Sharing printers final hurdle

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Luis Ortega, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. Luis Ortega

    Luis Ortega Guest

    I have been trying for over a week to get my new Mac Pro and my son's
    PC to share files and printers with no luck.

    (We use a Belkin pre-n wireless router. The Mac is connected via
    ethernet cable and has a USB Canon printer connected to it. The PC
    connects via a Belkin USB wireless n adapter and has USB Epson printer
    connected to it. The PC runs Windows XP and the Mac Pro runs Leopard
    10.5.2 and also has Windows XP on it via Bootcamp.)

    I had no trouble getting printer and file sharing going between the
    two computers when both are running Windows, but I could get nothing
    to work when the Mac Pro was running OSX.
    I tried everything that people on the forums and the Apple support
    documents advised but with no success. Repeatedly.

    Then yesterday I suddenly discovered that my son's PC was listed under
    shared in Finder.
    I tried printing from his computer to the printer on my Mac and it
    worked.
    I could now see his shared folders on my Mac.
    Almost there!

    Then when I tried to print from my Mac to the printer on his PC it
    started printing- but not the test document I had sent.
    It started printing out pages and pages of lines of text and characters.
    I let it run for a while but it never stopped and I was afraid that it
    would run out of ink so I turned off the printer to stop the printout.
    I could not stop it from the printer window on my Mac because it said
    the job was complete.
    When I restarted the printer it stayed idle, but when I tried to print
    my test page again the process started all over until I stopped it
    again by turning off the printer.
    The first few lines look like this:

    %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    %APL_DSC_Encoding: UTF8
    %APLProducer: (Version 10.5.2 (Build 9C31) Quartz PS Context)
    %%Title: (untitled)
    %%Creator: (TextEdit: cgpdftops CUPS filter)

    and so on. It was up to 5 pages of this when I stopped it.

    The second time I tried, it started again printing the exact same
    stuff until I stopped it.

    Do I need to let it print its little heart out until it gets it out of
    its system, or is this an error?

    Can anyone please advise on what is going on and what I can do now to
    get the final piece of my printer and file sharing setup to work?

    Thanks a lot for any advice.

    Luis Ortega, Mar 13, 2008

  2. Luis Ortega

    Kurt Guest

    The MAC is sending a Postscript file to the printer. The driver you've
    chosen is for a Postscript (rather than PCL or whatever language the
    printer speaks. Either that, or you're sending a raw Postscript file.
    With a MAC (or Linux, Unix, BSD, whatever), your best bet for sharing
    files and printers with Windows is to use Samba. Macs might be easy to
    run, but their networking tool are decidedly stone age. I'd bet there
    are built-in GUI tools for configuring Samba, and a Samba client, too.

    Kurt

    Kurt, Mar 19, 2008