    I am wanting to do this at home,

    From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP pro )
    via wireless, and eventually to PC #3 (Win 2k) wireless too.

    Are you able to give me an idea of equipment needed and methods to do this?
    I would like to do it myself for the experience, also your recommendations
    on equipment (DSL modem, wireless etc). Or perhaps a helpful URL to guide
    me.

    Much thanks!

    Harty, Jul 8, 2003

  2. you need first to enable ICS (internet connection sharing on the win2k Pro)
    here is a website to help you :
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/ics.asp

    you will need an Access Point for the wireless network:
    here is a site on how to set up the wireless network:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/wirelessnetworking.asp

    for the hardware it depends on the money you are willing to pay

    --

    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
    "Harty" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all
    >
    > I am wanting to do this at home,
    >
    > From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP

    pro )

    Wajihy [MSFT], Jul 8, 2003

  3. Harty

    aaron Guest

    Your best bet is to get a DSL router with a wireless access point. You can
    get one for @$100. This will give you a little added security also. Hook the
    DSL modem to the router/access point>Then hook your machines into the
    router.

    hth,
    aaron

    aaron, Jul 8, 2003
  4. "Harty" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all
    >
    > I am wanting to do this at home,
    >
    > From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP

    pro )
    > via wireless, and eventually to PC #3 (Win 2k) wireless too.
    >
    > Are you able to give me an idea of equipment needed and methods to do

    this?
    > I would like to do it myself for the experience, also your recommendations
    > on equipment (DSL modem, wireless etc). Or perhaps a helpful URL to guide
    > me.

    How have you got your DSL connection hooked up now?

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 9, 2003
  5. Harty

    Harty Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@**(*(*IHATESPAM*(**(K!!!mcs.co.nz> wrote in message

    > "Harty" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello all
    > >
    > > I am wanting to do this at home,
    > >
    > > From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP

    > pro )
    > > via wireless, and eventually to PC #3 (Win 2k) wireless too.
    > >
    > > Are you able to give me an idea of equipment needed and methods to do

    > this?
    > > I would like to do it myself for the experience, also your

    recommendations
    > > on equipment (DSL modem, wireless etc). Or perhaps a helpful URL to

    guide
    > > me.

    > How have you got your DSL connection hooked up now?

    I have decided to get an extyernal ethernet DSL modem, Dynalink RTA220.

    I hope that is a good choice!!

    Harty, Jul 10, 2003
  6. "Harty" <> wrote in message
    > > How have you got your DSL connection hooked up now?
    > >

    > I have decided to get an extyernal ethernet DSL modem, Dynalink RTA220.
    >
    > I hope that is a good choice!!

    Doesn't look like that device does Wireless - its probably going to be
    cheaper to get your wireless AP at the same time as your modem.

    Another option is to get a standalone access point, or alternatively you
    could get an internal (PCI) wireless card, put it in one of your machines
    and then use Windows XP to bridge the wireless and wired networks
    together...

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 10, 2003
  7. Harty

    lily Guest

    > "Harty" <> wrote in message
    > > > How have you got your DSL connection hooked up now?
    > > >

    > > I have decided to get an extyernal ethernet DSL modem, Dynalink RTA220.
    > >
    > > I hope that is a good choice!!

    > Doesn't look like that device does Wireless - its probably going to be
    > cheaper to get your wireless AP at the same time as your modem.
    >
    > Another option is to get a standalone access point, or alternatively you
    > could get an internal (PCI) wireless card, put it in one of your machines
    > and then use Windows XP to bridge the wireless and wired networks
    > together...

    You don't need to tie up your expensive XP box like that :)
    There is an impressive Netgear product out there which integrates all those
    functions.
    Ideal for cable modem customers.
    I saw it in Oz for ~$250
    http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=151&view=
    or even this one with the ADSL built in
    http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=165&view=

    lily, Jul 11, 2003
  8. "lily" <> wrote in message
    > You don't need to tie up your expensive XP box like that :)
    > There is an impressive Netgear product out there which integrates all

    those
    > functions.
    > Ideal for cable modem customers.
    > I saw it in Oz for ~$250
    > http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=151&view=
    > or even this one with the ADSL built in
    > http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=165&view=

    That's nice, but if its adsl/wireless/switch in one that the original poster
    wants, then I think you would be hard pressed to find a better unit than the
    Dynalink RTA300W http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm almost
    solely because it supports UPnP and because it _works_

    RRP $569, not sure what the street price is

    (I own no Dynalink or Askey stock, I'm just speaking the truth - every other
    vendor I suggest you support UPnP)

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 11, 2003
  9. Harty

    lily Guest

    > "lily" <> wrote in message
    > > You don't need to tie up your expensive XP box like that :)
    > > There is an impressive Netgear product out there which integrates all

    > those
    > > functions.
    > > Ideal for cable modem customers.
    > > I saw it in Oz for ~$250
    > > http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=151&view=
    > > or even this one with the ADSL built in
    > > http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=165&view=

    > That's nice, but if its adsl/wireless/switch in one that the original

    poster
    > wants, then I think you would be hard pressed to find a better unit than

    the
    > Dynalink RTA300W http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm almost
    > solely because it supports UPnP and because it _works_
    >
    > RRP $569, not sure what the street price is
    >
    > (I own no Dynalink or Askey stock, I'm just speaking the truth - every

    other
    > vendor I suggest you support UPnP)

    Always pleased to see more options out there, thanks for your contribution.
    What would the actual advantage of the day to day function of this UPnP be?

    lily, Jul 11, 2003
  10. Harty

    lily Guest

    > "lily" <> wrote in message
    > > > Dynalink RTA300W http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm almost
    > > > solely because it supports UPnP and because it _works_
    > > >
    > > > RRP $569, not sure what the street price is
    > > >
    > > > (I own no Dynalink or Askey stock, I'm just speaking the truth - every

    > > other
    > > > vendor I suggest you support UPnP)
    > > >

    > > Always pleased to see more options out there, thanks for your

    > contribution.
    > > What would the actual advantage of the day to day function of this UPnP

    > be?
    >
    > UPnP is needed because many protocols out there aren't NAT friendly (ie
    > won't work with most people's DSL because most people here in NZ are

    forced

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...chNet/prodtechnol/winxppro/support/upnp01.asp
    > http://www.upnp.org/

    Thanks
    I see Netgear is a member of the upnp organisation.
    Can you tell me if their products comply ?

    lily, Jul 12, 2003