    Can anyone suggest a solution?

    Many thanks,

    Peter.

    PVR, Oct 1, 2007

  2. Hi
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 1, 2007

  3. PVR

    Jim Guest

    >I have 2 PCs both using WinXP2. I use a Linksys Router/Access Point and a
    >Linksys USB printserver. The desktop is connected by wire and the laptop is
    >connected wirelessly
    >
    > I have access to the "Net from both PCs. I have access to a printer from
    > both PCs. I cannot share files between the two PCs although I have used
    > the "Sharing and Security..." box for the files I wish to share.
    >
    > Obviously I am doing something wrong.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a solution?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Peter.

    Go to the websites of either MVP Jack or MVP Chuck for instructions.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 1, 2007
  4. PVR

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:33:55 -0400, "PVR" <peterv666@.adelphia.com> wrote:

    >I have 2 PCs both using WinXP2. I use a Linksys Router/Access Point and a
    >Linksys USB printserver. The desktop is connected by wire and the laptop is
    >connected wirelessly
    >
    >I have access to the "Net from both PCs. I have access to a printer from
    >both PCs. I cannot share files between the two PCs although I have used the
    >"Sharing and Security..." box for the files I wish to share.
    >
    >Obviously I am doing something wrong.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a solution?
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >
    >Peter.

    Peter,

    Details about what you see when you "cannot share files" wouldn't be a waste of
    space or time.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html

    Your problem frequently comes from a NetBT setting mismatch, or a personal
    firewall.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html

    This month, we have an update to Internet Explorer (yes, IE) possibly causing
    Windows Networking issues.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html

    Or we could look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
    server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the
    problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
    precisely (download browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

    Chuck [MVP], Oct 1, 2007
  5. PVR

    picoHat Guest

    It won't be difficult to share files in XP! You need to make sure you've enabled File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks on network card's properties. Also make sure both computers can ping each other.

    Then you can take a look on following 2 methods to share files in XP:

    Simple file sharing (no password)
    http://www.home-network-help.com/file-sharing.html

    File sharing with user/group permissions (XP pro)
    http://www.home-network-help.com/share-file.html

    Hope helps..

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    picoHat, Oct 2, 2007
  6. Hi There

    Have you tried file sharing with your firewall disabled? If not disable the
    firewalls on both computers and try to find the shared folder. Once you have
    found it right click on my computer and go to map a network drive, find the
    folder and select it. Turn your firewalls back on and you should be able to
    access the folder when you open up my computer and click on that network
    drive. I had this problem and it took me a couple of weeks to work out how to
    fix it.
    P.S. Your firewall settings will be in your antivirus software or under
    control panel's security menu. Make sure that you have your network secure
    with some form of encryption otherwise your files can be veiwed by other
    people.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBK?=, Oct 5, 2007