    folders and have someone else login as "Matt" and give them access to 2 of
    those 3 and 2 different ones? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks!

    -Dan
    Dan Orth, Jul 14, 2004

  2. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:28:22 -0400, "Dan Orth" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi-
    >
    >I am setting up a wireless network for my dorm and I was wondering if there
    >is a way in Windows XP to share specific folders to specific users. Can I
    >have someone login to the Network as "Adam" and then give them access to 3
    >folders and have someone else login as "Matt" and give them access to 2 of
    >those 3 and 2 different ones? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks!
    >
    >-Dan

    If you are using Windows XP Pro yes - if you are using Windows XP Home
    then I think the answer is no.

    It depends on how comfortable you are finding your way around the
    various security configuration screens available within XP Pro. You
    would first need to turn off simple file sharing. In Explorer:

    tools -> folder options -> view

    The very bottom option should be "use simple file sharing
    (recommended)". Untick it. This will turn on the ability to fully
    customise access control levels over each and ever file on the system
    but it does get more complicated from here on in.

    Additionally, if the other users have administrator level accounts any
    access control you set up can be overridden by them if they know how.
    Best to reduce the status of their accounts, that way they cannot make
    alterations to the system configuration, including access control.

    The deeper you dig the more control you can have, but the question
    is.... how deep do you WANT to dig?

    You will also find that access permissions may be more restricted over
    the network than if they are logged in locally - you need to be aware
    of this otherwise you'll be spending lots of time scratching your head
    wondering why you've given a certain level of control to someone but
    they can't actually use it.
    Simon Pleasants, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Dan Orth

    Dan Orth Guest

    Thanks for your help. I have XP Home now but I will be upgrading shortly to
    Pro. Does this mean that when someone tries to connect to my computer over
    the wireless network I should create a user account with their name locally?
    If this is correct, then I should just go about setting access for them like
    they were a local account and hoping that will also take effect when they
    connect wirelessly?

    -Dan

    Dan Orth, Jul 15, 2004
  4. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:48:20 -0400, "Dan Orth" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your help. I have XP Home now but I will be upgrading shortly to
    >Pro. Does this mean that when someone tries to connect to my computer over
    >the wireless network I should create a user account with their name locally?
    >If this is correct, then I should just go about setting access for them like
    >they were a local account and hoping that will also take effect when they
    >connect wirelessly?
    >
    >-Dan

    If you're changing the OS then there's little point in doing anything
    just now anyway. As I understand it, XP-Hm doesn't allow you to
    disable simple file sharing, hence it cannot fulfil the requirements
    you need.

    Personally I treat my workstation like a server. It runs XP-Pro and
    has three shares which the laptops use as network drives P,Q and R or
    something like that. Therefore the laptops have to have the same log
    accounts as the main computer. When they try to connect the main
    computer immediately recognises the account permits access. All user
    accounts are permitted full control over the network, however these
    settings are over-ridden locally. For instance on some directories,
    such as ones containing financial information, I've removed all
    generic privileges and allowed access only to my own ID. On others,
    such as ones which contain our family photo libraries I've set access
    for individual users to different levels. My account has full control
    so I can work from anywhere nearby. The Mrs has read only access and
    also cannot delete or move files. In another folder she can see a
    list of the documents but not open any of them (in reality she knows
    my password so if she felt so inclined she could look at anything she
    wants).

    The key thing is that the username and password of accounts on the
    laptops exactly matches that of whatever is providing the shares or
    you will not be able to connect.
    Simon Pleasants, Jul 16, 2004