sharing internet?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Freddie, Dec 28, 2007.

  1. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    "Freddie" <> wrote in message
    news:DVddj.23966$...
    > Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    > between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,: maybe a
    > cable only?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    I should have said, both are running XP PRO SP2

    Freddie, Dec 28, 2007

  3. Freddie

    Leroy Guest

    Freddie wrote:
    > Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    > between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,:
    > maybe a cable only?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    Here's a link for XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310563

    for others, google
    OSname Internet Connection sharing

    Altho, a router is simplest and they are quite cheap.
    Leroy, Dec 28, 2007
  4. Freddie

    philo Guest

    "Freddie" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    > between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,: maybe a
    > cable only?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    Yes...the output of the dsl modem simply goes to the router's input...
    then you may hook as many machines to the router's output as are connections
    philo, Dec 28, 2007
  5. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Freddie" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    >> between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,: maybe a
    >> cable only?
    >> Thanks for any replies.
    >>

    > Yes...the output of the dsl modem simply goes to the router's input...
    > then you may hook as many machines to the router's output as are
    > connections

    I don't have a router, I wanted to know could it be done without...
    Freddie, Dec 29, 2007
  6. Freddie

    G. Morgan Guest

    Freddie wrote:

    >Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    >between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,: maybe a
    >cable only?
    >Thanks for any replies.

    Without a router you'll need 2 NIC's on one of the PC's and create a
    network bridge. The second NIC will require a crossover cable to
    connect the two PC's.

    Or, if your cable modem has a USB port use it to connect one PC to the
    modem, then use a crossover Ethernet cable between the 2 PC's
    (Internet Connection Sharing Enabled on the one with USB plugged into
    modem).

    Or - use a Ethernet switch and enable ICS on one machine.

    Or - Just buy a damn router and do it right! $15 - EBAY
    G. Morgan, Dec 29, 2007
  7. Freddie

    old man Guest

    Buy a reuter

    old man, Dec 29, 2007
  8. Freddie

    Leroy Guest

    Freddie wrote:
    > Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    > between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,:
    > maybe a cable only?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    MFR and *complete* model number of modem?
    Leroy, Dec 29, 2007
  9. Freddie

    philo Guest

    "Freddie" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Freddie" <> wrote in message
    > >> Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    > >> between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,: maybe

    > >> cable only?
    > >> Thanks for any replies.
    > >>

    > > Yes...the output of the dsl modem simply goes to the router's input...
    > > then you may hook as many machines to the router's output as are
    > > connections
    > >

    > I don't have a router, I wanted to know could it be done without...

    Router is the best way.

    Otherwise you'd have to install a 2nd net card in one machine and get a
    crossover cable...
    but the configuration might be a bit of a headache
    philo, Dec 29, 2007
  10. Freddie

    JANA Guest

    You need a router. If you invent a reliable and easier way, let me know!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Dec 29, 2007
  11. Freddie

    philo Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > Freddie wrote:
    >
    > >Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    > >between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,: maybe a
    > >cable only?
    > >Thanks for any replies.

    > Without a router you'll need 2 NIC's on one of the PC's and create a
    > network bridge. The second NIC will require a crossover cable to
    > connect the two PC's.
    >
    > Or, if your cable modem has a USB port use it to connect one PC to the
    > modem, then use a crossover Ethernet cable between the 2 PC's
    > (Internet Connection Sharing Enabled on the one with USB plugged into
    > modem).
    >
    > Or - use a Ethernet switch and enable ICS on one machine.
    >
    > Or - Just buy a damn router and do it right! $15 - EBAY

    Some DSL modems have both a USB connection and an eithernet...
    so in theory you could connect two different machines...
    but yep...a Router is by far the best option
    philo, Dec 29, 2007
  12. Freddie

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:30:11 GMT, Freddie wrote:

    >Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    >between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,: maybe a
    >cable only?
    >Thanks for any replies.

    Yes you can, but it's much easier just to go with the router.

    How, ICS internet connection sharing,

    1st PC connected to DSL, you add a 2nd network card and a crossover RJ45
    UTP Cate5 or 5e or 6 cable.

    2nd PC you need a network card. Connect crossover cable between the 2
    PCs

    Then setup ICS.

    Problem 2nd PC to get connected needs 1st PC to be on.

    Easier to get a router, a network card in each PC, 2 patch cables RJ45
    UTP Cat5 or 5e or 6.

    Now you know that, www.google.com ,

    How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    Describes how to set up the Internet Connection Sharing feature in
    Microsoft Windows XP on the host and client computer. Describes how you
    can use this ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126 - Similar pages

    Description of Internet Connection Sharing
    This article describes Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Note that this
    article is for informational use only, and because of this, it may not
    contain ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234815 - Similar pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    Internet Connection Sharing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is the name given by Microsoft to a
    feature in recent versions of its Windows operating system (as of
    Windows 98 Second ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Connection_Sharing - 24k - Cached
    - Similar pages

    Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enables a Windows computer to share
    its Internet connection with computers on local area networks. ...
    www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ - 119k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Me
    why?, Dec 29, 2007
  13. Freddie

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 03:31:12 -0500, "JANA" <>
    wrote:

    >You need a router. If you invent a reliable and easier way, let me know!

    I think about 5 other people have explained how to.
    Evan Platt, Dec 29, 2007
  14. Freddie

    nobody > Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> Freddie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to share an internet connection (DSL from cable modem)
    >>> between a PC and a Laptop, without using a router, for example,: maybe a
    >>> cable only?
    >>> Thanks for any replies.

    >> Without a router you'll need 2 NIC's on one of the PC's and create a
    >> network bridge. The second NIC will require a crossover cable to
    >> connect the two PC's.
    >>
    >> Or, if your cable modem has a USB port use it to connect one PC to the
    >> modem, then use a crossover Ethernet cable between the 2 PC's
    >> (Internet Connection Sharing Enabled on the one with USB plugged into
    >> modem).
    >>
    >> Or - use a Ethernet switch and enable ICS on one machine.
    >>
    >> Or - Just buy a damn router and do it right! $15 - EBAY
    >>

    > Some DSL modems have both a USB connection and an eithernet...
    > so in theory you could connect two different machines...
    > but yep...a Router is by far the best option

    As stated in another thread, you can't use the USB and LAN connections
    on a modem simultaneously. (at least on the modems I've seen).
    nobody >, Dec 30, 2007