sharing printers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbnRhbA==?=, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. I have my PC with two printers connected to it. My husband's PC is wirelessly
    connected to internet via my router. How can I get him to access my printers?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbnRhbA==?=, Oct 25, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbnRhbA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Chantal wrote:

    > I have my PC with two printers connected to it. My husband's PC is
    > wirelessly connected to internet via my router. How can I get him to
    > access my printers?

    All you need to do is set up your local area network and share out the
    printers.

    You didn't say what operating systems the two machines are running, but
    I will assume Windows XP. First, for the network:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Then create shares as desired, including sharing the printers. XP Home
    does not permit sharing of users' home directories (My Documents) or
    Program Files, but you can share folders inside those directories. A
    better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.

    For the printers - your husband's computer may pick up the two printers
    automatically. If it does, then you're done. If it doesn't, then how
    you set them up depends on the printer installation instructions. For
    instance, most HP printers require you to use the installation disk
    that came with the printer on each computer where you want to add the
    printer. So you'll need to look at your printer instructions. If you
    didn't keep the setup instructions, most printers have a Help file when
    you install them and you can also go to the printer mftr.'s website.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Oct 25, 2006

  3. I'm going to do what you suggest. And yes you are correct we both have
    windows XP and Windows 2003 Professional. I will get back to you when I have
    tried. Thanks for repying to my message. Chantal

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbnRhbA==?=, Oct 26, 2006
  4. I have tried but no connection. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbnRhbA==?=, Oct 26, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbnRhbA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Chantal wrote:

    > I have tried but no connection. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

    Me neither, because I can't see your computers from here and I don't
    know what you did. Go through the network troubleshooter by MVP
    Hans-Georg Michna thoroughly:

    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    It takes a bit of time but is worth it. If you still can't figure it
    out, your best course of action would be to have a local professional
    come on-site and set you up properly. This will not be someone from
    your local version of BigStoreUSA/Geek Squad. This will not take long;
    much less time than you have already spent on it.

    Malke

    Malke, Oct 26, 2006
  6. I have tried again today and now it is working. I went first into my own PC,
    shared my two printers, then went back to my husband's pc which automatically
    found the two printers I was ready to share. As simple as that! I don't know
    why I hadn't first allowed my printers to be shared.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbnRhbA==?=, Nov 9, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbnRhbA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Chantal wrote:

    > I have tried again today and now it is working. I went first into my
    > own PC, shared my two printers, then went back to my husband's pc
    > which automatically found the two printers I was ready to share. As
    > simple as that! I don't know
    > why I hadn't first allowed my printers to be shared.

    I'm glad to hear you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let me
    know.

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 9, 2006