.nb.home.nl>,
    > says...
    >> 2.872 to me means two-thousand, eight-hundred and seventy-two
    >>
    >> VVlad
    >> (from the Netherlands)
    >>

    > Also means the same in MANY places.. the only place I
    > know of that you amost NEVER see that type of notation
    > is in our U.S. grade 1 through 12 school system.

    But you also learn wrong measurements there. You still use
    imperial measurements, even though the empire itsel is officially
    metric by now.

    I know US engineers designing for the military must be metric now.
    How much else has changed over ?
    Povl H. Pedersen, Dec 21, 2003
  11. Alfred Molon

    Don Coon Guest

    "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    > On 2003-12-20, Larry Lynch <> wrote:
    > > In article <bs1lkq$pkb$1.nb.home.nl>,
    > > says...
    > >> 2.872 to me means two-thousand, eight-hundred and seventy-two
    > >>
    > >> VVlad
    > >> (from the Netherlands)
    > >>

    > > Also means the same in MANY places.. the only place I
    > > know of that you amost NEVER see that type of notation
    > > is in our U.S. grade 1 through 12 school system.

    > But you also learn wrong measurements there.

    Different doesn't necessarily mean "wrong."

    > You still use
    > imperial measurements, even though the empire itsel is officially
    > metric by now.

    I agree that a 10x based system is better but so what if the "empire is
    officially metric"?

    But then again, why are we still using a 10-based system when a binary
    system is obviously more natural and better? :)

    Don Coon, Dec 21, 2003
  12. "Povl H. Pedersen" <> writes:

    >But you also learn wrong measurements there. You still use
    >imperial measurements, even though the empire itsel is officially
    >metric by now.

    These are two independent issues. For example, Canada is officially
    metric, highway signs and package sizes in the stores are all metric,
    but we still use a period as the decimal location and a comma as a
    thousands separator.

    I thought that a recommended metric system standard was to use spaces
    to separate thousands groups, and either comma or period for the decimal
    point location, which should be unambiguous to everyone.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 21, 2003
  13. Alfred Molon

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <slrnbub0c3.bs0.nospam@via-
    epia.home.terminal.dk>, says...
    > But you also learn wrong measurements there. You still use
    > imperial measurements, even though the empire itsel is officially
    > metric by now.
    >
    > I know US engineers designing for the military must be metric now.
    > How much else has changed over ?

    Almost everything manufactured is done so with the
    metric system, ie cars, boats, trucks, ect. (except for
    the size of the lug nuts on American built cars, which,
    last time I checked were STILL imperial. So for
    everything bolted onto and into the car, you (sensibly)
    use metric, but for the lug nuts you need imperial..
    Wierd enough??

    Its even worse at the grocers.. Milk is still sold in
    pints/quarts/half-gallons/gallons, but Soda-pop is in
    1/2 litre/litre/2 litre bottles.

    Booze OTOH is sold in pints and Fifths (???) and beer,
    by the ounce. Go figure.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery