    Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
    this task?

    Charlie Beebee
    Charles Boyer, May 24, 2004

  2. Charles Boyer

    Brian Guest

    "Charles Boyer" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
    > port cable/dsl router.
    >
    > The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
    > accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
    >
    > I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
    > located side by side.
    >
    > So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
    >
    > I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
    > other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
    > experience so far.
    >
    > Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
    > this task?
    >

    > Charlie Beebee

    ok first things first..

    1. both computers have to be in the same work group/domain
    2. both PCs have to have a static address i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
    3. both PCs need to have DNS aktiviert
    4. if u want both PCs to share the i-net the "host" needs to have the ICS
    aktiviert (i-net connection anclicken>> and give it free)
    5. on the client the hosts IP should be written in as gateway and as dns
    server...
    in your explorer then network environment doubleclick and both PCs should
    find each other

    hope you have luck... but watch out your dsl router will not be as fast as
    lan(100kbps)

    if it needs to be quicker i would refer to a crossover cable between both
    PCs. will then have the 100kbps

    Brian
    Brian, May 24, 2004

  3. Charles Boyer

    Lynette Guest

    Charles Boyer wrote:
    > I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
    > port cable/dsl router.
    >
    > The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
    > accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
    >
    > I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
    > located side by side.
    >
    > So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
    >
    > I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
    > other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
    > experience so far.
    >
    > Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
    > this task?
    >

    > Charlie Beebee

    It really depends what operating system you are using but if it is
    windows xp then just set up a small office/home network workgroup. That
    allows you to file share.

    Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, Set Up or Change
    Your Home or Small Office Network, then follow the wizard.
    Hope this helps
    Lynette, May 24, 2004
  4. Charles Boyer

    zxcvbob Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > "Charles Boyer" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >>I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
    >>port cable/dsl router.
    >>
    >>The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
    >>accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
    >>
    >>I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
    >>located side by side.
    >>
    >>So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
    >>
    >>I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
    >>other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
    >>experience so far.
    >>
    >>Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
    >>this task?
    >>

    >>Charlie Beebee

    > ok first things first..
    >
    > 1. both computers have to be in the same work group/domain
    > 2. both PCs have to have a static address i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
    > 3. both PCs need to have DNS aktiviert
    > 4. if u want both PCs to share the i-net the "host" needs to have the ICS
    > aktiviert (i-net connection anclicken>> and give it free)
    > 5. on the client the hosts IP should be written in as gateway and as dns
    > server...
    > in your explorer then network environment doubleclick and both PCs should
    > find each other
    >
    > hope you have luck... but watch out your dsl router will not be as fast as
    > lan(100kbps)
    >
    > if it needs to be quicker i would refer to a crossover cable between both
    > PCs. will then have the 100kbps
    >
    > Brian

    Why do you say they have to have static IP addresses? The Linksys
    router is the DHCP server.

    You may have to tell your firewall software that the other computers in
    the network are "trusted"; set up 192.168.1.0 as a trusted zone because
    that's the range of addresses the router will assign, and they are
    non-routable addresses.

    And turn off ICS (I think that's what it's called -- the built-in
    firewall) in Windows XP.

    -Bob
    zxcvbob, May 24, 2004
  5. In article <>, says...
    > Brian wrote:
    > > "Charles Boyer" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >
    > >>I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
    > >>port cable/dsl router.
    > >>
    > >>The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
    > >>accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
    > >>
    > >>I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
    > >>located side by side.
    > >>
    > >>So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
    > >>
    > >>I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
    > >>other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
    > >>experience so far.
    > >>
    > >>Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
    > >>this task?
    > >>

    > >>Charlie Beebee

    > > ok first things first..
    > >
    > > 1. both computers have to be in the same work group/domain
    > > 2. both PCs have to have a static address i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
    > > 3. both PCs need to have DNS aktiviert
    > > 4. if u want both PCs to share the i-net the "host" needs to have the ICS
    > > aktiviert (i-net connection anclicken>> and give it free)
    > > 5. on the client the hosts IP should be written in as gateway and as dns
    > > server...
    > > in your explorer then network environment doubleclick and both PCs should
    > > find each other
    > >
    > > hope you have luck... but watch out your dsl router will not be as fast as
    > > lan(100kbps)
    > >
    > > if it needs to be quicker i would refer to a crossover cable between both
    > > PCs. will then have the 100kbps
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > Why do you say they have to have static IP addresses? The Linksys
    > router is the DHCP server.
    >
    > You may have to tell your firewall software that the other computers in
    > the network are "trusted"; set up 192.168.1.0 as a trusted zone because
    > that's the range of addresses the router will assign, and they are
    > non-routable addresses.
    >
    > And turn off ICS (I think that's what it's called -- the built-in
    > firewall) in Windows XP.
    >
    > -Bob

    OK, the Linksys now has the 192.168.1.0 setup as trusted. At least that
    is what Zone alarm is saying about that address.

    Where do I find this "ICS" thingie?

    Lynette,

    I got as far as Network connections. Then something called "local area
    network" came up. It doesn't go any further than that. so your
    instructions are missing something.
    Charles Boyer, May 24, 2004
  6. Charles Boyer

    zxcvbob Guest

    Charles Boyer wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Brian wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Charles Boyer" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >>>ok first things first..
    >>>
    >>>1. both computers have to be in the same work group/domain
    >>>2. both PCs have to have a static address i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
    >>>3. both PCs need to have DNS aktiviert
    >>>4. if u want both PCs to share the i-net the "host" needs to have the ICS
    >>>aktiviert (i-net connection anclicken>> and give it free)
    >>>5. on the client the hosts IP should be written in as gateway and as dns
    >>>server...
    >>>in your explorer then network environment doubleclick and both PCs should
    >>>find each other
    >>>
    >>>hope you have luck... but watch out your dsl router will not be as fast as
    >>>lan(100kbps)
    >>>
    >>>if it needs to be quicker i would refer to a crossover cable between both
    >>>PCs. will then have the 100kbps
    >>>
    >>>Brian
    >>>

    >>Why do you say they have to have static IP addresses? The Linksys
    >>router is the DHCP server.
    >>
    >>You may have to tell your firewall software that the other computers in
    >>the network are "trusted"; set up 192.168.1.0 as a trusted zone because
    >>that's the range of addresses the router will assign, and they are
    >>non-routable addresses.
    >>
    >>And turn off ICS (I think that's what it's called -- the built-in
    >>firewall) in Windows XP.
    >>
    >>-Bob
    >>

    > OK, the Linksys now has the 192.168.1.0 setup as trusted. At least that
    > is what Zone alarm is saying about that address.
    >
    > Where do I find this "ICS" thingie?
    >

    > Lynette,
    >
    > I got as far as Network connections. Then something called "local area
    > network" came up. It doesn't go any further than that. so your
    > instructions are missing something.

    I misspelled it. "ICF". Click on control panel -> Settings -> Network
    Connections -> Local Area Connection. Now click [Properies], then the
    Advanced tab, and uncheck the "Protect my computer..." box.

    Also, you need to tell ZA that the range of addresses 192.168.1.0 thru
    192.168.1.255 is trusted (I think you can do the same thing with the
    subnet mask.)

    Good luck, and best regards,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, May 24, 2004
  7. Charles Boyer

    Romper Guest

    was said before :

    >Brian wrote:
    >> "Charles Boyer" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >>>I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
    >>>port cable/dsl router.
    >>>
    >>>The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
    >>>accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
    >>>
    >>>I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
    >>>located side by side.
    >>>
    >>>So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
    >>>
    >>>I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
    >>>other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
    >>>experience so far.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
    >>>this task?
    >>>

    >>>Charlie Beebee

    <SNIP><reply relates to second section>

    >Why do you say they have to have static IP addresses? The Linksys
    >router is the DHCP server.
    >
    >You may have to tell your firewall software that the other computers in
    >the network are "trusted"; set up 192.168.1.0 as a trusted zone because
    >that's the range of addresses the router will assign, and they are
    >non-routable addresses.
    >
    >And turn off ICS (I think that's what it's called -- the built-in
    >firewall) in Windows XP.
    >
    >-Bob

    to hard wire for above buy a switch, connect the router to the switch
    and both computers as well, now tell both computers to look for the
    default gateway which is the ip address of the router, accessable by
    right clicking on network neighbourhood) on the desk top) Properties,
    tab to default gateway.
    then in identification check they are both on the same network E>
    Workgroup (or the name you wish to give your internal network. Press
    apply and away you go, both should now reboot and access the internet
    from either machine, also using network neighbourhood access each
    other, make sure you have activated file sharing while in network
    neigbourhhod or they cant share, also share a folder on each to make
    sure.
    Hope that helps

    Romper

    Outa here.... got a muppet to save
    Romper, May 25, 2004
  8. Charles Boyer

    dayun838

    Joined:
    May 22, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Using FolderTrasnfer.com is a good and easy way to transfer and share files between two computers on the same network.
    dayun838, May 22, 2014