    personal net wirelessly.

    Thanks in advance.

    John Williams
    John Williams, Jan 1, 2007

  2. Hi

    Trying to recap, you have three computers.

    A wired Desktop, A Wireless Media Center, and a Wireless Laptop.

    When you move away from the Wireless Router, the signal is Not strong enough
    to connect to the Router, so you think it would connect to the Media Center.

    In order to connect to the Media Center to the Laptop, both the Media center
    computer and the Laptop would have to be configuring to Ad-Hoc Mode. While
    in Ad-Hoc Mode, they cannot communicate with the Wireless Router.

    If you buy a second Wireless Card for the media center, then it can be
    configured one card in Ad-Hoc to the Laptop, and the second card to connect
    the Router.

    However if it works (the signal might be weak in other parts of the house)
    the Laptop (being in Ad-Hoc) would not be able to connect the Router even if
    it would be in the same Room. In addition, such a configuration needs a
    double NAT (by using ICS) which usually result in slow and unstable system.

    Since you have to buy a second card you are, better of buying a second
    Router that can do WDS and create a better Wireless Network that cover you
    entire house.
    Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific Environment. In most
    cases, there is No Magic Hardware that can solve Distance issues.
    Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
    means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you environment
    best.
    Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
    Wirelessly Bridging Home/SOHO Network - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Hi Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless -
    http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    The most common solutions used in a Professional Environment involves the
    use of multiple units (Access Point) connected with wire to the Network, or
    setting a WDS Network. To ensure proper work of WDS the communicating
    Wireless units should be of the same manufacturer,
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 1, 2007

  3. Hi Jack:

    Thanks for your response and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    I've made some comments within your response below in an effort to clarify
    my situation. Any additional help you might offer in view of my comments
    would be appreciated.

    John Williams
    > Hi
    >
    > Trying to recap, you have three computers.

    Not so. I have two.

    > A wired Desktop, A Wireless Media Center, and a Wireless Laptop.

    A Desktop running WinXP Media Center Edition 2005 and a Laptoop running
    WinXP Home Edition. The Desktop is wired to the router using the Desktop's
    Ethernet connection point. Both computers access the internet and my
    network thru wireless connections controlled by selecting MyNet or the WIFI
    provider's net's name.

    > When you move away from the Wireless Router, the signal is Not strong
    > enough to connect to the Router, so you think it would connect to the
    > Media Center.

    Not so. The Laptop has no problem connecting to my router from any place in
    my house. My problem is it cannot connect to the internet from any place in
    the house.

    ******
    No more comments. I have to do some homework to understand what you are
    saying.
    ******

    John Williams, Jan 1, 2007
  4. John Williams

    Steve Guest

    Hi John

    Just for clarification you have only two computers?

    Desktop with WinXP Media Center with a WiFi card that you to connect to your
    internet service provider and hard wired network card that connects to your
    router for file and print sharing? To the Laptop by WiFi? If so you will
    need to use ICS or Bridge the network cards not sure which is the best way
    to go? I am sure Jack's great site will tell you

    Hope this is of some help

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 1, 2007
  5. Hi

    The simplest way would be to use Windows ICS on the desktop to Route between
    the Desktop and the laptop through the Wireless Router.

    I.e. Internet comes WIFI to the Desktop; Routes through the Desktop’s wired
    NIC to the Wireless Router. The Wireless Router should be set like a switch
    with an access point. (http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ).

    Under such an arrangement, only the Desktop connects to the Internet and any
    other computer can be on the Network and get the Internet through the
    Router.

    However, such a topology necessitated that the Desktop would be On all the
    time and the Wireless post ICS might act out here and there.

    I am not familiar with your ISP, so depending on their system and their
    authentication method (ID and PW) it might or might not work

    Buy a second Wireless Router that can act as a Driversless Client Card. Set
    it to receive the WIFI Internet. Plug the new Router to the old Router
    Regular port on the new Router to the WAN port of the old one. Configure
    your Network to a regular peer-to-peer Topology around the second Router.

    Example to in expensive Wireless Router that can do Client,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 1, 2007
  6. Hi Jack:

    I appreciate your helping me. Much of what you say is over my head, but I'm
    learning.

    Regarding recommendation 1 (use ICS):

    I used the Network Setup Wizard selecting option 1 - This computer connects
    directly to the internet - for the desktop and option 2 - Connects thru
    another computer on my net - for the laptop. But, internet access from the
    laptop would not work. I did not set the router like a switch because I
    don't know how. The Ezlan article was way over my head and it dealt with
    sharing a DSL or Wideband internet connection anyway. (I have been unable to
    find anything about sharing WIFI.) Since this didn't work, I have reset
    both computers to NetSetWiz option 5 - this computer belongs to a network
    which doesn't have an internet access connection. Thus, I can share files
    and printers but not internet access. The WIFI is non-secured so
    authentication is not a problem. My network is secured with 64-bit WEP. I
    realize that I shall have to turn on the desktop to use the hookup, but that
    will not be a problem. I'd like to get this to work but need more guidance
    from you or someone else..

    Regarding recommendation 2 (use a second wireless router):

    I happen to have a second router but don't know if either router can act as
    a Driverless Client Card or be configured peer-to-peer. I don't know what
    Driverless Client means let alone how to set up the router to be such and
    don't know how to setup peer-to-peer Topology if such is possible.

    I look forward to receiving your response.
    John Williams

    Us

    John Williams, Jan 2, 2007