    internet from my ADSL so please I need some help to prevent him or even
    anybody else outside my house.
    Thanks in advance

    samh, May 22, 2005

  2. samh

    Dave Guest

    well, you can turn on wep or wpa encryption and/or limit access by specific
    mac addresses depending on your access point. time to get out the manual
    and see what it says.

    Dave, May 22, 2005

  3. samh

    Lem Guest

    samh wrote:

    > I have ADSL line and a wireless modem and access point between my 2 PCs at
    > home I discovered that is my neighbor can detect the signal and use the
    > internet from my ADSL so please I need some help to prevent him or even
    > anybody else outside my house.
    > Thanks in advance

    I can't do better than MS-MVP Malke (from whom the following was copied):

    Here are links to help you:

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    You first need to determine if your hardware - all parts: the router and
    the network adapter card(s) - support WPA. If one part does *not*, you
    will need to either update its firmware and/or drivers or just use WEP.
    You will set your router up (usually from a browser - consult the
    manual) and select your encryption method and key. Most often you will
    enter a passphrase to generate a key. You will not use the passphrase
    again - you will enter the key on the laptop.

    Lem, May 22, 2005