sharing internet connection, pc and mac, over airport express... problems....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by iamthespam@gmail.com, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I have a powerbook working fine through wireless on my Airport Express.

    I am trying to set up a windows XP laptop with wireless to share the
    same internet connection.

    The XP machine can see my airport express but it needs a password and I

    can't figure out which one it is needing. The error messsage I get on
    the XP machine when trying to enter the password is this,

    "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
    network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii character
    or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

    I've got passwords coming out of my yang and don't know which one to
    enter. Any help is appreciated as to where to find this on my mac!

    Hector Polector.

    , Sep 2, 2005

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    > "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
    > network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii character
    > or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

    It has to do with the wireless encryprtion keys I think.

    long

    http://www.google.com/search?q=The network password needs to be 40bits or
    104bits+depending+on+your&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N

    short

    http://tinyurl.com/bavv7

    You can look at the 3rd one in the list *Wireless Security*.

    Google is your friend.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 2, 2005

  3. On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:13:46 -0700, iamthespam wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a powerbook working fine through wireless on my Airport Express.
    >

    > I am trying to set up a windows XP laptop with wireless to share the
    > same internet connection.
    >
    > The XP machine can see my airport express but it needs a password and I
    >
    > can't figure out which one it is needing. The error messsage I get on
    > the XP machine when trying to enter the password is this,
    >
    > "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
    > network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii character
    > or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."
    >
    > I've got passwords coming out of my yang and don't know which one to
    > enter. Any help is appreciated as to where to find this on my mac!
    >
    > Hector Polector.

    Is WEP enabled on your Airport Express? If not, make sure the Wireless
    network settings on the Windows computer is not trying to connect using
    WEP encryption.

    --
    The only easy day was yesterday.

    ITSO azionista, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Any help is appreciated as to where to find this on my mac!

    You may not have set up any password.

    In Applications > Utilities
    there are applications to help you setup and administer Airport
    settings. You are looking for security or encryption or login settings
    (Don't know the name because I use a third-party brand.)

    If there is no security set up for the network, then you need to know
    how to answer Windows' question without a password -- maybe just by
    leaving it blank?

    Mitch, Sep 2, 2005