    connection (ie. IM or PCanywhere). I show that I'm connected at a good
    signal but can't seem to do anything with it. Is there something I need to
    correct on my end?

    =?Utf-8?B?RWxrYQ==?=, Jul 29, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RWxrYQ==?=

    Dave Guest

    there is a lot more than seeing the 'unsecured' flag on a network to be able
    to use it to get to the internet. first you have to know that the network
    has internet connectivity. not all networks connect to the internet,
    believe it or not. then you have to know that the internet connection is
    active, some connections require dialing or logging in to a server, or
    physically turning on the modem or router that connects out. then you have
    to know that the network isn't secured by something like mac address
    filtering. then you have to get an ip address that works on the network,
    get the right net mask, and know the proper gateway and dns server
    addresses, or hope that the network has a dhcp server that will respond to
    you to give you that info without requiring some other type of
    authentication. now, if all that is working you might just be able to use
    the network to get out to the internet

    Dave, Jul 29, 2005