    adapter but could not figure it out and at £70 took it back. I don't need
    wireless anyway or a modem so is there a cheap and easy method I can run
    either or both of these machines (at same time) on the internet?
    SS, Aug 21, 2005

  2. SS

    PC Guest

    "SS" <> wrote in message
    news:qbVNe.7925$...
    >I have 2 machines: Win 98Se and XPhome. I subscribe to NTL cable broadband
    > at 1MBS. The connection is via a small blue box 'high speed LAN-USB
    > adapter'
    > so th input to the computer is USB. To use either machine on the internet
    > currently swap the USB connection manually. I did buy a wireless network
    > adapter but could not figure it out and at £70 took it back. I don't need
    > wireless anyway or a modem so is there a cheap and easy method I can run
    > either or both of these machines (at same time) on the internet?

    See my reply to your next post
    Paul.
    PC, Aug 21, 2005

  3. SS

    FML Guest

    SS wrote:
    > I have 2 machines: Win 98Se and XPhome. I subscribe to NTL cable broadband
    > at 1MBS. The connection is via a small blue box 'high speed LAN-USB adapter'
    > so th input to the computer is USB. To use either machine on the internet I
    > currently swap the USB connection manually. I did buy a wireless network
    > adapter but could not figure it out and at £70 took it back. I don't need
    > wireless anyway or a modem so is there a cheap and easy method I can run
    > either or both of these machines (at same time) on the internet?

    Does your "blue box" have an ethernet port you can use instead of USB?
    The easiest way to do it would be to buy a router/switch where you can
    connect your "blue box" to the WAN port and your computers to your LAN
    ports using ethernet cabling. You do have ethernet network interface on
    your computers, right?

    If your blue box and computers have ethernet connectivity, the good news
    is that it will cost a lot less than £70 to "get'er done".
    FML, Aug 21, 2005