Sharing My Documents

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bhoona, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Bhoona

    Bhoona Guest

    Hi,

    I am bit puzzled and hope someone can help.

    I have 2 PC's on a LAN connected via a router.
    I am able to share files between them fine. However, my laptop will not
    allow me to share the whole "My Documents" folder. I have to copy/ move a
    file to "My Shared Documents" folder before the other PC can see them.

    Oh.... I am running Win XP Pro on both.

    The other machine is cool. But the laptop shows the area in "Share this
    folder" as grey out. So I cannot take the tick out of "Make this folder
    private" option.

    Any Ideas?

    Thanks

    Bhoona.

    Bhoona, Apr 14, 2004

  2. > I have 2 PC's on a LAN connected via a router.
    > I am able to share files between them fine. However, my laptop will not
    > allow me to share the whole "My Documents" folder. I have to copy/ move
    > a file to "My Shared Documents" folder before the other PC can see them.

    Right Click your "My Documents" Folder and select Sharing and Security

    FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    The future is our past and our past is our future.

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Bhoona

    Gordon Guest

    Bebop & Rocksteady cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:

    >>I have 2 PC's on a LAN connected via a router.
    >>I am able to share files between them fine. However, my laptop will not
    >>allow me to share the whole "My Documents" folder. I have to copy/ move
    >>a file to "My Shared Documents" folder before the other PC can see them.

    > Right Click your "My Documents" Folder and select Sharing and Security

    That's after selecting "Properties" :)

    Gordon, Apr 15, 2004

  4. >> Right Click your "My Documents" Folder and select Sharing and Security

    > That's after selecting "Properties" :)

    Shouldn't have to in XP is in the right click pop menu... Well tis on my
    system any how...

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Bhoona

    Gordon Guest

    Bebop & Rocksteady cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:

    >>>Right Click your "My Documents" Folder and select Sharing and Security

    >>That's after selecting "Properties" :)

    > Shouldn't have to in XP is in the right click pop menu... Well tis on my
    > system any how...

    Strange - not in mine (XP Pro........)

    Gordon, Apr 16, 2004