    Try saving to a different file. Why is this happening? I am new to
    windows 7 and this never happened on XP

    Jim S

    Big Jim, Mar 5, 2010

  2. "Big Jim" <> wrote in message
    news:#...
    > When I make a change to an excel document and try to save it I get a msg
    > that said your changes could not be saved because of a sharing violation.
    > Try saving to a different file. Why is this happening? I am new to
    > windows 7 and this never happened on XP

    Try an Excel NG? I don't think this is a 64bit issue.

    FWIW this happens to my mother too. In her case she is still using floppy
    disks for her file management and always opens them from an Explorer window,
    so I suspect it is either the slowness of the device or the fact that she
    has two references to the file open at the same time, e.g. one in the
    Explorer window and one in Excel. Apparently the way Excel works is it
    saves the file with a temporary name, then it tries to delete the existing
    file, then it renames the temporary file to the existing filename. So it
    is probably at step 2 of that procedure where the failure is occurring.

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Mar 5, 2010

  3. Big Jim

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Maybe because you are trying to save your file to a shared folder in which
    you don't have the proper permissions.
    Try saving it to a local drive instead.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 5, 2010