    the Workgroup. Though I've tried both with no luck. The third option button
    is for connecting through the Net, which I don 't want, so I am really
    stumped.
    Rosie, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Rosie

    Malke Guest

    Rosie wrote:

    > Using my PC and Notebook, I am able to share files and connect to
    > the Net
    > without any problems.
    > However, though my printer is connected to the PC, when I open
    > Network
    > Places folder in the Notebook, the printer doesn't appear. I can't
    > figure out how to get around this.
    > then '
    > I have enabled sharing on the printer on the PC. I then go to
    > notebook, 'Add a printer' in Printers and Faxes. Try browse for a
    > printer and it only shows 'Microsoft Windows Network' I then select
    > the 'Connect to this Printer' button and type in the string for the
    > printer, but that doesn't work. I wonder if I am typing the wrong
    > string. It should be \\computer_name\printer-name. Is it the PC's
    > computer name it needs, or is the Workgroup. Though I've tried both
    > with no luck. The third option button is for connecting through the
    > Net, which I don 't want, so I am really stumped.

    You didn't mention the make/model of the printer. Quite a few current HP
    printers (for ex.) need you to install the drivers on the client
    machines (i.e., your notebook) before going to Add Printer. Did you do
    this? If not, put the printer installation CD in the notebook's drive
    and install the drivers.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Rosie

    Rosie Guest

    Thanks for your help.
    My printer is a HP photosmart 7550 which is a few years old. I did have
    printer sharing set up on another notebook, without any problem. However,
    I've since got rid of it and now want to share the printer with my new (much
    lighter) notebook. I just can't figure out how to do the same with this new
    one. I know I didn't have to install the printer's drivers on the older
    notebook, but I'll certainly give it a try.

    (Later) How do I just install the drivers only? When I tried just now the
    software said the printer's USB cable should be inserted into the notebook,
    to complete the installing of the software. Which is not what is needed.

    Rosie, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Rosie

    Malke Guest

    Rosie wrote:

    > Thanks for your help.
    > My printer is a HP photosmart 7550 which is a few years old. I did
    > have printer sharing set up on another notebook, without any problem.
    > However, I've since got rid of it and now want to share the printer
    > with my new (much lighter) notebook. I just can't figure out how to do
    > the same with this new one. I know I didn't have to install the
    > printer's drivers on the older notebook, but I'll certainly give it a
    > try.
    >
    > (Later) How do I just install the drivers only? When I tried just now
    > the software said the printer's USB cable should be inserted into the
    > notebook, to complete the installing of the software. Which is not
    > what is needed.

    Usually there is a box in the HP installation to check that says
    something like "continue without connecting the printer". Check that
    box and continue installing the drivers.

    Once you've finished installing the drivers, go to the Printers/Fax
    applet and do Add Printer. Choose "a network printer or printer
    connected to another computer". Obviously you need to make sure the
    local area network is working, the computer that is hosting the printer
    is on, you set sharing on the printer, and the printer is on. If all of
    those conditions are true, the printer will show up in the Add Printer
    dialog and you can select it.

    Malke
    Malke, Aug 23, 2006